Thoughts on Bersa ??

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Bersa ?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was recently at the local "toy" store and a Bersa Thunder 380, in nickel caught my eye. I shot one a few years back ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Bersa ??

Thoughts on Bersa ??

I was recently at the local "toy" store and a Bersa Thunder 380, in nickel caught my eye. I shot one a few years back and loved it. Any experiences, out there good or bad with this gun, I know it's a great little shooter, I just wanted to know if they "hold up" well and if there's any ammo they don't like. I usually go for bigger calibers, so I don't know much about 380's so any input would be great. I'm hoping, this will be a good BUG.
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    No links to hand but - there have been a few threads on this gun - one IIRC quite recently. I'll see what I can find.

Overall - a very good gun for a very fair price. Reliability seems better than might be expected from a budget gun and the three I have been involved with (mine/wife's - and two I organized for friends) .... seem to eat pretty much all ammo.

I don't regard these as 1,000's of rounds range plinkers - but reckon that once well proven over a few hundred rounds - they'll do very adequate carry duty. I also have the UC-9 and find that an excellent gun for price too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here - http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=30167 - this is just one thread - should answer your questions. (search can be your friend sometimes!!)
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Some consider the Bersa .380 to be the best gun for the money out there. Ranks right up there with the Rock Island 1911A1 for value. Chuck.

I used to own a Bersa 380 CC. I did all the research concerning its reliability and felt satisfied by what I read that it would hold up. After shooting it however, I personally had problems with it. Perhaps it was just a break in period, but through the first 300-400 rounds, I would get a failure to eject on at least every other magazine and up to two per magazine. I am not completely ruling my form out as a reason, but once I got my Kahr I have not had the problem once in over 2,600 rounds. I ended up selling it (the Bersa that is) because the magazine safety spring broke after 400 rounds. You could shoot it upside down if you wished (I didn't) and instead traded it back in toward my PM9
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

I can tell you mine was perfect after a hundred rounds. My boss has one that has been fine also. My buddy, who bought his at the exact same time I did has had nothing but problems. Jams like crazy and chewed up some internals. I don't know if I would trust one without 500 rnds of my own through it.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

VIP Member
    Like others have said you get way more than you pay for with a Bersa Thunder. I have put over a thousand rounds through mine with not even one mishap. Its a weapon I can trust.

Thanks all for the info, the only thing, so far I have a complaint about, is mine only came with one 7rd mag. I've been looking for a couple 10 rounders and maybe another 7 and compared to other manufacturers, Bersa aftermarket mags are high.
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ENSANE1970 View Post
    Bersa aftermarket mags are high.

Bersa mags are high but I hear through others that after market mags do not work well in a Bersa Thunder. Get the name brand mags. When I carry my Bersa I carry 2 extra mags made by Bersa and never had any problems.

I have a 380 CC model in nickle. I love shooting it, it conceals great BUT. Yes there is a but, It is picky with what ammo it will feed and like mentioned above, mag are outrageous and 380 ammo costs more then 9mm. With the right ammo it rocks.

I have the 380 and have had no problems. Maybe 800 rds through it. Easy to carry and hide great to shoot. Don't try aftermarket mags. Don't know for sure what i got but they are trash.

I have had my Bersa 380 for about 3 months - love the feel, the accuracy, the size... but I too have had failure to eject or failure to feed about once every other magazine. I've put maybe 300 rounds through the gun so far but I really need to do some more testing as far as paying attention to my form (my issue may very well be a limp wristing issue - seems to happen at the end of rapid fire strings when my concentration is off), the frequency of FTF's on each mag (I bought an extra Bersa factory mag when I bought the gun), etc. before I rule the pistol itself as "problematic".
    For a smaller, lower-priced pistol the sights are good, the finish of the gun is good, the accuracy is good... just hoping I can figure out this FTF problem... the gun seems to catch the next cartridge in the mag too quickly and the round is getting tipped upward so that the nose of the bullet gets jammed above the mouth of the chamber-it basically gets tipped vertically instead of going straight into the chamber. That's why I'm thinking it's a limp wristing issue or a mag spring that's sticking- it seems like the slide is not going back full battery and there fore is stripping the cartridge before it is fully raised into position by the mag follower (or if it's a sticky mag follower/spring then the cartridge is occassionally being lifted into position too slowly).
    Anyway... you mentioned that you didn't have lots of exp. with the 380 ACP cartridge - many people feel it's either just barely below adequate as a self defense caliber or just barely adequate. Debates rage about using FMJ or a quality hollow point in 380 for best defense (penetration in the FMJ is good, where some feel that with hollow points the 380 won't penetrate enough). I'm on the side that for most close-in defensive encounters (7 yards or less without barriers other than clothes) the hollow points in 380 such as the Corbon 90 grain or the Corbon DPX 80 gr are good rounds that will expand reliably and do a good deal of damage to a target if you do your part and put rounds in the center mass. Is it as powerful as a 9mm? No, but a 380 ACP out of a 3.5inch barrel (Bersa length) is just a powerful as a 38 Special out of a 2 inch barrel - long a standard self defense set up in revolvers.

If you want to know more about them go to www.bersatalk.com and ask those guys any of your questions. They know more about bersas than any of the other forums.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

VIP Member
    vashooter is your weapon a cc model or the Thunder model? I have heard of that kind of trouble in the cc model. Before I bought my Thunder, I read up on it a little and some of the test I seen written on it on the internet was saying that they could not get a misfire out of the thunder even when they tried to limp wrist it. My experience have been very good with the Bersa Thunder but I also know that a lemon comes in every brand now and then.

Assistant Administrator
    hoping I can figure out this FTF problem... the gun seems to catch the next cartridge in the mag too quickly and the round is getting tipped upward so that the nose of the bullet gets jammed above the mouth of the chamber-it basically gets tipped vertically instead of going straight into the chamber.
    I am not sure here of the ''too quickly'' as to how you mean it ..... my theory is that it might be possible if slide does not go fully to rear (spring over-strong or ammo weak) - then slide tries to pick up next round too soon (your 'too quickly' perhaps?) - the result being that slide velocity just too slow to engage bullet in chamber fast - and so round has time to kick up to produce this jam.

If slide starts from further back then by time it strips off top round - the whole deal is really travelling at good speed - and so round makes it to full battery.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I am not sure here of the ''too quickly'' as to how you mean it ..... my theory is that it might be possible if slide does not go fully to rear (spring over-strong or ammo weak) - then slide tries to pick up next round too soon (your 'too quickly' perhaps?) - the result being that slide velocity just too slow to engage bullet in chamber fast - and so round has time to kick up to produce this jam.

If slide starts from further back then by time it strips off top round - the whole deal is really travelling at good speed - and so round makes it to full battery.
    Yes - that's exactly what I mean. Good deciphering of my expanation.
    When you said that your theory is that it might be possible if the slide doesn't go fully to the rear - that's what I think it's doing because I'm limp wristing it sometimes- and my wrist/arm is taking up a good deal of the rearward motion, in effect cancelling out some of the rearward motion of the slide - causing it to "short stroke" if you want to use a shotgun analogy. When I shoot the Bersa deliberately, slowly, with a good firm grip I never notice it hapenning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links