A happy thread!

This is a discussion on A happy thread! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well after getting all pissed off earlier today, I need to balance it out by having a happy thread. I found out I'm working this ...

Thread: A happy thread!

A happy thread!

Well after getting all pissed off earlier today, I need to balance it out by having a happy thread.

I found out I'm working this summer, and this expands my budget considerably for a couple months. I've decided that since this is my year for handguns anyway I might as well get one more.

I figured I'd take that idea of a throwaway piece and put a little more money to it and have something that I wouldn't cry if I lost, but was still a decent gun and did something none of my other guns do.

I thought about it a lot and decided I should go with a compact gun in a caliber that starts with "4". I took some of the suggestions in the other thread and researched it a little and got a quote on some things from my FFL.

My working budget is $500ish for the gun. I could actually spend more but I don't want something I'm going to be tempted to baby and there's some combat handgun seminars coming later this year I want to take and I'd rather use the money on that.

I admit I was still kind of hoping for a .45 but .40 isn't such a bad round either. I looked it up. It does shoot a little weird yet feels vaguely familiar, reminds me of my .357 somewhat.

I think I've got it down to two very appealing choices:

-I can locally get trade in Sig 239's for around $460

-For another $20-$30 ($480 to $490) I can get a brand new XD 40 compact

That's like choosing between Mint Chocolate Chip and regular Chocolate Chip. You know you want both but must choose one. They both have tons of good holster options which makes me happy.

I want to run it box stock too, for legal reasons mostly. I'm actually not concerned with capacity so much as form factor, so I'm not basing my decision on how many rounds the magazine holds, and I think it's the same anyway.

I've heard the 239 is kind of fat for a SIG but the XD isn't exactly thin either.

Thoughts?

I won't be buying it for a while yet. I'm trying to find out everything I might need to know first.

2. Remove Ads

Euc,
    since you are a revolver fan, might I suggest one of the Kahr line of pistols? The trigger on my E9 is that of a nicely tuned wheeler. It has no sloppy take up, and then a crunchy resistance, and then a struggle to 'break'. Instead, it is a smooth, 'rolling' travel, and then a clean release. Just a thought.

Dan

Thumbs up

A friend of mine came with me to the range the other day (sunday) he wanted to try a few handguns so that he could make a decision for your same reasons......Ok.so here we go....
    He tried the Colt Commander LW....which he loves to shoot..as he shot it before.
    Then came the Glock 36 ... which he thought he'd love, cuz of the reputation it has...He quickly found the Glock 36 45 ACP to have TOO MUCH recoil for him.....so out with the Glock.
    Then... he tried the beretta 92F I recently purchased ..LOVED IT, BUT too big.
    He has a S&W 59 he shoots, but wants something smaller in either 40 or 45.. sooooooooo.....at last he tries my Sig 239 40 Cal......FELL IN LOVE WITH IT!
    His reasoning was..the Sig's recoil was quick on the double tap round.. EASY to hide.. Easy to get accustomed to (it's his 2nd handgun) and found the controls very easy to understand..
    Bottom line is......He's buying a Sig P239 40 Cal with night sights (Like mine)
    Euc? I'd say the choice is simple.......the Sig 239 with night sights might truley fit your bill... Buy a USED one and save yourself mucho $$$ or a "Blue Tag" gun
    (Referbished by Sig)
    Good luck on it my friend ...it's worth a deep thought

I vote soemthing else than sig but its for personal reasons not function of the gun ...

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner
    Euc,
    since you are a revolver fan, might I suggest one of the Kahr line of pistols? The trigger on my E9 is that of a nicely tuned wheeler. It has no sloppy take up, and then a crunchy resistance, and then a struggle to 'break'. Instead, it is a smooth, 'rolling' travel, and then a clean release. Just a thought.

Dan
    I considered it. I'd like to own a Kahr one day. But I had to get it down to two! I also like the heavy, metal Kahrs, the ones that tend to cost more.

There's so many good products out there I can't own them all!

Hey, CDNN has SIGs, and other goodies, as well. You could get a SIG from them for less than $469 OTD, including your tax and transfer. I just got a BHP, and couldn't be more pleased!
    www.cdnninvestments.com

(You'll have to download their catalogue- they don't post firearms)

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    The 239 or the XD would serve you well.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    Hey, CDNN has SIGs, and other goodies, as well. You could get a SIG from them for less than $469 OTD, including your tax and transfer. I just got a BHP, and couldn't be more pleased!
    www.cdnninvestments.com

(You'll have to download their catalogue- they don't post firearms)

That's where it'd be coming from Rob!

There is a local store that sells trade ins, but they want another $100 than what my FFL quoted me! My friendly FFL can do better than that without even trying!

Lead Moderator
    A .40 with a short barrel will have a shrap muzzle flip to it. Its managable ,but be warned.

Yeah you ain't joking Rocky! But I want to try it!

I fired a Taurus model PT something or another in this caliber and found it to be a different animal. It wanted to get away from me it seemed!

I think it's controllable with practice. I'm getting better with the snubnose and it's not any fun at all to shoot. Well it is fun from the perspective that it's challenging.

Links