If You Are a Civilian Do You Carry a Backup Gun?

This is a discussion on If You Are a Civilian Do You Carry a Backup Gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MNBurl Always carry one! One is available to each hand and please practice one handed shooting. +1, though I have to admit ...

View Poll Results: If you are a civilian do you carry a backup gun?

Voters
451. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yup

80 17.74%
  • No

224 49.67%
  • Rarely

113 25.06%
  • Most of the time, but not always.

34 7.54%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: If You Are a Civilian Do You Carry a Backup Gun?

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    Always carry one!

One is available to each hand and please practice one handed shooting.
    +1, though I have to admit there are times I don't. But generally I do.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

2. Remove Ads

I only carry one pistol - an XD 9 SC, with ten in the mag and one in the pipe.

For home defense, though, I have a Taurus PT-111 in the gun safe. It's for the wife to use in case things get very bad.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

North Carolina - 1 Gun per Permit Holder

In North Carolina, the law states:

"As of December 1, 1995, certain residents of North Carolina may be eligible to obtain a permit which would allow them to carry a concealed handgun under certain conditions. No other weapons can be carried concealed pursuant to such permit."

The important word here is "a concealed handgun", not "handguns" or a backup gun and a primary gun, or anything else you can fit into the back of your pants. "No other weapons can be carried concealed" again clearly states no other weapons, meaning backup guns.

The law appears to be very clear in North Carolina - 1 concealed gun per permit holder.

Quote Originally Posted by AirMech74 View Post
    i think it would be overkill
    Agreed.

Although i do sometimes carry a hand grenade and a 6 foot broadsword... what are you all looking at!?

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    Exactly! Although I pocket carry a P-32, it just may be the 1st drawn only because having your hand in your pocket is such a natural gesture & doesn't/shouldn't raise any suspicions ('till it's too late) by the BG.

Having said that, though, I appendix carry my G-19 or PM9, so it's quick to access, but my hand's constantly on the grip of the K-T.

With a P3AT pocket carry is just too easy. I carry my XD40SC at 9 o'clock (lefty).

About the only time I carry two is when I'm headed to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by blueridge View Post
    In North Carolina, the law states:

"As of December 1, 1995, certain residents of North Carolina may be eligible to obtain a permit which would allow them to carry a concealed handgun under certain conditions. No other weapons can be carried concealed pursuant to such permit."

The important word here is "a concealed handgun", not "handguns" or a backup gun and a primary gun, or anything else you can fit into the back of your pants. "No other weapons can be carried concealed" again clearly states no other weapons, meaning backup guns.

The law appears to be very clear in North Carolina - 1 concealed gun per permit holder.

Not a point of disagreement, merely another possible interpretation...
    I would normally take "no other weapons can be carried concealed.." to mean no shotguns, railguns, rifles, etc. especially since the permit specifies "handguns" not firearms or simply "guns". Yes, I understand that it is very difficult to conceal a rifle.

Usually, if the intent were to limit it to one handgun at a time, it would explicitly state, "no more than one handgun at any time." or some such...

If it is a real concern, I would consult the Attorney General...

Ken
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him,
    but because he loves what is behind him."

- G.K. Chesterton [ 1874 - 1936 ]

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I'm not even going into "bad areas" every day (or pretty much ever).
    Um, according to your avatar text, you are in SO FL! That IS a bad area!

BAC
    There is no law in Florida prohibiting carry of multiple firearms, concealed or otherwise, provided the firearms carried and the mode of carry are legal.

-B

I see many people here say they couldn't possibly fathom ever needing more than what they carry with their one gun on a day to day basis. And sometimes even those hold only 5 rounds.

I can't possibly fathom ever needing a gun at all in MY day to day happenings....

And yet here we all are, carrying a gun for just that one occasion when we might possibly need one.

And if that's the case, the BUG is only overkill if you don't need it! Right?

In my sleepy rural town of only 3,000 I usually only carry one high capacity gun.
    (however, a lot of those 3,000 residents are into meth use, sales or manufacturing as well as burglery and other stuff. To my knowledge none of them, including my neighbors know I am part of the sheriff's tactical team either. But we do bust people who have scanners and a few of them have had maps that have LEO's personal residences marked on them, so it pays to be careful)

If I go elsewhere, I carry two with maybe a third in the car.

