Chasing new guns when we have what we need

This is a discussion on Chasing new guns when we have what we need within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shot Show is coming up and I’m sure there will be unveiled many new and innovative handguns for the concealed carry market. CZ, Colt and ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Chasing new guns when we have what we need

VIP Member

Shot Show is coming up and I’m sure there will be unveiled many new and innovative handguns for the concealed carry market. CZ, Colt and Ruger have been expanding their respective offerings recently, and each new gun is certainly intriguing. Other gun makers are also responding to market demands.

I won’t be buying any of these new guns. I probably won’t even be reading much about them, other than to know just enough to satisfy my curiosity.

Moreover, I’ll probably be selling some of the carry guns that I no longer carry. This probably means I’ll be selling my XDS .45, my XD Mod 2 .45, my Sig P229 Extreme 9mm, and a few other carry guns that have no sentimental value to me.

For me, shooting is a perishable skill, and it is a skill that does not transfer cleanly from one gun to another. Right now I think I have too many guns that I carry — I have five that I shoot a lot and carry, and three of them I carry most often. But lately range visits have taken on a work-like feel because I want to make sure I’m not stale with any one gun that I carry, and thus I take three or so at a time. So what is happening is I am diluting my shooting skills, my time, and my finances (in ammo costs) because I have too many guns that I “like” to carry, but I don’t have the discipline to limit myself to a smaller set (I may just limit myself to two eventually — but I can’t decide which).

So the last thing I want to do now is buy a new gun that pretty much does what all my other guns do — throw lead down range. If I buy a new gun, it will take me some time to get used to the gun, find the right holster, etc. But a new purchase is pointless, because I already have what I need, and the time I spend and the ammo I shoot learning the new gun could be used to maintain the proficiency I have with the guns I already carry.

For a carry gun — and by carry gun I mean a gun that you purchase with the intent to use and carry, and not a gun that you want to add to your collection for some other reason — do the factors I described above come into play when you make your decision to purchase?

If not, shouldn't they?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Sounds like you have a plan...

But, speak for yourself about the purchase of new guns....I kinda like it...although, I typically buy guns for reasons other than CC.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    Sounds like you have a plan...

But, speak for yourself about the purchase of new guns....I kinda like it...although, I typically buy guns for reasons other than CC.
    Yes, many guns I have are not for carry. Some are old and evidence a craftsmanship that no longer exists (some old Smith & Wessons, an old Colt); some are impractical range weapons (a S&W 29-10 6.5" .44 magnum). Those were all purchased for reasons other than self defense and carry, and are shot very little, or not at all.
    Sportymonk likes this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

You and your logic are irritating me, sock monkey.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    I've just went through a serious downsizing of my collection for reasons other than yours, but have begun to appreciate the simplicity of it. I have 3 that I carry with any regularity. 2 of them have the same grips, sights, and trigger configuration. The third, a P938, is a BUG. The two primaries are a P229, which is my edc, and a P227. I've got a P320 that I really like as well. It may end up as my edc after some more range time.

At one time I owned so many pistols that I liked to shoot that like you, my range time was being stretched thin with 3-4 pistols per session. I never really got good with one particular gun, or platform even. Beginning at the start of the summer I began taking only two pistols to the range, a primary and my BUG. The P320 has been a third wheel the past couple of trips in an attempt to get familiar with it. The P226 that is my bedside gun gets a trip every so often as well. I now only own 3 pistols that may only get carried a few times a year, so they don't get shot often at all. If I do pack one of them to the range, it gets 50rds at the end of the session.

I haven't seen a gun introduced since I started buying them a few years ago that's been a "got to have it" gun. The 320 only got picked up because it was a good deal. Seems everyone is restyling the same thing over and over.
    Bandit99, PEF, Struckat and 3 others like this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Agree. I have an ultra-deep conceal gun (NAA Mini); my daily deep conceal guns (dual LCPs); and my occassional weekend carry (SP101). I have my home defense gun (G19) and its backup (G26). And a backup to the SP101 (LCR). Don't really need anything else.

