HK USP v. USPc

This is a discussion on HK USP v. USPc within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will finally be purchasing my first handgun in a couple weeks(took a while to save for it ). Along with it, I will be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HK USP v. USPc

HK USP v. USPc

I will finally be purchasing my first handgun in a couple weeks(took a while to save for it ). Along with it, I will be able to pursue my CCW.

I have decided on the USP .45 but for the life of me, I can't decide whether I should go full or compact. Though capable of concealing either one with ease, now comes the question whether I face unforseen loss or gains in choosing one model over the other.

Anyone have familiarity with these models or general insights to be considered before I make my purchase. I will use this for carry purposes.

The fullsize v. compact discussion is not a unique thread or very interesting, but any thoughts or advice concerning this handgun would be appreciated.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

2. Remove Ads

Since you can conceal both "with ease", I would probably go with the fullsize. The factory match trigger can be installed in the fullsize if you are interested. The compact requires DIY modifications to have the match trigger installed. I love my USP. What variant are you getting?

Probaly v.1. Never got any clear reasons to go with one variant or another. Thoughts or opinions on this matter?
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

I'm a variant one kind of guy myself.

Thumbs up V1-cocked & locked

I'm a Compact carrier, still a tad too big
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

I had the usp45c

spectacular gun, flawless, also a bit big for me to carry concealed, felt 'bricky' after a few hours.

I've got the full size .45 v.1 and I absolutley love it....although I've never tried to carry it. Its more of a home defender.

Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

I'd get the compact

I have the fullsize USP 45 and the compact version in .40 caliber. They are both excellent guns - reliable and accurate.

Since your major application for this gun appears to be CCW, I believe you will find the compact much easier to carry and conceal over an entire day. I have holsters for both of mine and have carried each, and found that the full size is difficult to conceal, especially in the grip area. Weight is not a problem, as each gun is fairly light because of the polymer frame. But the 12 round double stack magazine on the full size .45 requires a substantial grip area to fit it, and it tends to print on most cover garments.

The only thing you give up with the smaller version is magazine capacity - you would have 8+1 rounds of .45 in the compact vs. 12+1 rounds in the full size. I believe the chances of actually needing these extra 4 rounds in an encounter are slim. And if capacity were a consideration you could consider the .40 caliber compact like mine, which will take a 12 round .40 caliber magazine. Here are shots of my compact and how it looks in a holster:

Lightbulb +1!

SHOTGUN WILLIE! Long time no see, Dude!

I have a USP v1 and it is my dedicated home defense weapon. I hung a light on the rail so that makes it pretty much too big to conceal.

I like the standard size over the compact for one very important reason: It has a mechanical recoil reduction system that the compact seems to lack. I have a beautiful pic of me shooting the USP in an IDPA match and the pic freezes an extracted casing right over the gun and the gun is back in full battery and ready to go for the next shot. That means the muzzle rise is minimal. Here, this is from my gallery:

I asked my buddy if he could have but one sidearm to carry straight from the box to a battle which would it be? He's a retired Special Forces LTC. His response was immediate: H&K USP fullsize. Right from the box without a lube or even a cleaning. So, I bought one and decided to test his assertion. I started firing it before I ever lubed or cleaned the gun. I was going to shoot until it jammed. I expected it to go a few hundred rounds, based on his experiences. That's about what my 1911s will do. Maybe 500 rds and then a gunked up FTE.

When the fullsize USP hit two THOUSAND rounds and was still purring happily along, I just had to clean her out of sheer respect. Anything that reliable has the priority to protect that which I hold MOST dear: My family. But make no mistake it was designed to be a duty weapon, carried OWB and in full view. SpecOps uses a thigh rig and cops have their duty rig. Few conceal it and fewer of those conceal it in warm weather. I like it for it's reliability and capacity.

