Having trouble deciding on New CCW

This is a discussion on Having trouble deciding on New CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking about getting me a 642 with CT grip. I have a few questions though. 1. Is the weight difference very noticable between 642 ...

Thread: Having trouble deciding on New CCW

Having trouble deciding on New CCW

I'm thinking about getting me a 642 with CT grip. I have a few questions though.

1. Is the weight difference very noticable between 642 and 60. (15oz vs. 22oz)?

2. Is it worth the extra money to step up to the 340 scandium(12oz)?

3. Is the CT grips that come from S&W the same as if I were to order them from CT? Just wondering if I should just by the gun itself and order the CT grip, or just get the 642 with CT already installed.

2. Remove Ads

Ace: to carry in trouser, jean or coat pockets there is a major difference on issue #1. To me, a couple of ounces in a j-frame is significant, so if you can pay the freight with no problem, go for the 340...can't comment on #3.

Just put CT's on my wife's SW637...they are the same...bought them separately...the price?...check around...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Ace12 View Post
    I'm thinking about getting me a 642 with CT grip. I have a few questions though.

1. Is the weight difference very noticable between 642 and 60. (15oz vs. 22oz)?

3. Is the CT grips that come from S&W the same as if I were to order them from CT? Just wondering if I should just by the gun itself and order the CT grip, or just get the 642 with CT already installed.

1) YES
    2) NO
    3) Shop around and see which is cheaper. Usually the S&W with the CT Stocks already installed is cheaper than buying the gun and stocks seperately.

Biker

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    7 oz. is almost a 1/2 lb., it'll definitely make a difference. It might not be AS noticable with IWB/OWB carry (Although you will notice it after a full day of carrying), but it'll be VERY noticable if you pocket carry it.

As far as the 340 being worth it, it depends. However, shoot one 1st, & you'll probably get the 442/642. I have a 442 & have shoted & used a 340. Yes, the weight's noticable, but it's more so while shooting it & not in a good way.

I'd get the gun 1st, try it out & shop around for CT grips if that's what you want. You might decide on not wanting them, but if you do, chances are you'll probably find a better deal later & buy it separately.

The J-frames are great guns. I've had my 442 for 13 yrs. now.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Thanks for your replies.

Ron
    The CT grips that come with the 642 from S&W, in my opinion make the gun harder to pocket carry, and are not as recoil absorbing as the model 405 grips, which I bought seperately. They are a bit more expensive but I believe well worth the difference.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

1) As others have said, will definitely be a difference if planning to pocket carry. Is this a gun you plan on shooting a lot?

2) I'd buy two 642's instead of the 340. Personally I'd carry high quality 38 sp ammo (Corbon DPX, Speer GD SB) in both. Have shot my buddies 642, wouldn't want to try 357's in the 340.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace12 View Post
    I cannot comment on whether it is 'worth the extra money,' but I can say I am very happy with mine.

I am relatively new to shooting so I have limited comparative resources. Personally, I do not think the horror stories of shooting .357 magnum are well founded. Yes, it definitely kicks more than .38 SP range ammo and a bit more than personal defense .38 SP +P rounds.

It is extraordinarily light, which makes it easy for me to carry. I hardly notice it in my IWB holster. I wouldn't want to shoot it all day but that is not its purpose. Would I trust my life to it? Absolutely.

And, as with most firearms, the price of ammunition will far outstrip the difference in price in a very short time.

Good luck with your purchase. Let us know what you decide!

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    1) As others have said, will definitely be a difference if planning to pocket carry. Is this a gun you plan on shooting a lot?

2) I'd buy two 642's instead of the 340. Personally I'd carry high quality 38 sp ammo (Corbon DPX, Speer GD SB) in both. Have shot my buddies 642, wouldn't want to try 357's in the 340.
    I have a model 60-9 Stainless. I plan on keeping that one on my nightstand. And will shoot the model 60 when I feel like popig off some rounds.
    If i get a 642 it will be strictly for cc weather in pocket or not. And as a BUG to my rifle when I am hunting.

Links