Carrying too many guns?

Carrying too many guns?

This is a discussion on Carrying too many guns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The topic isn't really what it sounds like in the title. I'm refering to varrying your carry weapon. In other words, in your opinion, should ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying too many guns?

Question Carrying too many guns?

The topic isn't really what it sounds like in the title. I'm refering to varrying your carry weapon. In other words, in your opinion, should you carry one particular gun all the time or do you feel it's ok to varry your carry piece?

I can most certainly see the value of carrying one particular gun in the same fashion...takes out the mental step of thinking which gun you've got when you have to draw (ie..."do I have to work a safety or do I just pull the trigger?)

By the same token, I own many more handguns than I should and hate the thought of "limiting" myself to just one all the time.

Thoughts?

I rarely switch anymore. I mainly carry my Para Warthog .45. Before I got it I carried depending on concealment needs. I would carry my Makarov or XD when I needed more concealment or my Para P-14 when concealment wasn't as much of a concern or I open carried.

VIP Member
    My main carry gun is either a S&W 640 or USPc in .45 auto. I'll carry my USPc decocked with the safety off, so all I have to do with either gun is draw, aim and fire without worrying about a manual safety. I can distinguish one of my guns from another when I grip onto it, and know what I need to do to shoot it, but anything can happen in the heat of the moment, and I don't want to accidentally forget to disengage a safety if I was used to packing a gun that didn't have one.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I switch all the time. Kinda have to when I'm reviewing different carry guns. But there is one I always come back to... my dark mistress... my CZ P-01. If I'm not reviewing something else, that's the one I carry. Of course, I have my S&W 640 that gets some love too.

I generally switch between two guns (Kahr K9 and Kel-Tec P32) based on need.

Chris

When I saw the thread title, I pictured in my mind some guy in a carry vest and bdu's, waddling down the street, clanking. LOL.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

As long as they all follow the same basic pattern in their operation, I see no problem with changing it up to suit the circumstances.

It would be nice if we could take our favorite with us all the time everywhere, but that won't happen. At least not until I am king.

Primary is a Browning Hi-Power.

Alternate is a S&W J frame for when I need something lighter weight or for a quick trip out of the house and dont want to fully "cowboy up"

As with Betty's comment, I can easily tell the difference when I grip. Worst that would happen is the my thumb slides down trying to take the non-existant safety off the J Frame.
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

i switch all the time i just can help it to many guns

I switch all the time. Main carry gun is a H&K P7 series. S&W Mod 39 A.S.P. 1911 series Commander, and quite a few more to suit my needs.

Cool Decisions....decisions....

Quote Originally Posted by kevmullins
    The topic isn't really what it sounds like in the title. I'm refering to varrying your carry weapon. In other words, in your opinion, should you carry one particular gun all the time or do you feel it's ok to vary your carry piece?...........Takes out the mental step of thinking which gun you've got when you have to draw (ie..."do I have to work a safety or do I just pull the trigger?)
    I pretty much only carry a Sig P245 or a Glock M27. Both have unique safety setups. Well, the Sig has no external safety and the Glock is similar as it's mechanism is in the trigger itself, so both might as well be revolvers in this aspect. Pretty much my carry weapons are guided by situational and other factors. I feel well armed and fully capable with either one. The Glock is a bit more compact and of lighter weight, so it barely get's the nod when discretion is critical. Also the Glock M27 has readily available hi-cap mags holding 13-15 rds. The Sig does not. I can use a P220 mag and add a couple more rounds, but that's it. In a few weeks we're driving out to Texas from our home in Miami, FL. Thanks be to reciprocity agreements and I'll be legal all the way.

In this situation, discretion and comfort are critical. Also, however is the uncertainty factor of rural travel. In the event of trouble on the road in an area unfamiliar to me, I'll opt for having a lot of rounds ready to be launched over fewer but slightly bigger bullets. I figure that given my current mag inventory will allow me to have access to 72 rds before I have to think about topping a mag off (wifes job when under fire and while under cover) from the additional pair of 50rd boxes of Speer Gold Dot 165gr or my Hydra-Shok 135gr loads. She also handles the cell phone to summon help.

Finally, I have more holsters for the Glock and thus more options when clothing and the weather are factors.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lead Moderator
    I carry my HK USP or Taurus PT140. Both have very similar grips and triggers. I would not want to diffrent of gun to carry from these.

Interesting answers thus far. To answer my own question, I change pretty often. Depending on the mood, atmosphere, weather, etc., I'll go between a Ruger SP101 in .357, a Glock 23, A Kahr P9, a Smith Model 37 airweight (.38) or a Colt Det. Special in .38....on the double action side.

I'll also mix in a full size Kimber or a compact Colt...both in .45 on the single action side.

The one that sees more holster time then any is the Ruger SP101....I just love the way it carries and shoots, even if it's just a 5 shooter.

Assistant Administrator
    I have ''been thru'' in last three years - M85 snub, P95, BHP - then SP-101 for quite some time - until - using George's terminology - I found what is now my ''my dark mistress'!! The SIG 226 ST. That is my permanent carry choice for all times except, where I just have to downsize then R9 changes from BUG to primary.

I have too - just remembered, used M28-2 as carry for a while.

In essence I don't chop and change much from choice and, now SIG is numero uno - it will stay that way I think - added to which that same platform is my IDPA piece - and so I relish the extra practice.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Mostly

I carry a gov't 1911 .45.
    Sometimes, if I have to, I will carry a 642. Usually, that stays in the truck's console where I can get to it in a real hurry, since the 1911 is hard to access while buckled into a seat.
    I am looking at getting some .44 special bulldogs. One bedstand, one turck console, one BUG/light carry. Maybe I will just get one.
    Eventually, I want to get a commander that is dedicated for concealed carry. As usual, money is the constraining resource. Anyway, I do not vary my carry much at all unless the outfit I wear is not compatable with a concealed gov't .45. Then I can either go with the 642, or the Makarov.
    "You are what you do when it counts."
    "The secret to long life...is gunsights!"
    Bloodletting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links