Let's Discuss Your Confidence In Your EDC - Page 2

Let's Discuss Your Confidence In Your EDC

This is a discussion on Let's Discuss Your Confidence In Your EDC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Excellent thread Bryan. It makes one think. In my case, I believe that experience and confidence can be a two edged sword. It has created ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree576Likes

Thread: Let's Discuss Your Confidence In Your EDC

Excellent thread Bryan. It makes one think.

In my case, I believe that experience and confidence can be a two edged sword. It has created a lot of complacency on my part, because I am completely confident in my ability, and therefore it diminishes the importance I place on caliber/platform.

In my mind, and from my field testing, I have no doubt that caliber is important.
    But yet, I feel confident in what I could do with a 22 caliber revolver or pistol, and would not be the least bit concerned if it was all I had in my pocket. I have been in places where just having a 32acp or 22 mag would have felt like having the Hammer of Thor.

Im sure my abilities physically have diminished with age, although I don't feel it.

Of course, I have preferences, but no real concerns.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

In my case I will always believe that a pistol is lacking. Doesn't matter what the caliber is. That being said I have confidence in what is between my ears to get me out of situations. A handgun is just a tool.
    molleur, gatorbait51 and 10thmtn like this.

Being armed is now pretty common
    You know back in the day when it was somewhat uncommon to be armed, people thought you could just bring a fist or a foot to a fight. Now, with MMA and the UFC, we know that to a point, that's not enough. It's not like on TV. People wilt under pressure. When there is not enough time to assess and deploy and get into the fight, you are going to get overrun it's as simple as that.

The Reality Gap
    Now there are those here that think they are all that, and perhaps they are but one must always remember that there is a huge reality gap between getting into the fight, getting out from behind the 8-ball, and heck even knowing there's a fight a 'coming your way.

The Gear GAP and original freedom

In a sense it's a study of how use of any kind of gear, decision-making and the 'gap' as you bring things to bear takes one away from the original freedom...to ACT, and ACT NOW!

Grabbing for your waistband could be a mistake before you have the needed distance and time

Someone throws something at you and how often is there a wish to intercept, to block, to sidestep, to grab for a sidearm? While you're grabbing at your waistband you're being killed. You need time and distance.

Frailty

Past the age of quick reaction times we are all very frail. This is why it's a good idea to not get involved in a physical confrontation.

Defensive juices must flow - in COLD BLOOD

Further, who has the stomach for killing someone. Even those who are very justified are often wracked with guilt and sorrow at taking a life IN COLD BLOOD. I've ranted about this before. It's not WAR, though it's just like war out there. By the time you get your defensive juices flowing, the fight is just over.

Trigger points

A key event is to regain or find the trigger-point for immediacy. If one could get into the fight quicker, and I don't mean drawing a side arm, I mean mentally getting in, knowing what is happening, it would go a long way to creating a superior position. We must remember our BJJ lessons. POSITION before SUBMISSION. Those concepts still hold in gunfighting. Figure out how to get positional dominance. You can't do it by watching a video - it takes a superior state of mind.

What we watch for

We watch people 'do it' - the guy at the gas pumps, the guy in line at the store who fades behind a person in line and hope and wish we had that aplomb, but it's a rare skill.

Having said that - go get some experience the best way you can. Run your equipment and forget, mostly about 'what equipment'. FWIW
    R.E.D. (Retired. Extremely. Dangerous.) From the movie with Willis, Malcovich and Mirren

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Confident, yes
    Weapon, yes 100%
    Experience, yes!
    Will, absolutely!
    Perfect practice always sought, yes!
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

A thought provoking topic. Since I'm new at conceal carry I really don't have a leg to stand on, but I never let a lack of knowledge stop me from giving my opinion before...

I bought a gun for my wife this Christmas. She said before my purchase that she wanted to go to the range and try a bunch of pistols out. I don't necessarily agree with that approach. I don't think running through a box of rounds with a bunch of guns means that much, particularly with a novice shooter. I know I'm going to get disagreement here, but let me explain.

