snub question

snub question

This is a discussion on snub question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 38spl which my girlfriend dropped on the end of the barrel. I noticed the bullet is larger than the opening at the ...

Thread: snub question

snub question

I have a 38spl which my girlfriend dropped on the end of the barrel. I noticed the bullet is larger than the opening at the end of the barrel. I understand the bullet should be larger to some extent, but how can i tell if it has deformed to the point where i will have problems?

Administrator
    Is it out of round? Is there a flat spot in the crown? I doubt that a simple drop would deform a decent barrel, but freaky things are known to happen from time to time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    The bullet will when fired not only be slightly swaged down by the chamber mouth but then of course be engraved thru the rifling. So - it would be normal to find it hard to make it fit from that end!

If the crown as sixto mentions, is not damaged then no problem is likely - this is the area immediately surrounding the bore exit at muzzle. Were it to be at all damaged then it could be re-cut. It is an important area as any perturbation here will upset ballistics.

A snub barrel being so short would not IMO suffer too much from a drop unless real unlucky. If you have a camera, take and post a pic of the muzzle.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I dont see any sort of dent in the barrel. I compared it to my 45 and the bullet fits much more snugly than the 45 round in the 45 barrel. I figure it is OK but wanted to check with others who are more experienced before i take it to the range.

Odds are its fine. If there is any damage it is very slight. If this is the case then the most likely problem would be with accuracy? my main concern is having the bullet get stuck and/or too much pressure.

thanks.

Assistant Administrator
    Even if there was a minor ''ding'' to the crown it will not cause any significant pressure problems like an actual obstruction. Pressure effects are most concentrated in chambers and early barrel - by time bullet exits the pressure curve is very reduced by comparison.

The accuracy deal - well - I doubt actually at ''combat'' distances it would even notice on a snub ... but it is reckoned that as a rule of thumb, it is the last 1" of any barrel that confers the final accuracy - much more significant tho with rifles - higher velocities and shooting distances.

You have to imagine that a small perturbation in pure concentricity of the bore at bullet exit - could induce a small ''shift'' to the bullet when compared with the overall long axis of a bore. Even a miniscule shift could over distance show up as significant error re accuracy.

Dropped guns will suffer more re barrel damage, the longer the barrel is usually, due to the inertial moment induced on impact - that is why it is probably hard to hurt a snub length barrel unless real unlucky.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Take the gun put and shoot it.

That will let you know if it's "defective". I'm willing to bet it's not, dropped a few guns over the years. When you shoot it pay attention to your target and see if your bullets are "keyholing".

Biker

thanks for your replies.

Links