New M&P 9c first range report

This is a discussion on New M&P 9c first range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I shot my new M&P 9mm compact tonight for the first time. I shot it as part of my NRA concealed carry class. I ...

Thread: New M&P 9c first range report

Well, I shot my new M&P 9mm compact tonight for the first time. I shot it as part of my NRA concealed carry class. I give this pistol a big time .
    Distance: 15 feet, 25 feet
    Ammunition: Winchester 115gr FMJ "white box", Hornady 124gr TAP hollow point, Winchester 127gr Ranger +P+ hollow point
    Accuracy: at both 15 and 25 feet I could put all shots within 2 - 3 inches standing using a two hand grip. Many shots were touching or breaking the same holes.
    Function: gun cycled perfectly; no FTF or FTE with any ammo
    Sights; 6 o'clock POI dead center right out of the box; no adjustments needed. Very visible white dots, easy to line up.
    Handling: the gun definitely feels short in the grip -especially with the mag without the finger extension. When using the short grip mag, my groups were not nearly as good. Probably easy to learn to shoot fine with a 2 finger grip with the short mag, but the mag with the finger extension was a lot better and contributed to small groups. The gun had plenty of heft - you don't feel like you're shooting some lightweight pocket pistol. Gun recovers from recoil quickly. The grip, while short, feels full in the hand - much better than a single stack Kahr P9
    Recoil: for a 9mm, recoil was only a bit stouter than with a full size 9mm
    Ammo notes: the Winny FMJ 115 rounds were accurate enough for the distance and consistent. The Hornady TAP rounds seemed to cycle the action slugishly - I could feel the slide travel on each shot. OK accuracy. The Winchester 127 gr +P+ Ranger rounds were great - recoil was no more than regular ammo, and the action cycled super quick and snappy- gave a great feel to each shot. Accuracy was excellent - double taps were right on top of each other. If I didn't know that this ammo will beat up a gun over time if used a lot, I'd shoot this stuff all the time (and if it were cheaper). As it is, this will definitely be my carry defense ammo. POI was no different. The instructor who was behind me was expecting a lot of muzzle flash and smoke, but said he saw none.

OVERALL: I am very pleased with this pistol. I will be ordering another couple of mags with the finger extension - they just feel so much better. Great feel, great accuracy, and so far 100% reliable after 200 rounds. Great looks too. The range instructor said this was his first time with someone shooting a M&P compact and he was very impressed with it - he usually doesn't like compacts either he said.

I'm selling my Glock 23. It functions reliably, it's accurate, parts and magazines are cheap. I have a lot of respect for the gun. I just don't LIKE it or enjoy shooting it. I've owned 2 of them in an attempt to like them, but I just can't. I know exactly what it is, too. That %^&*%$ grip!

A friend of mine is buying it from me, and I already have a S&W M&P compact 40 on order, with no mag safety, no lock and night sights. At one time, I owned 3 or 4 Glocks. Now I own none, I just have the one that's department issued (Glock 22). I'm done with them. For me, it doesn't matter how reliable and convenient a pistol is....it's got to FEEL right. And I've never felt a polymer pistol that feels as right as a S&W M&P.

In the meantime, I've been packing my Ruger P97 .45 on my plainclothes assignment. Quite a bit beefier than the Glock, but I find it WAY more comfortable to shoot. The extra heft seems to make it hang on target better than the whippy little Glock.

And there's something I like about packing an American pistol on my hip again!

I've never met anyone who has handled an M&P and said that the Glock feels better. If the reliability holds up, S&W is definitely back from the dark days of the Sigma.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I just looked real close at my targets: my best group was standing, 15 feet, slow fire single shots: 5 shots in a inch and a half, with four of those being under an inch - all 4 holes touching each other, dead center in the x ring. I know I was concentrating very hard on form and sight alignment for that group (I have a tendancy to shoot low and to the right a bit) but darn! This gun can shoot when I do my part!

Van, glad the M&P treated you well. I have a compact and fullsize in 9mm and love them more and more each time I shoot them. Actually had them at a "non-typical" bachelor's party and all the guys there really liked them and were asking all sorts of questions.

You mentioned getting some more mags. Have you considered ordering any fullsize mags and getting some sleeves for them? If not, I suggest you read a review I made of them. Here's the link: M&P Mag Sleeves (picture intensive)

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    I'm selling my Glock 23. It functions reliably, it's accurate, parts and magazines are cheap. I have a lot of respect for the gun. I just don't LIKE it or enjoy shooting it. I've owned 2 of them in an attempt to like them, but I just can't. I know exactly what it is, too. That %^&*%$ grip!

A friend of mine is buying it from me, and I already have a S&W M&P compact 40 on order, with no mag safety, no lock and night sights. At one time, I owned 3 or 4 Glocks. Now I own none, I just have the one that's department issued (Glock 22). I'm done with them. For me, it doesn't matter how reliable and convenient a pistol is....it's got to FEEL right. And I've never felt a polymer pistol that feels as right as a S&W M&P.

In the meantime, I've been packing my Ruger P97 .45 on my plainclothes assignment. Quite a bit beefier than the Glock, but I find it WAY more comfortable to shoot. The extra heft seems to make it hang on target better than the whippy little Glock.

And there's something I like about packing an American pistol on my hip again!

I've never met anyone who has handled an M&P and said that the Glock feels better. If the reliability holds up, S&W is definitely back from the dark days of the Sigma.

My M&P 40C is absolutly my favorite gun and is my daily carry!! You will love it!!

Quote Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post

You mentioned getting some more mags. Have you considered ordering any fullsize mags and getting some sleeves for them? If not, I suggest you read a review I made of them. Here's the link: M&P Mag Sleeves (picture intensive)
    Thanks for the idea. Those look very well made, but to me they look like they are actually too long in the grip, which is odd since it's just a regular sized magazine... do you have small hands or something? Not a poke at you - it just looks odd that you have that much space under your pinkie finger with a full size mag/grip - I've handled a regular full size M&P and don't recall having that much grip space left over... heck, even on my Beretta 92 my pinkie finger comes close to the end of the grip, and I don't have large hands.

I have small hands. The width of my four fingers at the base knuckles is approximately 3 inches. Small hands are nice when using a compact gun as I can typically get a full grip on the shorten grip height.

But you know what they say, those with small hands make up for them with big....
    Last edited by eagle5; August 8th, 2007 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Added measurements

Nice review vashooter. I am glad that you are happy with your M&P9c. I have the .40c and I love that gun!!
    I actually prefer the shorter grip on mine. I called S&W and asked about getting another flat base to put on the mag with the finger extension and they just sent me one for free. You give that a try.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Links