Before I decide...

Before I decide...

This is a discussion on Before I decide... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does not a revolver offer more carry options than a semi-pistol? Dave...

Thread: Before I decide...

Before I decide...

Does not a revolver offer more carry options than a semi-pistol?

Dave

Not necessarily. There are some good small frame semi-auto's out there. Bersa,Khar, Baby Glocks, Walther ppk's ect... If you are a gun novice IMO a revolver is more simple to use. A semi-auto may take more practice to get comfortable with but practice is good. Many of our members carry some of the above mentioned weapons and I'm sure they will chime in. Try to shoot a few before you buy.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

I actually carry both. I have a S&W 442 that is a revolver carried in a pocket holster that I carry during the work week. I also carry a Glock 19 (compact 9mm) during out of office times.

The best suggestion that I can offer is to go to your gun range and shoot a few. You might find that you prefer the Revolver over the Pistol, or vice versa. The best carry gun that you will ever wear is the one that feels and shoots the best for you. Isn't it great to have so many options?
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

I had a long post typed out by the forums ate it. I have a XD9 and a 642 and I carry my snubby more because its easier for me to carry.

My 24/7 handgun is my S&W 442 38 Special Revolver.
    Yes, there are many reliable smaller "bottomfeeders" on the market. What I have found though is that the Revolver, when carried in the pocket or on the ankle, is just a "tad" more reliable.
    You would be amazed at the amount of "crud" that a gun picks up when it's carried on the ankle or in the pocket. I also find that when drawing from a pocket that the revolver, while not as sleek, tends to draw easier, faster and is not as "snag prone".
    I have a Kahr PM9 that I love, but I use it as a third or fourth weapon. I always have two guns on me when I'm Off-Duty, with a reload for each as well. Today's autoloaders are as reliable as revolvers, in most cases. I just don't want a piece of lint from my pocket to "jam" my weapon when I need it most. Also, when I carry my revolver in a jacket pocket I can fire through the pocket. Try that with an autoloader. You will have a "one shot wonder" since the pocket inhibits the slide from working.

Biker

Welcome to DC.com. If this is your first carry gun, get the wheelie. Then upgrade (or downgrade depending on your flavor) later. Just my .02

I carry both G23/Taurus 85
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks for all your replies.... A little bio on me. At one time I owned a G20 & 21, Springfield Loaded .45acp and a Ruger .480 SRH. I reloaded to like there was no tomorrow but these were basically just competition and range guns. Really never got into the Concealed Carry aspect but I am now chomping at the bit with a strong desire to get into the conceal carry mode. Have since sold all my fire arms and reloading (RCBS Pro-2000) equipment a couple of years ago. I am looking at picking up a concealed carry weapon within 3 weeks and still in the fact finding stage of things, you know, all been through it the pro's and con's etc...

This is a wonderful board with a wealth of information from a lot you seasoned and well oiled veterans...

Thanks,
    Dave

Senior Moderator
    I carry both (not at the same time)

Sometimes the auto conceals better, sometimes its a snubbie
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Administrator
    Sometimes its better to decide first how your going to end up carrying due your circumstances. Job, climate, how you dress etc. all factor in. Then go out and find a pistol that suits your needs and skill level.
    A huge mistake made often is that people find a pistol they like and try to change their lifestyle to fit the gun. Then the gun ends up in the used gun case, and you end up buying two guns for the price of three... and only have one gun to show for it.
    Last edited by SIXTO; August 10th, 2007 at 10:34 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think a snubbie offers a better firepower to carryabilty ratio than say a similar sized sub-compact. Yes you can carry a P3at/bobcat/insert jam-o-matic here/ about everywhere, but for just a little more weight/size you get a more powerful/dependable/accurate weapon.

I made the mistake Sixto speaks of when I went to buy my first CCW. I had just passed my class and bought a Beretta 92fs. After I got my CCL I soon realized it was a crappy choice for an EDC, unless it was winter time, at least for my style of dress.

A weapon that is uncomfortable will not get carried much. Five shots of .38 special in your pocket is much better than 17rnds of 9mm sitting in your safe.

Sponsored Links