I figure the odds of me ever needing one gun is infintesimal, but knowing how Mr. Murphy is Never far away... The one and only time I need a gun, will probably be the time when I wished I had a second gun.

Since it has never been an issue of comfort or ability to conceal two guns for me, then I figure what's the problem? I suppose if it was a problem concealing two, I probably would rethink it.

I may not win the fight... But it won't ever be because I was short sighted and could never think of a reason why one gun could fail me.

It's kind of like the guy who thinks he will only be attacked by one person. Never heard of a gang of 4 pulling off an armed robbery or mugging before.

I don't mind people who only carry one gun and don't harrang anyone that does. One is better than none and I usually only carry one at home. But two is better than one! Especially when you consider it's a man made tool with several moving parts, springs and linkages.

I do know a lot of cops who only carry one... but, these days, I know 5 who have just recently started carrying a P3AT as a second gun, and in my area, that is a significant increase in LEO's feeling they need a BUG.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

i guess it would depend where i was going. if i were going to the local mall, a BUG would be overkill. i'll be in the armpit of hell known as Philadelphia this week, so i'll wish i had 5 BUGs.

No.

I carry for self defense not a firefight. I have said this before on these forums but carrying 2 guns + dozens of rounds of backup ammo seems like extreme overkill (but thats just MY opinion). If there is ever a situation where I use my backup ammo (5shots for my jframe or 16 for my xd) I have already failed horribly with my SA. I can understand LEOs wearing a bug or even wearing one if you frequently visit a really bad neighborhood, but most shooting incidents happen so quickly I can't imagine a need for 50+ rounds of back up ammo and 2 or 3 guns.

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    No.

I carry for self defense not a firefight. I have said this before on these forums but carrying 2 guns + dozens of rounds of backup ammo seems like extreme overkill (but thats just MY opinion). If there is ever a situation where I use my backup ammo (5shots for my jframe or 16 for my xd) I have already failed horribly with my SA. I can understand LEOs wearing a bug or even wearing one if you frequently visit a really bad neighborhood, but most shooting incidents happen so quickly I can't imagine a need for 50+ rounds of back up ammo and 2 or 3 guns.
    Well, to each his own. What happens if you get your one and only gun taken away from you? What happens if it malfunctions? Many times, going to the BUG is MUCH faster than trying to clear a malfunction and if you gun is taken away, you're completely SOL at that point... Remember some guns loaded are actually lighter than a fully loaded service sized pistol's magazine. Think KT P32 or P3AT.

It's not always about your SA. You could be caught away from home/shelter in the midst of something larger, like a Katrina situation or the LA/Rodney King riots.

One other point to be noted as far as a secondary gun: it makes it very easy to arm a 'partner' should they not be armed or have lost possession of thiers. My wife doesnt carry her pistol often on her person, but can handle a Glock platform well. So, if need be, I can hand her my g26, and I will make do with my K/T.
    Dont qoute me on this, but I think the civilian that assisted in the police in stopping the Water Tower Sniper was armed with bug provided by an officer. As cc-ers, we're not cops, but the same principle applies.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by fludy12 View Post
    Well, to each his own. What happens if you get your one and only gun taken away from you? What happens if it malfunctions? Many times, going to the BUG is MUCH faster than trying to clear a malfunction and if you gun is taken away, you're completely SOL at that point... Remember some guns loaded are actually lighter than a fully loaded service sized pistol's magazine. Think KT P32 or P3AT.

It's not always about your SA. You could be caught away from home/shelter in the midst of something larger, like a Katrina situation or the LA/Rodney King riots.
    You realize you just said you could be caught away from home in the midst of something large..like Katrina... Everyone knew a hurricane was coming. I understand your point but you can't possibly be prepared for all those different insane contingencies--the ones that would actually require you to have 2/3 guns and 50+ rounds of back up ammo.

I personally don't do it. I may in the future if I feel the need, but I don't live in an area prone to riots, spontaneous hurricanes, earthquakes, tornados, ect. I don't knock anyone that carries (well I don't knock them seriously ;) ) a bug. Thats your prerogative and I am cool with that.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links