When I was in infantry training we were not given an option on a weapon. The firearm was handed to us and we were told to learn about it, practice and become efficient. We were not asked how does it feel, or are the sights right for us, etc.. Knowing about my wife, who can be a tad indecisive, trying a bunch of guns would just confuse her. Instead of focusing on a choice of gun I think the focus should be on becoming good with the gun you have. Kind of like if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

I did the research and went through the reviews and chose a Shield 9. She really didn't like it at first. She found the slide hard to rack and the first time she shot it she was consistently lower left. Over time she's gotten better and better with it.

I guess as far as choosing the right weapon I would stand with the idea of getting a well engineered pistol with a good track record and learn and practice to become good with it. If it fires when the trigger is pulled everything else is up to the operator, so to speak.

Just my opinion and I'm open to learn if I'm incorrect.

VIP Member
    I am confident in the gun(s) I carry being totally reliable. I am not as confident in my skill at using said gun(s) because age and arthritis have adversely affected my former skill level. However, I do what I can, and that includes using the carry gun(s) as regularly as possible for practice. Yes, I can still hit where I aim. But it sure takes longer now.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    Expect the best but prepare for the worst. Ammunition, magazines, fate, luck, hand of God...anything can happen. There is nothing worse than expecting a bang and not getting one nor not expecting a bang and getting one.
    gatorbait51 and Eric357 like this.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

I think about this sometimes. I can shoot a smaller caliber handgun more accurately and rapidly than a larger caliber. But is the smaller caliber going to be effective? More effective than a miss with the larger caliber I tell myself. But when I end up carrying the larger one it makes me feel better. And I like feeling better. Everything is a tradeoff with concealed carry.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

I'm confident in my ability and equipment to effectively protect myself and loved ones. There's always room for improvement of course.

I always have a desire to do more and find ways to challenge myself. My saving grace within the realm of shooting and defensive mindset is I thoroughly enjoy almost all aspects. This not only drives me to be effective at it, but keeps me coming back for me knowledge and experience.

There's a thin line between confident and overconfidence and I do my best to not step over it.
    gatorbait51 and Eric357 like this.
    "Responsibility is the price of freedom." -Elbert Hubbard

The following is MHO and it only applies to my thinking and my actions on the proposition in the OP. Everyone else has my blessing to do what they want.

I remember an article by a gun writer decades ago. He was a decorated Vietnam vet who wrote a lot in his columns that his EDC was a .38 snubby. In one article, he answered a question that he said he got a lot, challenging that choice. The gist of the question was, "If you were really in a gunfight, what would you really want to be armed with? His answer was, "An M-60 with a full belt of ammo, backed up with a walkie talkie that I could use to call in air support." He went on to say that solution is not practical for civilians or even LEOs and that no amount of firepower covers you for 100% of eventualities and he felt his snubby covered him for 90+% of eventualities.

Gun author, gunsmith and trainer Grant Cunningham, in his great book, "Defensive Revolver Fundamentals" says words to the effect, "A platoon of North Korean commandos might parachute into your front yard, but it's not very likely. So why prepare for it?" I challenge the notion that anyone here can, or even should want to, be 100% confident in their EDC. It's just not realistic and it puts all the responsibility on an inanimate object.

The truth is, for non-LEOs, and there is research on this (I have citations, but I don't provide them - get your fingers moving and Google it like I did!):
    • Most people will never get in a life or death situation that a gun could solve. (although it's good to be prepared for one!)
    • Most people who do get in a life or death situation that a gun could solve will resolve the situation just by brandishing.
    • Most people who do get in a life or death situation that a gun could solve and can't resolve the situation just by brandishing resolve it with one shot, regardless of the number of attackers. Mostly groups of attackers scatter when the gunfire starts. One study of over 240 non-LEO shooting found not one instance of co-conspirators coming to a main attacker's aid once a defensive shot was fired.
    • Most people who do not resolve the situation with one shot, resolve it in an average of three at a range of less than three yards.
    • The main thing in a gunfight is to have a gun and be able to use it.

