If You Are a Civilian Do You Carry a Backup Gun? - Page 3

If You Are a Civilian Do You Carry a Backup Gun?

This is a discussion on If You Are a Civilian Do You Carry a Backup Gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yea. My BUG is a 5'1" Brunette with a 642 in a Tommy Pack....

View Poll Results: If you are a civilian do you carry a backup gun?

Voters
451. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yup

80 17.74%
  • No

224 49.67%
  • Rarely

113 25.06%
  • Most of the time, but not always.

34 7.54%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: If You Are a Civilian Do You Carry a Backup Gun?

Yea. My BUG is a 5'1" Brunette with a 642 in a Tommy Pack.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Well, I never have. I don't intend to start doing so, either, mostly because I just don't see it as likely that I'd need a second gun. I'm not going into combat every day; I'm not even going into "bad areas" every day (or pretty much ever). I also don't think it's likely that my GLOCK is going to fail me if needed, and I don't think I've trained myself to be handling a "gun disabled by incoming fire" situation in the first place (another reason for having a backup, according to articles I've read).

I consider myself well-enough-defended with one gun; that's a compromise, since I really do understand that if one gun is good, two is even better. But I am not willing to weigh myself down with a second gun. It's hard enough concealing one, for me.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    My cc reads "concealed weapon or firearm license"; not plural. I believe it is worded that way on purpose, and wouldn't want to loose my priviledge because of a strict interpretation of the title.
    You're in Florida, as am I (and a bunch of folks on this forum). Do you have any actual knowledge of the law stating that you're limited to one gun at a time? I don't recall language of that sort in the statute (I'd have to recheck, because I never read it looking for that), and I would not go by the words printed on the actual license card; that's not the statute, that's just the license. The terms of licensure are in the statute book, not on the card they mail you.

I'd like to see someone chime in on this, particularly someone who really knows the facts.

VIP Member
    From time to time I am forced to head into areas that I would rather not be in. When that happens, there is a possibility that I'll drop the P3AT in my pocket to go along with the Sig on my hip. When the possibility of a problem goes up, Murphey is more likely to be in the area. And, if you have a stoppage, the quickest way to get back into the fight is to have a second gun.

That said, I probably have a second gun on my person no more than 3-4 times a year. I make an effort to avoid bad places and an even bigger effort to avoid bad places at bad times.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    You're in Florida, as am I (and a bunch of folks on this forum). Do you have any actual knowledge of the law stating that you're limited to one gun at a time? I don't recall language of that sort in the statute (I'd have to recheck, because I never read it looking for that), and I would not go by the words printed on the actual license card; that's not the statute, that's just the license. The terms of licensure are in the statute book, not on the card they mail you.

I'd like to see someone chime in on this, particularly someone who really knows the facts.
    http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...n%2006#0790.06

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.--

(1) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms to persons qualified as provided in this section. Each such license must bear a color photograph of the licensee. For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s. 790.001(9). Such licenses shall be valid throughout the state for a period of 5 years from the date of issuance. Any person in compliance with the terms of such license may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm notwithstanding the provisions of s. 790.01. The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon or firearm and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. Violations of the provisions of this subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of $25, payable to the clerk of the court.

I suppose if one was a stickler for interpreting the language of the statute, then the use of a in the above highlighted paragraph would indicate a single concealed weapon or firearm. Your interpretation, or a judge's, may differ. Personally, I don't carry a BUG, but if I should choose to do so in the future I would certainly pursue a more definitive, and legal, interpretation of the statute.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

VIP Member
    I put "rarely," especially in this summer heat. I lose places to hide backups when it's 101 degrees outside.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I can understand someone not carrying one but I cannot understand somebody being against somebody carrying one. Remember, guns are machines, mechanical equipment like drills or saws, or car engines, they can fail at some point. Sometimes, like your car you cannot repair it, until you take it to a mechanic. I would hate have a "blown motor" in a gunfight/self defense situation. Just my .02.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Really depends where I'm going. I live just outside of a small city halfway between NYC and Philadelphia, a haven for drug gangs and their friends. There are a lot of shootings, home invasions, etc. in the city, but our little town has very little of this activity.
    If I'm going to be in the city or going to Philly, or else if I'm carrying some cash, I will carry a back up, sometimes 2, usually a S&W Chief Special and an old Beretta 950 .25 auto.

FWIW, the only time I have had to pull a gun was in this town at about 1:30 in the afternoon, about 2 blocks from the police station.
    He saw my old HiWay Patrolman and turned and ran away.
    Mark

multiple restriction

IIRC, in NM, we are restricted to carry one (1) concealed weapon.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Ellerbir -- don't believe Ohio restricts us to just one carry piece.
    As to the poll question --
    The Navy teaches a standard response:
    "I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of absence of any nuclear device on or about any ship or aircraft of the US Navy."
    Or words to that effect.
    I give a similar reply to any question about what or how many I carry.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by dogngun View Post
    If I'm going to be in the city or going to Philly, or else if I'm carrying some cash, I will carry a back up, sometimes 2, usually a S&W Chief Special and an old Beretta 950 .25 auto.
    Mark
    Can I ask what you do for a living? Is this "carrying cash" job related where you're carrying large $$$ amounts and a target for robbery?
    If not, I've said it once before and I'll say it again - carrying 3 guns at once ("I will carry a backup, sometimes 2") is overkill - no pun intended. If you're going into an area that is dangerous enough that you feel you truly need 3 guns on you, then you should only be going into that area for darn good reasons- your job, family, etc..
    What type of scenario do you envision that you would have 2 gun malfunctions, lose 2 of your guns, or go through 2 guns' worth of ammo so that you'd need that third gun????

I have, but not because I needed two. I needed to be very discrete, so pocket carried my P3AT. Later when I wasn't going to be in such close quarters to people who might object, I added my XD. Since I had no good place to store the P3AT, I left it in my pocket.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sevesteen View Post
    I have, but not because I needed two. I needed to be very discrete, so pocket carried my P3AT. Later when I wasn't going to be in such close quarters to people who might object, I added my XD. Since I had no good place to store the P3AT, I left it in my pocket.

so....where did you store the XD while you were discretely carrying just the P3AT?

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    My cc reads "concealed weapon or firearm license"; not plural. I believe it is worded that way on purpose, and wouldn't want to loose my priviledge because of a strict interpretation of the title.

Kansas license reads "Concealed Carry License" and there is no limit on the number of handguns you can carry. Check with your state Attorney Generals Office, they should be able to tell you if you are limited to only one handgun.

Always carry one!

One is available to each hand and please practice one handed shooting.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links