Time to start shopping

Time to start shopping

This is a discussion on Time to start shopping within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has been mulling over what she wants to carry for some time now. Finally, she has decided that she wants the Kimber Ultra ...

Time to start shopping

My wife has been mulling over what she wants to carry for some time now. Finally, she has decided that she wants the Kimber Ultra Carry II .45. We went to the range last week and she tried one out and fell in love with it. Today I'm going to check out my local gun shops.
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    My wife has been mulling over what she wants to carry for some time now. Finally, she has decided that she wants the Kimber Ultra Carry II .45. We went to the range last week and she tried one out and fell in love with it. Today I'm going to check out my local gun shops.
    What a woman! I just was looking at one yesterday...nice gun. How did she handle the recoil?

I would strongly recommend a Les Baer stainless steel Stinger model, over the Kimber. I am usually in the, "get what you want" camp, but in this case, the Baer is worlds better made and has a standard commander length slide, so will be more reliable and eminently easier to source recoil springs and mags for (standard officers). For another couple hundred bucks, it's easily three times the gun.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    What a woman! I just was looking at one yesterday...nice gun. How did she handle the recoil?
    She actually handled the recoil very well. When she shoots my Springer Mil-Spec she has trouble controlling it, but for some reason, when she shoots the smaller frame 1911s (she has also shot the Colt Defender) she has much more control and much more accuracy. She has tried the XD (9mm), SP101 (357), Sig 239 (9mm), Colt Defender (45), Springer Mil-Spec (45), and now the Kimber....she loves that Kimber.

The good news is, I'm in the batter's box, and once she buys hers, I'm stepping up to the plate for the next gun purchase!
    NRA Member

~Winston Churchill

Well, my gun dealer didn't have a Kimber Ultra in SS, so he ordered me one. He called me just now to tell me that he talked with Kimber and they don't have any in stock, so they are going to have to build one. My wife will have her Ultra Carry in stainless steel in about 4 weeks. Good thing she is much more patient than I am...it would drive me insane to have to wait another month.
    NRA Member

~Winston Churchill

Good choice for your wife. My young bride also prefers shooting my Ultra sized Kimber to my full-size. It's just more comfortable for her to handle. And don't worry too much about the four weeks -- that'll give you a chance to find some good ammo deals!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Administrator
    Since you obviously love the fine lady enough to spring for a real nice carry firearm for her...you might want to also consider having it custom bob-tailed (at some future point in time) which will really be beneficial regarding "on body" concealment for a female.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The Kimber Ultra Carry is my personal favorite. Comfort, reliability and accuracy all in one. Congrats on the choice.

Links