XD-45 Compact ease of carry

This is a discussion on XD-45 Compact ease of carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Those of you with the XD-45 Compact...how is it to carry that around all day? Currently I'm carrying a 5" 1911, and it is just ...

Thread: XD-45 Compact ease of carry

Those of you with the XD-45 Compact...how is it to carry that around all day? Currently I'm carrying a 5" 1911, and it is just too big for summer months carry in Texas. I'm seriously considering the XD-45. I even considered the subcompact in .40 but I think I would be happier with the compact. Just looking for some opinions from those of you that are currently carrying the .45. Thanks.
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

M2
    I have an XD-45 Service and carry it under an XL t-shirt during the summer months, using an Uncle Mike's neoprene IWB holster, with no problems. Despite the popularity of the Compact, I don't see a need to sacrifice 4 rounds of ammo to have a shorter grip. Actually, I prefer the regular-sized grip, I feel I have a stronger hold on it over the Compact.

About the only thing is the Tractiongrips I got tend to rub against my skin a bit during long periods of sitting, such as driving. But I like the increased grip they provide.

Cheers! M2

I have the compact and it is not bad to carry but I am used to a thin single stack 1911 with thin grips and a thin Max-Con V to even spoil things worse.

So it is hard not to feel a huge difference in the thickness of the XD in a holster and IWB than a 1911 IWB.

The plus is I think the XD is a sweet hunk of plastic fantasticness. I love the gun, love the way it shoot's, love the way it points, love the grip angle, love the fact it has the grip safety (1911), loaded chamber visual, ease of take down, love everything about it.

It carries much better with the 10 rd mag and if dressed accordingly it is easy the pull off and the weight or lack there of doesn't hurt either.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Mines a little fatter than I had hoped, and I look forward to the cooler months ahead.

I have an xd45 compact. Its about the same size as my compact glocks. I haven't carryed it yet, but I would assume it hides just as well. Once I have more practice with it Im considering carrying it. I just don't know if I like the trigger as much as my glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwaddicted View Post
    I have an xd45 compact. Its about the same size as my compact glocks. I haven't carryed it yet, but I would assume it hides just as well. Once I have more practice with it Im considering carrying it. I just don't know if I like the trigger as much as my glocks.
    Just an FYI,
    Depending on how you feel about a trigger job on a carry weapon you can get a trigger job from Scott at Springer Precision LLC.

http://www.springerprecision.com/default.asp

The only thing I don't like about the stock XD is the trigger, and Scott's work makes a world of difference.

As for the original question. I carry a full size XD-45 even in the summer, but I am not in Texas . If you can deal with the width the XD is a great carry gun.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I have an XD-45 Service and carry it under an XL t-shirt during the summer months, using an Uncle Mike's neoprene IWB holster, with no problems. Despite the popularity of the Compact, I don't see a need to sacrifice 4 rounds of ammo to have a shorter grip. Actually, I prefer the regular-sized grip, I feel I have a stronger hold on it over the Compact.

About the only thing is the Tractiongrips I got tend to rub against my skin a bit during long periods of sitting, such as driving. But I like the increased grip they provide.

Cheers! M2
    Ditto on that!!!

I carry the XD45C pretty much everyday. It's concealble under a slightly overlarge t-shirt, but it is thicker than the 1911. You'll notice it a little at first, but you get used to it.

Like with all carry setups, a good belt is the real key.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I find the XD 45 compact easier to carry than a 1911 (I carried a Colt Combat Commander before I got my XD). The grip is a little shorter with the 10 round magazine. The slide is a little thicker than a 1911, but the grip is the same thickness as a 1911 with standard grips (it is blockier though, which gives the impression of it being thicker). You can carry a 13 round magazine as a backup, which gives you 24 rounds with the 10+1 in the gun. It is easy to shoot and mine is 100% reliable. I have 4 XD's and have never had a malfunction with any of them. The grip angle will be familiar to you as a 1911 shooter, but the trigger will take a few rounds to get used to. I would recommend that you try to find one and try it out first. I am extremely happy with mine.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Sponsored Links