So the situation to my mind is you can't prepare for everything, but a fairly minimal solution can prepare you for most things. I EDC a snubby in my pocket and another in the car that I can quickly switch to ve a second carry. I am 100% confident they will take care of 90+% of situations I could get into, that they are as close to 100% reliable as guns can be and that I can hit with them under pressure at 90+% of the ranges I might have to shoot at.

I also believe shooting is not my first defense. There is situational awareness, being in Condition Yellow most of the time,* being ready to find good cover and/or run, pepper spray, a knife and 25 years of H2H training. I will shoot if I have to, but I will avoid it if I can.

* At least to the extent that I don't have to go through the "What's happening, this can't be happening, it is happening, what should I do" chain of Condition White.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Well, I guess my confidence level would depend on what Im facing. In general, I have high confidence in what I carry, and my ability to hit well with it/them.

However, if what Im facing is some nut job in the mall shooting up the place with an AK47, or whatever, Im gonna feel under gunned to say the least.

I'm one of those that spent a lot of time researching my carry guns. I even switched platforms due to a lack of confidence in my initial choice. I now own two guns that I carry. They are identical in operation, they only differ in size. Personally, I think this is important. I'm concerned with people I know or see on the web who have a carry rotation that varies across maker/platform. Worse are the ones who buy a new gun because it is "fun to carry". I spent a lot of money on quality, reliable weapons and I shoot them often and take care of them to maintain their reliability. They are not toys, and this is not a game.

I'm also confident in my will to use said firearms. I'm a very nice person who like nothing more than to laugh. I also have little problem contemplating an appropriate force response to a threat to me, my family, or my loved ones. Very little. Almost robot like. I think I learned some of this from being in a position to fire several people over the course of my career. It's not something I'm proud of, but I have learned that in nearly all of those situations I did not make the decision to fire someone, they did - with their actions or lack of. I know it's not on the same plane, but I think the same logic holds for those injured or killed out of self defense. They made a decision to take an action that yielded an appropriate reaction, not me. Big assumptions made here that the reaction is appropriate.

Finally, I know I need more training, and I seek it out as appropriate. I do, however, believe midset is a big part of that training, and I think that is something we can and should practice every day without ever drawing our weapon.

Finally, I agree with those that have pointed out the impirtance of knowing what a handgun can and cannot do. Based on my developing understanding of this, I'm on the verge of my first AR purchase.
    Last edited by raneyday; January 11th, 2017 at 08:15 PM.

I've just thought of a few points while browsing thru the thread:

1) handguns are used in self defense an estimated 3 million times per year in the US, But, in the vast majority of those case, the handgun was not fired. Presentation alone, and even the BG knowing that the intended victim was armed stopped the conflict before it started.

2) as far as I'm concerned, all of my handguns are capable and reliable. I'm more fond of some, and less fond of some, at the range, but they are all capable of a reliable shot if necessary, and even more reliable as a detente as stated above.

3) my only real concern is this: am I willing to kill, if "be killed" or "allow a family member to be killed" is the only other option? I tell myself that I am prepared to shed blood if it comes to that, but am I, really? The only way to find out is to be put in that situation. I hope I never have to face it, but in the eventuality, I do carry when I can, just in case.
    gatorbait51 and Goldy49 like this.

A question that makes you think-thank you!
    Confidence in chosen weapon, yes.
    Confidence in a middle aged body to perform, that varies day to day.....

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 and Goldy49 like this.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

I am confident that I could make most any tool work.[ I have defended myself with a shovel!] Do I think I could do the same or better with most any pistol? Yes! I have practiced enough that I think I could defend myself with most any gun. Mostly out of curiosity of how they work and can I make them work. I would say I have gotten better as I have aged. When I was younger I was more interested in other skills. As I get older pistol skills have become more important to me! DR

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links