Dumb bottom feeder question.

This is a discussion on Dumb bottom feeder question. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was having a conversation w/ a friend and we differed about the reliability of modern pistol magazines vs revolver. I agreed that a wheel ...

I was having a conversation w/ a friend and we differed about the reliability of modern pistol magazines vs revolver. I agreed that a wheel gun is more likely to work every time, but modern magazine springs WILL allow you to keep them always loaded and not fail. I understand this was a problem but it rarely occurs now w/ a quality magazine and gun.

Am I wrong? I am in the process of purchasing a carry gun (P3AT) and don't want it if I have to worry about weak springs because it's been loaded but not shot.

BTW - Is there a revolver made between a NAA 22mag and a J frame size?

I can't speak with authority about this but the people I talk to who should know their business assure me that leaving them loaded will not weaken the springs. I leave mine loaded.

it will not weaken the springs. maybe 50 plus years ago it would, but not now. mag springs have come a long way. so,,, load them up!!!!
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

With the availability of quality, inexpensive springs, why not just replace them. I'm getting into the habit of just replacing the recoil spring and the mag springs every year or two.

-john

Administrator
    Actually, according to Wolff GunSprings it's really only a potential problem with fully loaded double stack large cap magazines.
    Hey I'm only the messenger Don't Shoot me.
    It's on the Wolff web site.

QUESTION 5:
    "Should I unload my magazines, rotate magazines, load with fewer than the maximum rounds? How often should I change magazine springs?"

Wolff Answer:
    "Magazine springs in semi-auto pistols are one of the most critical springs and the subject of much debate and concern.
    Magazines which are kept fully loaded for long periods of time, such as law enforcement applications, will generally be subject to more fatigue than the weekend shooter's magazine springs which are loaded up only when shooting.
    Magazine design and capacity also affect the longevity of the spring. Older designs where maximum capacity was not the goal such as the 7 round 1911 Colt magazines will last for years fully loaded.
    There was a lot of room for a lot of spring which reduced the overall stress on the spring.
    In recent hi-capacity magazines, the magazines were designed to hold more rounds with less spring material.
    This puts more stress on the spring and will cause fatigue at a faster rate.

Unloading these magazines a round or two will help the life of the spring.
    Rotating fully loaded magazines will also help the problem somewhat but is not always practical.
    In applications where the magazine must be kept loaded, a high quality magazine spring such as Wolff extra power magazine springs, will provide maximum life.
    Regular shooting will verify reliability and regular replacement of magazine springs will provide the best defense against failure from weak magazine springs."

Here is a link to the WOLFF Frequently Asked Questions About Gun Springs Page.
    It's Interesting Reading. Check it out.
    http://www.gunsprings.com/Resources/FAQ.htm#5

Thanks Qk, that was the info I was about to search out to post. Wolff is commonly acknowledged to be THE authority on gun springs. Many folks, myself included, won't use anything else in their guns.
    Jack

VIP Member
    I can only speak from my own experience but I have never had an issue related to a magazine malfunction! I've been shooting semi-autos for about 36 years.

I always use factory magazines with the exception of my Springfield 1911. I feed it with Wilson magazines.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I just rotate my magazines every six months.
    I keep them loaded for six months and unloaded for six months. I did see and fire once and 1911 that had sat loaded for twenty-three years, IIRC. No "jams" or malfunctions.
    I'm just not willing to bet on that when it's easy to rotate the magazines and gives me an excuse to shoot and switch out my carry ammo.

Biker

In applications where the magazine must be kept loaded, a high quality magazine spring such as Wolff extra power magazine springs, will provide maximum life.
    Regular shooting will verify reliability and regular replacement of magazine springs will provide the best defense against failure from weak magazine springs."

If I made and sold aftermarket springs I'd say the same thing. Can't sell many springs or make much profit if the springs last years or a even lifetime.
    Just sayin.

I work in a materials manufacturing company and have asked our metallurgical engineers about this. Their response was that leaving them loaded will not hurt a good quality spring. What gets it is repeated compression and decompression. So, leaving a magazine loaded for an extended period of time actually does less harm to it than repeated loading and unloading. In any case, I have been assured that if I replace them every couple of years I will actually be replacing them long before needed regardless of how much they are used.

I actually have one magazine for my 1911 that is older than I am, and I’ll be 50 in another couple of years. It was from my fathers Colt and has NEVER had its spring changed. I use it at least once a month at the range and have yet to have any problems with it.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cherokeetad View Post

If I made and sold aftermarket springs I'd say the same thing. Can't sell many springs or make much profit if the springs last years or a even lifetime.
    Just sayin.

You beat me to it. Those were my thoughts exactly.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Doesn't change the truth of it. Use quality parts (springs). Verify operation.

Personally, I've come up against issues with my recoil spring (original spring) on my Beretta 92FS. Replacement of the spring resolved the issue.

Now I don't wait for a problem. Just like I change the car batteries every five years whether they "need it" or not.

Sure you save money by using something until it breaks, but I prefer to do the replacement under controlled circumstances, when I can verify operation directly after with a trip to the range.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    With the availability of quality, inexpensive springs, why not just replace them. I'm getting into the habit of just replacing the recoil spring and the mag springs every year or two.

-john

Can't hurt if you don't mind spending the money i guess

+1 on what Biker said....
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Have to agree with Biker & Bark'n, any excuse to empty my mags via trigger-time is better than no reason at all! So...when my wife asks why I wrote a big check to the Gun Shop, I just explain that my ammo was stale and my mag springs we just about to "take a set". So, like Wild Bill Hicock, I emptied 'em by PRACTICING!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Links