Novice Getting Started- Full-Size vs. Compact

This is a discussion on Novice Getting Started- Full-Size vs. Compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello! I am brand new to this site & the world of concealed firearms. I got my permit last winter & have since purchased an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Hello! I am brand new to this site & the world of concealed firearms. I got my permit last winter & have since purchased an Springfield XD40 (4" barrel). I like the gun & enjoy shooting it.

Is it unreasonable for a person to carry a normal-size XD40 on a regular basis (I am 168 lbs. & 5'9")? Should I shop for a sub-compact XD40?

VIP Member
    I think it's totally up to you. Most folks get a little tired of lugging around a full sized gun day after day. A few like me, I like it! If you do, don't try to do it in a cheapo holster... get a good quality holster and belt! I use Milt Sparks VersaMax-II's exclusively for all my CCW's.

You're call bro!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I'm a real fan of full size pistols for CCW. I carry a full size Glock 21 every day and I know quite a few guys who carry fullsize Glocks and 1911s. In addition to usually providing more ammo, full size firearms give you a longer sight radius and handle recoil better than their smaller brethren. Carrying a fullsize gun is doable for almost everyone provided you have a good gunbelt, a good holster, and the right cover garment. Carrying in an IWB holster also helps, though that's going to be less of a factor with the XD's 4 inch barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I think it's totally up to you. Most folks get a little tired of lugging around a full sized gun day after day. A few like me, I like it! If you do, don't try to do it in a cheapo holster... get a good quality holster and belt! I use Milt Sparks VersaMax-II's exclusively for all my CCW's.

You're call bro!

Very good advice, here.
    I'll take a .45 and a large side of JHPs, please.

Quote Originally Posted by vanilla_gorilla View Post
    Very good advice, here.
    +1....
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    One of my concerns was driving in my car with my gun concealed. Do you guys wear yours when driving or take it out & put it somewhere in the car?

I wear mine unless it's a long trip then I keep it in the center console and put it back on before I get out of the truck. I have to be carefull not to forget it, don't want to reach for a gun that's not there. As mentioned before a good holster will help.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

I go to lengths to carry full-sized handguns. They may not be as easy to conceal but are more shootable.

You may wish to try a compact version of your chosen carry handgun but don't give up on the full-sized version.

I carry a 4" N-Frame Revolver daily.
    It's a "Duty-Size" weapon that can be hard to hide if one doesn't have a good holster and belt. I also have a Glock 19 that I infrequently carry. I found that I just couldn't hide the Glock 17 well enough to suit me, no matter how hard I tried.
    In a gunfight/armed encounter you will find that the bigger gun is easier to shoot. That is worth the "hassle" of packing a big ol' "hogleg" to me.
    I carry the gun in the same place every time, even while driving, unless it's a very long trip. If I am driving across more than two states then I will remove my carry piece and place it under the seat in a gun rug. My BUG, that I carry in my support side pocket, goes to the ankle. I do this daily while driving, so I don't have the issue of reaching for something that isn't there. If I'm in the vehicle the BUG is on my ankle. Just remember to remove the BUG and Ankle Holster before getting out of the truck if you are wearing Cargo Shorts in IL.

Biker

Distinguished Member

McPatrickClan Full size carry

You are apparently questioning your own thought process in carrying a full size by posting this thread. I have a XD 9 sc which is the same width as yours, and for me it is too thick for warm weather carry. The MOST important thing is getting something you can carry with the least amount of fuss ,that will get the job done if required. This will encourage you to have it with you when at all possible. As for me as soon as jacket weather returns, I will be back to XD carry

SleepingZ

VIP Member
    Mine is always on me unless I'm on a long road trip.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

There are times and places for a .38 Colt Det Spec, . . . and a .380 Bersa Thunder, . . . mostly when I am in a hurry and NOT going into town.

My 1911 is my town gun, . . . and somehow (laugh if you want) I just don't feel as good with one of the others as I do when I have my 1911.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.
    If you can read, . . . than a teacher.
    If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

VIP Member
    I have an XD40SC and a 642. I carry them both about the same amount of time. As far as comfort the 642 wins hands down. After carrying the XD, the 642 feels like nothing.. I've never carried a full size gun, so I don't know how to compare, but the XD40Sc isn't light. A good belt and holster is key to the whole thing. Xd's are just a little thick because of the double stack mags, but I have no prob carrying it.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    The holster + belt combo is just as important as the gun, and can make worlds of difference. My buddy carries The comp-tac "CTAC" and loves it. Check out this review I hope this helps.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

+1 million on the good holster/belt advice. Made a huge difference for me.

That said......I usually carry the Glock 26 in warm weather. I've also got a P3AT for the pocket.... The full sized 1911 and CZ75 have many benefits, but not without the GOOD BELT/HOLSTER. Ya don't have to break the bank on these items, but do not neglect them.

One more thing...note where the bbl/holster will end on your body. Why? The G26 has a tendency to hit on what is a very bad nerve for me on occasion.... The longer bbl'd weps do not. YMMV...every body is unique.

Read a lot...but not enough to bring you to indecision.

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links