Range Report: Witness 10mm Compact

This is a discussion on Range Report: Witness 10mm Compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had full-sized 10mm polymer Witness for a couple of years. It's a great value and a good gun. Underrated IMHO. I got the compact ...

Thread: Range Report: Witness 10mm Compact

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

Range Report: Witness 10mm Compact

I've had full-sized 10mm polymer Witness for a couple of years. It's a great value and a good gun. Underrated IMHO.

I got the compact just last week. I was a little disappointed, but the jury will remain out until I can get some more 10mm ammo and do a little more testing.

I say that, 'cause it jammed once or twice per clip. That is bad. Very bad. Frustrating. Unaccpetable, too, in gunfight terms.

OTOH, I was diddling with the gun, so my tests might not be completely fair. I was shooting +P stuff through it, and some Double Taps, too. Pretty hot stuff. I was also experimenting wth various and sundry recoil springs.

On the plus side, when loaded with normal ammo and the factory spring, the gun did just fine.

On the negative side, it didn't get her done with anything else.

So we'll see. It could be that guns come from the factory the way they do, with the warnings about not monkeying with them or using certain kinds of ammo in them for a reason- maybe even a very good reason

I'll run some standard pressure Miwall through it, with factory recoil and magazine springs. If it does OK, maybe then some Winchester Silvertips- which have been flawless in the full-size.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

2. Remove Ads

At least you got out to put rounds through it and find out what works for it and what doesn't. It was certainly worth it in that respect. How do you like those handguns? I see them all the time and the pricing seems very reasonable. I'd possibly add one to my collection in the future.

Any pics?
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    The fullsize is, IMHO, a lot more reliable. I like it a lot; it even fits my girly-man-sized hand. The compact is less reliable (I think- as I said, the jury is out until I run some plain vanilla through it), but it's a little big for my mini-paws.

No pics, sorry. I'll see if I can't figure out the wife's digital camera tonight....
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I've nevr heard of a Compact that worked 100&#37; with every load.
    Slide vleocity with the short slide could be the culprit, same as with my RAMI and hot loads.

The bigger Witness pistols are more reliable..
    MY full-sized 10mm seems to be so in about 6,000 rounds of both factory and reloads. Only modifications are Hakan grips and #20 Wolff spring.

I carry Double Tap 165gr Gold Dots, will be going to the 180 Gold Dot
    for winter carry.

www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Links