RANGE REPORT: Sig P226 "BLACKWATER EDITION" 9mm

This is a discussion on RANGE REPORT: Sig P226 "BLACKWATER EDITION" 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another day in paradise. About 90 in the shade and shade was everywhere, being there was the ever present tropical downpour on my way to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RANGE REPORT: Sig P226 "BLACKWATER EDITION" 9mm

RANGE REPORT: Sig P226 "BLACKWATER EDITION" 9mm

Another day in paradise. About 90 in the shade and shade was everywhere, being there was the ever present tropical downpour on my way to the range. Hot? For me it was AFRICA HOT. Thank goodness it's an indoor range. When I got there about 2pm it was empty. No shooters on the line. Got a couple of standard police type targets and some "Shoot-n-See" adhesive overlays. Started at seven yards, slow fire with the Sig P226 "Blackwater Edition" The first thing I noticed was the short reset trigger I'd had installed. the reset point equals that on a Glock! If you want, this baby can rip rounds down range like it was playing Class III. Accurately, too. Easy to control...in fact everything was easy. I started at 7 yards and moved it out to ten yards. I rarely use 25 yards anymore since it's just not a viable indicator for me to have close groups at 75 feet.

A little note on ammo. I started with ball ammo that I got from Sportsmansguide "American Ammo." Low recoil and low noise. No much flash, if any. I also ran every brand I use for self defense to include Hydra-Shok 124gr, Cor-Bon 115+P, MagSafe 68gr, Speer EL DORADO, and a couple of other I had laying around. I mixed and matched just to check feeding, extraction and accuracy. No problems with any of them. HOWEVER, the muzzle blast, report and recoil with some of the upper end loads like the MagSafe and Cor-Bon +P were on a par with a lot of the 45ACP defense loads I fired from my Sig P245 which I also brought along for some "exercise." So imagine I start with the FMJ loads and progress further in defensive power in the same mag:

pop... pop... pop... BLAM! KA-BLAM! BLAM! Whoa. It's good to remember how the weapon will behave in a stress situation. It's not gonna be like a day at the range or even an IDPA match when it comes to noise, fireworks and etc. However, all loads printed the same. No deviations or distinctions in where a given load printed on the target at a given range. I did find that my accuracy degraded as I tried to slow down for some precision shooting. "How odd, I thought!" But I guess it makes sense that as I took a flash site picture on the front sight as soon as it had settled down from the previous shot, I tripped the next. I fell into a sort of cadence that seemed top produce some decent enough groups. I could increase the "cadence" by producing FAST "doubles" (not a so called "double tap" as the BS in Hollywood likes to put out) but rather something Jeff Cooper called a "HAMMER." Slower is a "controlled pair" in all cases when I set up such a "cadence" I was able to significantly increase my accuracy. Reminds me of one of my favorite movies (anybody know this line?) "Can I move? I'm BETTER when I move."

Accuracy declined when I tried to line up the sights front to rear, take a breath, let it out haldway and gently take up the slack on the trigger.... squeezing.... When I tried that, I started to get a flinch and got real shaky. I think it was the delay or sporatic nature of the timing between shots. Trying to glean steadiness that then translates into greater accuracy has just the reverse effect.

Both (P226 and P245) weapons functioned flawlessly and with excellent accuracy.

I have some pix, but I want to relate another experience I had while there. The rain let up outside and folks began to migrate in for some shooting. A few blasts and no big deal. Then somebody started launching artillery rounds. I kid you not. Ear shattering even with high quality muffs! I strolled down the line and here was a guy ripping off rounds from a Smith and Wesson X Frame revolver in 460 Ruger. He was letting folks on the line run thru a cylinder each. Pretty expensive largesse if you ask me. But when offered I took a turn. He was so condescending. "Now hang on REAL TIGHT. Take your time and don't worry if you miss... she sure is a kicker. In fact nobody but me has even hit the target at seven yards so far."

That was his game. He wanted to feel good about himself at the expense of others. So I took a chance. I moved the target (life sized Bin Laden) back to ten yards from where it had been. He was astonished. I told him I'd aim for the head.

I did as I had done with the Blackwater: Cadence shooting: As soon as the front sight on that 10" barrel settled down on the head I fired again. Five rounds spaced about two seconds apart. All five right thru the head. I was wearing my new NRA Instructor's shirt. About half the shooters asked for a card. LOL It felt good. Recoil on the hand wasn't bad, but muzzle blast! That's a different story. I had to keep my jaws slightly apart since the blast made my upper and lower jaws click together. I wish I'd thought to have someone take some pics of shooting that bad boy but I was on my way out of the range.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ExSoldier; August 7th, 2007 at 02:46 AM. Reason: add pix
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Real nice review EX. good shooting.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Wink Pix again

Here we go again. Hope this works...
    Attached Images
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Good Report,Thank You!

Senior Moderator
    Thanks for the report
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Assistant Administrator
    Nice report there Jim ..........

Accuracy declined when I tried to line up the sights front to rear, take a breath, let it out haldway and gently take up the slack on the trigger.... squeezing.... When I tried that, I started to get a flinch and got real shaky. I think it was the delay or sporatic nature of the timing between shots.
    This equates I think to the natural rhythm, or as you put it, the cadence of any particular gun ........ usually not hyper fast but still quick - the ''ideal'' speed for repeat shots. Surprising how really precice almost bullseye type shots will often not be as good - certainly for me now these days as I am not as steady, tho no flinch.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

BAC
    Ex, I'm guessing here but your shots look a shade high of point of aim. Am I right? If so, why do you think that is?

