What is your biggest SD Gun Mistake Of All Time

What is your biggest SD Gun Mistake Of All Time

This is a discussion on What is your biggest SD Gun Mistake Of All Time within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is your biggest SD gun mistake of all time. This is mine. I don't know why I bought the KSG base gun to begin ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: What is your biggest SD Gun Mistake Of All Time

What is your biggest SD gun mistake of all time. This is mine. I don't know why I bought the KSG base gun to begin with since I don't like BullPups. First I found that it was not reliable so I made it reliable, but that was not enough for some reason and I changed the rail system. Then I don't know what happened, I kept messing with it. It is reasonably accurate out to 100 yards with Berneke slugs but it weighs a ton. Maybe it needs to be mounted on the top of a HumVee. The EoTech is even contoured and it is NV capable. I even put it in a waterproof compression sack and put it in the freezer for an hour to show myself it was not reliable when exposed to ice cold (nada, it cycled fine even covered with frost). At this point it is completely rebuilt internally as well as most of the externals too, but I don't know why.

Now all the other guns in the safe try to keep away from it (the 870 tells the other guns it is not related to it). It's my personal Frankengun.

My wife asked what is it for? I said big bear defense for you (smiling)? She said how many? Are you thinking platoon strength at night?

Bad Bob and CDRGlock like this.

VIP Member
    Sold a Bersa Thunder and a Walther P38, Stupid struck twice. Well more than that but that's all I will admit to.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Bought a Glock 23.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I've sold a few that I wish I hadn't. You know what they say about hindsight. I just felt I had to many to store and care for.
    Bad Bob and Gabill like this.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

VIP Member
    SIG P229 Extreme in 9mm.

Complete impulse buy. Sold some guns and had some "gun money" to burn. Has the SRT, which I actually don't care for the DA pull on that gun. Has night sights, which are neither a plus nor minus for me. Has a light rail, which I don't use and will never use. And does not have the E2 grips. And I shoot both by CZ 75D PCR and Browning HI Power as well as the 229. So it just sits in my safe.

It's a fantastic gun for the right person, but I'm not that person.

I'll probably sell it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Tried to catch a falling Glock...
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Selling my Springfield GI 1911
    "Engage your brain before you engage your weapon" - James "Mad Dawg" Mattis

AMD 1911, I don’t know if it had been Bubbified or not but that was the sorriest pistol I have ever owned, luckily I was able to trade it for a Ruger Security Six and even though I lost money I got the better end of the deal.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    Hóka-héy! Crazy Horse

A surplus 9mm SIG P6 that I could never fall in love with for the size, weight or "whatever". Then went to a SIG 938 which was (and still) a great pistol. Today, I'm carrying a S&W 642 that fits my lifestyle better.

I bought probly 8 subcompact pistols before I realized that I can conceal a much larger gun just as effectively.

That's not counting pocket guns, which I still like for occasional use.

There was also that time I knew my PPK was unloaded since it had been in storage for months, then decided I should check anyway (thank god).
    EddieFL and Old Man like this.

Kel Tec PF9. Biggest jammomatic POS I've ever encountered. Too many malfunctions to count.
    Rhinoman likes this.

Bought two Gen 4 Glock 19s several months apart in 2012. Both gave severe brass-to-face from the very first magazine in each one. I don't know how much time, effort and money I spent trying every fix suggested on the gun forums trying to correct a problem that Glock knew about and did not fix. Finally learned about the Apex extractor kit and installed it in both guns. Fixed the problem and haven't had a single BTF in over 2K rounds through each gun.

After owning Glocks for 20 years I lost any confidence in them. Their minions still claim BTF is caused by weak ammo or a poor grip. Total crap. It's mostly the fault of the money saving and cheapening-of-the parts changes that Glock has made from the original design. I never had any problems with the previous models and calibers Glocks that I had owned.

I also had a NIB G19 in the back of the safe which I had never fired. I bought it just after Sandy Hook just in case the regulatory madness went off the charts. After my sorry experience with the two other G19s I sold it and bought another PPQ. Looking back I should have just traded off those two pieces of crap and took my losses.
    SIGP250 likes this.
    NRA Life Member
    Marine Corps Veteran
    Vietnam Veteran

Distinguished Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Beretta Nano

I was dry firing it to get used to the heavy trigger and smooth it out some and realized I had worked up a nice blister on my index finger.
    Rhinoman likes this.
    "We all have to work out our own salvation" -- Jim Higginbotham

Carrying guns that had safeties on them. A proper carry gun does not have a safety on it.
    Rhinoman likes this.

My BIGGEST mistake?

Not having an SD gun for many years.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links