What caliber is your EDC? - Page 2

What caliber is your EDC?

This is a discussion on What caliber is your EDC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 9mm. I can conceil my P938 with 7+1 and a spare. No matter what I'm wearing. Same gun, every day, everywhere. Everyone you meet knows ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: What caliber is your EDC?

9mm. I can conceil my P938 with 7+1 and a spare. No matter what I'm wearing. Same gun, every day, everywhere.

Everyone you meet knows something you don't.
    - H. Jackson Brown
    Everyone you meet knows something you don't.
    -H. Jackson Brown

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GR View Post
    I've read a article that was explaining the reason law enforcement is moving to 9mm and that their efficiency these days is on par with 45 with a much more controllable recoil.
    That for me was the base of sticking to 9mm which tbh I shoot better groups with anyway especially in 3-4 consecutive fast shots.

Gotta ask. Is it really that 9mm is on par with 45 or is it wishful thinking? Is it really on par or are we told it is by marketing and we make a calculated effort to believe it?

My EDC is liable to be anything, even weird cartridges, but is generally .38 Special or .45 ACP.

Hah! I'm going to the range in a little while and it's going to be 9mm of all things as I want to play with the CZ 75BD.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I do not have just one EDC, I have maney and these are the calibers: .22 mag., 22 lr. .32 short, .32 long, .32 H&R Mag, 327 Federal magnum, .380 acp, .38 spl, .38 spl +P, .357 Mag, 44 spl, .44 mag, .40 cal, .44 Colt and last but not least, .357 Sig. I like choices. I also am old and have medical conditions that on some days limit me to certain guns and calibers.

I also collect knives, mostly pocket, so my EDC knife is also determined by need and size. I never have an excuse not to carry a gun and a knife because I have them small enough to fit into the waterproof pocket of my swim trunks and large enough to fit into a shoulder bag. Add Pepper spray, a small ASP Baton and tactical pen and I am well armed for an old guy. I do not know if my training from over 40 years ago will help me today, but I still remember a few things.

Distinguished Member Array Doogie's Avatar
    .38 or .380
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids! C. Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    Mostly .45 but may be .357 at other times.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

I made a decision long ago to forego the flavor of the month kind of thinking and simply choose a practical caliber and go with it. I selected the 9mm platform back in 1989 when I moved from a revolver based EDC to a semi auto...I have not looked back. I certainly wouldn't consider a 45 to be overkill.. it is a very capable caliber but its one that generally comes with substantial weight as well as diminished capacity. I moved away from revolvers due to a desire to have more available ammo and although the 1911 is a fine weapon, its just not my cup of tea for EDC. My advice to people is usually to select a platform and just go with it, train train train.. learn learn learn and practice practice practice.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AWT View Post
    I was just wondering what everyone carries on a daily basis. I have both the shield 9mm and the shield 45 now, and I've seen different opinions on what is the best caliber for EDC. I plan on my EDC being the 45, would this be considered overkill?
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Depends on who is doing the considering. There are those who probably consider the .45 Super I am carrying right now to be overkill.
    AzQkr, Eric357, OD* and 1 others like this.
    "To reject the notion of expertise, and to replace it with a sanctimonious insistence that every person has a right to his or her own opinion, is silly."

Tom Nichols

I think alot of the thinking behind 40 wearing out quicker is the fact a lot of 40s are based of 9mm platforms. I shot the snot out of my old G23, never noticed any unusual wearing on it. Shot just as good as it did when I bought, when I sold it.
    LeanHard likes this.

I carry 9mm about half the time and a .380 about half the time.

I don't guess that I even OWN an EDC (Every Day Carry) 'cuz I don't carry any one handgun...EVERY day. (Kinda' sad isn't it?)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by AWT
    What caliber is your EDC?
    38+P

I carry 45acp on rare occasions. But I feel well armed with 38+P.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Most days .40 of some sort. P229,P226 or PPS.

I will add there are those rare occasions I carry my 357mg sp101.
    flintlock62 likes this.
    I like the .40 .

VIP Member
    9 mm except when the wife is out of town I might use her Glock 42 (380) for pocket carry. I don't think the recoil from a 1911 shooting 45 is much harsher than a 9 mm. Different feel but just as easy to keep tight groups firing fast. For me I had a much more difficult time controlling fast followup shots with my Glock 23 (40). Lot of guys have no problem with the 40 but I became a much better shot when I switched to 9 mm.

Only reason I don't EDC a 1911 is the weight.
    Eric357 and glockman10mm like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Depends on the day attire etc. But typically its a 38 SPL.

But often it's a 9mm, 380 ACP and occasionally 44 Mag.
    Eric357 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

357 when I'm in the woods. Otherwise I usually carry a 40 S&W.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links