Your Advice: Glock .45 vs. Kimber .45 (CCW)

This is a discussion on Your Advice: Glock .45 vs. Kimber .45 (CCW) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a .45 (either Glock Model 30 or Kimber Compact Stainless 4"). Colt is not available in my state. Springfield is tied up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm looking for a .45 (either Glock Model 30 or Kimber Compact Stainless 4").

Colt is not available in my state. Springfield is tied up in military contracts. I was not interested in any of the others.

As I see it, Glocks main advantages are: 1) more reliable; 2) more firepower; and 3) a fast draw (draws like a revolver -- no external safety); 4) affordable, with relatively cheap replacement parts.

Glock's main disadvantages are: 1) Poor build for Southwestern CCW (bulky and boxy). Comments on Model 36 (Slim-Line) have not been favorable. 2) Worse recoil than an all-steel gun.

Kimber's main advantages are: 1) more accurate pistol; 2) many models specifically built for CCW; 3) better absorption of recoil for fast, accurate repeat shots (all-steel models).

Kimber's main disadvantages are: 1) inconsistent production quality; 2) sporadic jamming; 3) smaller magazine capacity; 4) external safety which adds an additional step in shooting; (5)uses mostly proprietary 1911 parts.

Which would you choose?
    Last edited by jsmosby; August 10th, 2007 at 09:44 AM.

In my opinion you are comparing apples and oranges.
    The reason I say that is the difference in "Trigger Systems". I've carried for over twenty years, and even carried a 1911 Gov't Model in the past. These days all I carry is either a Glock 19, Kahr PM9 or my favs, a S&W N-Frame 45 acp and a S&W 442.
    What made me give up the 1911? I missed the Thumb Safety in a match and also on the street. On the street that can get you dead. In a match it just adds time to your score. I like "point and shoot" type weapons and I consider myself moderately trained.
    For more weapon "commonality" I also added a NY1 Trigger to my Glock 19. All my SD weapons have a "similar" trigger. That just makes it easier. No offense to the 1911 guys, but I think a 4#-5# trigger pull is too light.
    That's just my $0.02 on the matter.

Biker

The question you have to ask yourself is what operating system you want to run with. You could have a Glock safe action with no safety levers but a heavier trigger pull or a lighter single action 1911 cocked and locked. Try them both and go with the trigger that works the best for you.

Interesting question

Your analysis of the two guns is very thorough, and fortunately you have decided on a caliber. Both the Glock 30 and a Kimber Pro are good choices in .45 CCW, but are quite different in the details. I currently carry a Kimber Pro, but in the past have carried a Glock 23.

I agree with the previous posters that the choice of a 1911 requires that you practice with the cocked and locked mechanism so that it becomes second nature and you don't forget to release the safety under stress. If you are not confident of this, a DAO gun like the Glock might be the better choice.

My main reasons for currently choosing the Kimber even though I could use my Glock are:

1. I can shoot a little better with a 1911 trigger - I like the short release and fast reset.

2. The Kimber grip feels better in my hand than a Glock grip - especially the rather fat grip of a Glock 30.

3. I am not hung up on high capacity - I think the first couple of shots are the most important and would not expect to need more than 8+1 rounds of .45 (the Kimber Pro capacity) in 99% of the situations I might face.

4. I like the thin profile of the Kimber Pro with slim grip panels - 0.90 inches across the slide and 1.04 inches across the grips - it conceals better than a Glock.

5. My Kimber has been reliable through about 1,500 rounds.

6. The Kimber just looks better than a Glock.

Here is my Kimber:

Rent and shoot them both, then pick the one you like best. Lastly, Glock 30s handle recoil very well. Regards, Richard

My Glock 30:

Only way to know is try them both, as suggested above. It has to feel " right" in your hand. Pick the one you are most comfortable with. You might want to try the XD's & M&P's too.

I prefer my Glock.

I've been thinking the about the same thing lately.