At my G-license quals, the instructor at the range (policeman, armoror of some million different weapon systems, etc.) made a point to mention to me when I brought up Sig pistols that Sigs have a very high bore line relative to other handguns and will generally have sharper felt recoil and slightly higher shot placement.

Just throwin' it out there, I hadn't had the opportunity to pose the question before to someone who shoots Sigs with any regularity.

-B

Wink No essential material detriment to "combat accuracy"

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Ex, I'm guessing here but your shots look a shade high of point of aim. Am I right? If so, why do you think that is?

At my G-license quals, the instructor at the range (policeman, armoror of some million different weapon systems, etc.) made a point to mention to me when I brought up Sig pistols that Sigs have a very high bore line relative to other handguns and will generally have sharper felt recoil and slightly higher shot placement.-B
    A lot of folks claim that Glocks are so user friendly because the axis of their bore is so close to the shooter's hand. Well.... maybe. But I would maintain that in my case essential combat accuracy is not affected. This was my first time on a brand new gun. We still have to get used to each other. If my point of aim is center mass on the "X" I'll be happy to give the BG an inch or so "UP." If my point of aim is the upper lip/base of the nose, I'll give an inch or so UP. That's still the neural band/cranial vault.

But remember a lot of those shots were taken at a shot per second (rapid fire) or slightly faster and none of my shots wandered too far off. Grouping was pretty tight for a newly fired weapon. I'll settle. I'm no longer the XO of the Division Composite BULLSEYE Pistol team. My Sig P245 was absolutely DEAD ON. Of course that is an old friend that has been workin' with me for years. We know each other and have an agreement to watch each other's backs.

BAC
    Roger that. Good point that it is a new gun though, I missed that in my initial read. I'd be happy to claim that kind of consistency, to be honest, but I'm still working on it.

Thanks for the clarification and for the range report.

-B

Ex, first off, great report! Second, question :) You stated in post that when you shot for speed, you grouped better than when going slow for precision. Is that normal? I find myself doing the same thing during my range time. At 7yds just doing flash/sight picture I can keep it in the 9-ring on a reduced silhouette target, but when I when i go slow I start getting a few in the 7-8 ring. Just wondering :)

SY

Lightbulb Timing is everything....

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhangel View Post
    Ex, first off, great report! Second, question :) You stated in post that when you shot for speed, you grouped better than when going slow for precision. Is that normal? I find myself doing the same thing during my range time. At 7yds just doing flash/sight picture I can keep it in the 9-ring on a reduced silhouette target, but when I when i go slow I start getting a few in the 7-8 ring. Just wondering :)

SY
    I sort of fall into a steady cadence when I'm recovering from a shot. The front sight comes back down onto the target and I reacquire the flash sight picture and squeeze the next shot. My trigger squeeze is pretty set, steady and...constant. I think when you concentrate too much on sight alignment you sacrifice other elements of the precision shot especially where the caliber is centerfire. The sights are sitting on a steel weight (the gun) that is gonna very rapidly take a stress toll on the arms and shoulders which will naturally affect the breath control and probably the follow thru. Once the basic factors begin to get shaky the accuracy just drops like a rock.

There are specific segments that make of up the whole of the accurate shot. We all know what they are. If they are properly executed within a very SHORT period of time in close sequence the accuracy indicators go up. But foul up the timing on one - like trying to hold your breath too long or actually breathing while sighting - (resulting in a vertical shot string) will tend to snowball against the other segments of an accurate shot. Does this make any sense?

I proved my own point on my way out of the range when that guy offered to let me shoot his 8 inch barreled 460 Ruger Smith & Wesson X Frame. His comment on most folks being unable to hit a man sized target at 7 yards at all, made me watch the shooter who went just before myself on that cannon. He was plainly terrified and took forever to trip the shot. I told the guy I was moving the target out to ten yards from seven and aiming for the head. Nobody believed I could make one hole in that area and ALL were stunned when I ripped thru five...all head shots.

The fiber optic front sight was a distinct help especially with the indoor range lighting. But I just let the front sight settle down as I was cocking the gun single action while the sight was on the way back down. I would say I took a shot about once a second, five times. Each time I felt like I'd been slapped up-side the head but my shot was right where I'd called the group. Odd grouping though, now that I think of it: Instead of a circular cluster they were all in a neat linear string across the face at about the level of the nose.

Ok gotcha. Cadence. That is a good term as well as any I guess. Thx for answering.

SY

Great report Jim! The cadence is what I'm still striving to find consistently with my Glock. Anyways - a great day at the range, eh?

BTW:

"That'll do <spit>"

Or:

"Did you see LaForte?"
    "Nah"
    "Good. I thought we were in trouble"

When this is done....if I'm dead....KILL HIM. "Love to." ~friendly wave~

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Great report Jim! The cadence is what I'm still striving to find consistently with my Glock. Anyways - a great day at the range, eh?

BTW:

"That'll do <spit>" Wait I thought it was <spit> BINGO!

Or:

"Did you see LaForte?"
    "Nah"
    "Good. I thought we were in trouble"
    I got vision and the rest of the world wears blinders.

"<spit> BINGO!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links