Interesting observation about px4 compact.

This is a discussion on Interesting observation about px4 compact. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know you don't hear much about the px4 on here while there are a few folks that like it. We bought my wife one ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Interesting observation about px4 compact.

I know you don't hear much about the px4 on here while there are a few folks that like it. We bought my wife one about 3 or 4 years ago. She use to shoot it a lot at the range but since getting her Xds for ccw two years ago she hasn't shot it much. Well I was just looking at it yesterday as decide to play around a bit with it.

To my surprise my stubby little thumbs could not reach the slim safety without changing my grip. I guess I never noticed it before because the old range we use to shoot out we didn't draw from holster and shoot.Also I had only shot it a few times myself as it wasn't mine and I had planty of mine to shoot. When she came home I had her draw and try to take the safety off also. Well well well, she couldn't either without changing her grip. I asked her how she did it at the range. She showed me how she did it with either changing her grip or using her off hand. After seeing this I'm so glad the past two years she hasn't carried it.

I'm not knocking the px4 as I've always thought it was a great gun and it fit her hand good, but maybe its not the best choice if you have short thumbs unless you turn it into a "G" model

The position of the safety/decocker on those guns is a common complaint. I converted my storm to a "G" type. I never used the lever for anything but decocking anyway. The conversion is not a difficult project and, in my opinion is a real improvement in this pistol as a carry gun.
    Eric357 likes this.

I was just watching a video last night on converting it. I thought I had to buy parts but after watching the video looks like just removing a detent ball. I'll have to decide if I'm going to tackle it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Converted my full-size to "G". Then later got the stealth levers that are "G" only.
    It is my EDC.
    Once we move out of CA I may buy the compact for carry and retire the full-size to home duty.
    (CA has a "safe gun roster" and the full-size is safe whereas the compact and sub-compact are deemed not safe. Idiots)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Eric357 likes this.

Are the stealth levers smaller than the regular ones?

Do you really need to have the safety on when carrying a Beretta? I thought the safety was just for decocking. The PX4 has a pin block to keep the gun from firing unless the trigger is pulled even if the safety is off and it has a significant double-action trigger pull. I have seen discussions about this online and it seems most PX4 carriers carry with the safety off.

Putting the safety on should not be an issue. You are not going to be under time pressure to do that.
    Eric357 likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

No carrying with the safety off would not be an issue. It would be no different than me carrying my 229 or 226. My only concern would be if that small safety was to get flipped to safe and then fumbling with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    No carrying with the safety off would not be an issue. It would be no different than me carrying my 229 or 226. My only concern would be if that small safety was to get flipped to safe and then fumbling with it.
    I don't know: Are they that easy to accidentally flip? If they are, I wonder if you could get a stronger detent spring put in it.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

They are not that easy. I guess I'm a little more careful since its my wife's firearm and not mine. I'll have to look more into how easy it is to know off and on. Heck I might get a chap holster and carry it to the office for awhile.

Is the G a decocker only? I read there is a "carry" version of the compact that is out now. Not sure what type of safety/decocker setup it has though.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array darbo's Avatar
    Did you install the small back strap that came with the pistol? Maybe that will allow you to reach the safety. I don't have long thumbs but am able to reach the safety with the medium back strap. Having said that I don't use the safety most of the time anyway with the DA first trigger pull.

I have never held the PX$ but this is good info to know. I'm not crazy about a safety on a carry gun in the first place.
    Eric357 likes this.

Senior Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    Are the stealth levers smaller than the regular ones?
    Here are two photos.
    First is the original "bat-wing" levers:

Second is the low-profile "stealth" levers:

The low-profile levers are "decocker-only"

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Eric357 likes this.

VIP Member
    The thing that surprised me is how short the barrel is in such a large gun . 3.3" is pocket gun territory.
    Eric357 likes this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

I have another interesting observation about them...they are 2" thick.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links