I think I want a .45 I like the glock 36 and I like the small 1911s made by different people. I prefer the 1911 platform and trigger. I also prefer not carrying condition 1 in certain situations. I found the LDA version of the Para-Ordinance guns. It solves this problem, they make a small single stack version in .45 and 9mm.

The Pro series from Kimber (their commander sized) is IMHO one of the the best CCW platforms for the money on the market today.
    Get a melted Pro CDP, add a magwell (if you like 'em) and a good IWB rig and you'll be set.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Imo, the external safety isn't a big deal. If you train to take it off as you draw (lots of training), it becomes second nature to take it off when you draw.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    In my opinion you are comparing apples and oranges.
    I agree with biker...apples and oranges...further I don't know that I agree with all of your pros/cons...for example:
    - I would not say that you can draw a Glock any faster than a 1911 due to the safety on a 1911...with practice they can be put into action just as quickly if you ask me.
    -I would also say that Glocks don't have harder recoil just because they are polymer. The G30 is known to be a very soft shooting .45.

just some things to think about...like the other posters I would suggest trying them both.

Biker,

Since you are apparently a sworn officer, I would be careful about adding the heavier New York trigger. The NYPD hit rate in shootings is reportedly about 8-9%. This has to be one of the worst in the country (I believe that the LEO average is somewhere in the 30s). The NYPD's dismal accuracy record may be due to the heavier double action trigger pulls on their pieces. I understand that this is one of the reasons that elite LEO/military groups prefer the 1911.

I agree with Para LDA, being a good compromise. I am a GLOCK supporter, but the trigger on the LDA is one of the smoothest production triggers I have ever handled. No offense to our neighbors to the north....but I just cannot bring myself to buy a Canadian 1911. But .....then again I am sure John Browning never intended a double action trigger on his wonderful invention.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I presently carry a glock 27 IWB and OWB. Excellent in all regards except the width is more of a factor in the IWB configuration than a 1911. With that being said, I sometimes carry my Kimber Compact stainless steel via IWB and OWB also. The Kimber conceals better due to it's width, BUT, the weight is the reason the Glock is substantially more comfortable for any period of carry past a couple of hours at a time. I am presently looking at a Colt Defender to fix this. I had a light-weight 1911 previously and did not fully appreciate the advantage of the weight savings until coming full circle in recent years.
    I have also considered the purchase of a Glock 30 in the past. When I considered this purchase, I knew that I would only carry the G30 in an OWB rig. IWB would not be practicle and that means that I could not use the G30 any time I would wear slacks with my shirt tucked in with a tuckable IWB holster. I wear shorts and a loose T shirt or polo shirt often but still did not want to limit myself when dressed differently. For me, a light-weight 1911 is the best choice to have a large caliber in a daily carry, some-times deep concealment configuration (that is still readily available). BTW, I am 5' 11" and 185 LBs.

Also, the Glock is a very fast and accurate gun, you just have to learn the trigger and practice enough. If you are a relatively new shooter or new to 1911's, you may not want to go the light-weight 1911 route. I would buy a 4" Kimber CDP if I could not have a Colt Defender. That 4" is a shooter and the weight gain over the 3" is negligable. Just a thought.

Good luck!

I have both of these, well sort of. A Glock 30 and a Kimber UCII. It has taken me a while to get the Kimber broken in. 600+ rounds? Ilove the way it shoots.... now.

Don't have that many through the Glock yet, but right out of the box so far, it has been perfect.

What I've really noticed is that having been shooting primarily the Kimber for some time now, when I first started shooting the Glock, I would "pull" the trigger and it wouldn't fire. I was expecting the same pull and distance as the Kimber, and wasn't pulling the trigger far enough. How's that for muscle memory?

It apparently is going to take some time for me to get used to an entirely different trigger pull. Not sure if I can readily switch back and forth.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

VIP Member
    My 1911 is a 4" Springfield and I do own two Glocks... hands down I'd pick the Kimber over the Glock!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links