But that capacity in a 45 has the trade off in weight. For a duty weapon either for LEOs or the military that is a lesser consideration because their load bearing equipment is designed to distribute the weight evenly...but out in the open. For the same reason (plus others) I quit carrying the 1911 in hot weather. weight v capacity v hot weather concealability. That's why I found the Sig P245 a nice compromise.

However, as I age I seem to have had something of an epiphany regarding the 9mm. If I were restricted as is the case with our military, to ball ammunition then hands down I'd go for 230gr ball in the 45 over whatever the equivalent weight ball ammo in the 9mm. Cross sectional density and lower velocity (in ball ammo) makes the 45 more of a "stopper," for CQB.

However in the arena of civilian self defense, advances in technology in regards to bullet configuration as it pertains to expansion of hollowpoint loads seem to have evened out the differences between the calibers in terms of ballistic performance. So now, all things being equal capacity becomes more of an issue. That's why I've switched from the Sig P245 to the Sig P226.

Weights are comparable but the Sig offers higher capacity and a higher probablity for a one shot stop (where decently placed) because of advances in ammunition. Besides I figure the Navy SEALs and the Texas Rangers had good reasons to go with the P226!
    Last edited by ExSoldier; August 7th, 2007 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Insert pic from gallery
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lightbulb Variant 1 has a potential tactical weakness if you carry condition 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie View Post
    Probaly v.1. Never got any clear reasons to go with one variant or another. Thoughts or opinions on this matter?
    Variant 1 seems to offer the best of both worlds for folks who want an option to go with either a DA first shot or to carry it condition 1 "cocked and locked." I prefer a DA first shot, myself. It's one reason I no longer carry a 1911. But others have found that in wiping the safety off during a condition one presentation, care had to be taken so that the safety is not depressed too far otherwise it acts like a hammer drop mechanism. In that case you might consider the LEM (Law Enforcement Module) which acts in a very similar manner to the ParaOrd LDE trigger. The slide is racked and the tension is placed on the trigger load so the trigger pull becomes very light and very uniform.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Thanks Ex, I have been like the little birdie next to the window. Just been listening and learning. Didn't feel like I had much to offer to the conversations for a while, so I just hung in the background. Glad you remembered me though.

Thanks guys, for the posts so far. Lack of experience makes it hard to feel like I am making an informed desicion sometimes. However, I have followed past advice, getting my hands on the different weapons and doing as much homework as possible. Truth be told, I am sure this will not be my last gun purchase. Seems to be the trend around here, might as well follow suit. Just want my first handgun and my primary carry purchase to be informed and intelligent. I am so excited that I am a little nervous(perhaps cautious might be more fitting). I have not heard a bad thing about HK's, except that many people do not like the size. I have tried it and am comfortable with it. Just trying to avoid overlooking an important factor somewhere. Like I said, I am dealing with a lack of experience here.

Ex, when I go down to make my purchase I will take a look at that P226. I am not opposed, just never had the opportunity to fire or handle a Sig.

Anyway, keep the info and opinions flowing. I need to be confused as possible before I go in at the end of the month.
    Last edited by Shotgun Willie; August 7th, 2007 at 12:11 PM. Reason: typo
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

What is the advantage of the decocking lever?
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Wink Safety

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie View Post
    What is the advantage of the decocking lever?
    It's a safe way to lower the hammer on a live round. Try that with a 1911 and if your thumb slips there's going to be a loud noise. The decocking mechanism automatically raises a transfer bar that totally blocks the firing pin from moving all the way forward and impacting the primer. Iused to cringe when I was always carrying a 1911 because it looked so unsafe! Now, I love them on both my H&K USP and on my Sigs. Actually they differ in action depending on brand of gun. The Smiths and the H&K's use a transfer bar whereas the Sig just mechanically lowers the hammer gently.

So it sounds like a feature that I should not exclude. Thanks Ex.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Thumbs up Love the USP

Well I carry the full size V1 .45 USP every day. Shoots great and carries well. My SERPA paddle broke so I've been using a hipclip and it's still comfy, with the lighter weight you can sometimes forget you're carrying it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links