What caliber is your EDC?

This is a discussion on What caliber is your EDC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just wondering what everyone carries on a daily basis. I have both the shield 9mm and the shield 45 now, and I've seen ...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree193Likes

Thread: What caliber is your EDC?

I was just wondering what everyone carries on a daily basis. I have both the shield 9mm and the shield 45 now, and I've seen different opinions on what is the best caliber for EDC. I plan on my EDC being the 45, would this be considered overkill?
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    golowandslow likes this.

GR
    I've read a article that was explaining the reason law enforcement is moving to 9mm and that their efficiency these days is on par with 45 with a much more controllable recoil.
    That for me was the base of sticking to 9mm which tbh I shoot better groups with anyway especially in 3-4 consecutive fast shots.
    rcsoftexas likes this.

Overkill hahahahahahahaha, no sir.
    Anyway, same for me on the 2 calibers. Carry .45 whenever I can get away with it.
    When I *don't have a jacket or large shirt it's 9mm.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    "It's always good to be underestimated" - Donald Trump

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I carry a 9mm compact and a full size 45.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    "Responsibility is the price of freedom." -Elbert Hubbard

Distinguished Member Array Havok's Avatar
    I started out carrying .45 but now carry 9mm.

And no, 45 is no more overkill than 9mm is.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    The only thing you can have too much of is liberals.

Not trying to start a caliber war...........I CCW 9mm, .40's, .45ACP and .357 Mag depending on my situation for that day.

I keep hearing and reading people say “With todays ammo, there is no difference between 9mm, .40 cal and .45 ACP”! I say nonsense! The same ammo advancements that improved 9mm also improved .40 cal and .45 ACP. IMHO; even if you didn’t know anything about firearms ballistics, just lining up the 3 caliber cartridges along side each other, to say the 9mm “equals” the .40 cal and .45 ACP is foolish.
    AS far as the FBI report that 9mm meets or exceeds LEO requirements, I don’t believe the FBI report. I firmly believe it a political correct report so woman and small men can qualify with their firearms. It has been widely know that many LEO’s could not qualify as well or at all when switching from 9mm to .40 cal’s. So, instead of improving training and competency, it was easier to lower the bar on ammo…….The FBI isn’t fooling me! If they tell that lie often enough, it becomes truth (to some).
    Just my opinion……

With quality defense ammo (147 grn HST) 9MM is what I carry. I was thinking getting a 40 cal but after doing some research and finding how more wear there is on 40 cal pistols and the capacity and control of 9 MM and that quite a few LE agencies are going BACK to 9 MM, it will work just fine

Usually .38 special, .45 ACP the rest of the time
    bmcgilvray and SWIll like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by strider43 View Post
    With quality defense ammo (147 grn HST) 9MM is what I carry. I was thinking getting a 40 cal but after doing some research and finding how more wear there is on 40 cal pistols and the capacity and control of 9 MM and that quite a few LE agencies are going BACK to 9 MM, it will work just fine
    You can buy a lot of 40 caliber pistols for the money it would take in ammo to wear it out, lol

I think I was issued my G22 in 1999, and after years of qualifying 4x a year, competing and personal use, it's still going strong.
    bmcgilvray, kukla, AzQkr and 11 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

38, 9mm, 45ACP, and 357 magnum. I like to mix it up a little.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    You can buy a lot of 40 caliber pistols for the money it would take in ammo to wear it out, lol

I think I was issued my G22 in 1999, and after years of qualifying 4x a year, competing and personal use, it's still going strong.
    I wondered about the accuracy of that information regarding larger cal wearing our faster. I get the recoil control part but I don't see how the larger cal would wear out any sooner per rounds fired....
    HoustonB77 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by strider43 View Post
    I wondered about the accuracy of that information regarding larger cal wearing our faster. I get the recoil control part but I don't see how the larger cal would wear out any sooner per rounds fired....
    Im sure there is some accelerated wear, but I think in the realm of practicality, it's a bit overstated.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

9mm is my EDC.
    Leaving in the field his arms,
    let no man go
    a foot’s length forward;
    for it is hard to know
    when on the way
    a man may need his weapon.

Depends on what day it is and how frisky I feel.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

9mm and 38 spl.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links