The G43 my wife bought, but found to be too snappy, sits in the safe. So does the G30 I bought for duty use - carried it for some time, but find I prefer revolvers on the belt. So, those two might be sold off if finances demand it. Will see.

Of late I practice a few mags/cylinders with the LCPs and/or SP101, and the rest is all .22 LR to keep up the fundamentals.
    The number of people killed because they didn't have "enough gun" is dwarfed by those who had none at all.

Excellent thread.
    While I own a peck or two of handguns I only have one I bought for carry purposes - A Colt Pocketlite. All the others were purchased since about 1980, none of them for carry purposes because never in my wildest dreams did I think Illinois would allow me to pack heat legally.
    Now I'm in a dilemma because there is one other cc gun I want - a lightweight stainless 38 j frame. I feel like I should sell off one of my collectables in order to buy the j frame.
    But guns are my hobby. I got my first gun 50 years ago for my 12th birthday. I cast my own boolits and reload all my own ammo except carry ammo for the Colt 380, and shotshells and 22 rf.
    Selling one of my guns makes me feel like I'm selling a child.
    Nmuskier and Eric357 like this.

PEF, my friend, your points are reasonable. I find that I typically only carry one of two guns, one compact .40 and one smaller 9mm that I carry while running.

All that said, any gun that I no longer want would find a happy home with my "kids" or their spouses, and they would be gratefully received.

Keeping guns in the family? A good thing.

(Of course, if you do sell one, then buy another, that's okay .)
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

After decades of constantly trying to do better I've concluded that it's often splitting hairs with one no better or worse off than before. The only real revelation is that pocket carry isn't for me.
    With that, I have 2 guns on my wish list that serve no purpose whatsoever - an Ed Brown Executive Elite and a S&W 586 (and possibly a Beretta 87 for the triple whammy of excess).
    Freedom of speech does not excuse those who are free from thought.

I only have 2 guns for carry, Shield 40 and Ruger SR9. I shoot these 2 guns all the time. The other handguns in the safe get shot on occasion. For 2017 I am hoping to add a .45 but other than that I am good. I guess its a personal decision. If you can afford to keep adding guns to your safe and you feel confident with each gun you carry more power to you.
    CalCarry and wizard7mm08 like this.

I am the sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf."
    -Lt.Col. Dave Grossman

I agree with the OP completely. I've whittled my regular CCW down to two, and I have two pocket guns for BUG or deep concealment. I think I'm gonna transition one of them (G42) so I only carry and shoot it weakhanded.

Recently I've had the itch to buy a gun, but successfully talked myself out of it because I really truly don't need another carry gun, and I really don't want to own many guns I can't carry.

Distinguished Member Array G26Raven's Avatar
    I think you're absolutely right. Although there are many guns I would like to own, I only regularly carry three of the guns I have. A lot of additional weapons don't make much sense.
    Bandit99 likes this.
    Never let the facts get in the way of a good story...
    NRA Member
    If I'm not hunting, I'm either at the range, scouting, reloading, or practicing archery.

"To you who call yourselves 'men of peace,' I say, you are not safe without men of action by your side." Thucydides

All mine are shot or I don't buy them. All have a purpose. Some is carry and some is home defense. Some are secondary guns.
    Goldy49 likes this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

No, the factors you described don't come in to play when I make a decision to purchase. No, they shouldn't. Why (?), because I'm me, not you. I don't have the discipline issue you described for yourself. I carry only my G26, but shoot the other guns I own because I enjoy doing so and don't have to justify that to anyone. If I decide I want to purchase another firearm, and I can afford it, I don't have to justify that to anyone either.
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    do the factors I described above come into play when you make your decision to purchase?

If not, shouldn't they?
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Ive got several handguns that git very little carry time ... I have a Glock 27 rolling in ... in a couple of weeks .. That will fill the bill in my carry rotation... and I have thought alot about thinning the heard ..35 + handguns with only 5 or 6 in my carry rotation .. Some for HD .. ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links