Let's Discuss Your Confidence In Your EDC

This is a discussion on Let's Discuss Your Confidence In Your EDC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have you ever examined how much confidence you have in your chosen EDC? For the purpose of this topic of discussion it matters not what ...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree570Likes

Thread: Let's Discuss Your Confidence In Your EDC

Senior Moderator

Have you ever examined how much confidence you have in your chosen EDC? For the purpose of this topic of discussion it matters not what you've chosen to carry or what cartridge it chambers. How much confidence do you really have in your EDC and your ability to effectively use it if called upon to defend yourself? How deeply have you considered your side arm choice?

I have decent skills. I've been better. I can always benefit from more knowledge and practice. I remain convinced though that I can "cause something to happen," can positively influence the outcome of an assault in my favor through the use of my chosen side arms with the degree of core skills I can bring to their use. I like my choices. How much do you like your choices?

After reading on the Forum for some years, it becomes apparent that there are many who lack real confidence in their handgun choice. Some readily admit they lack confidence. For some others one has to "read between the lines."

Possible Reasons for Lack Of Confidence

- Simple ignorance

- Suggestibility, originating from shooting buds, forums, and that big bug-a-boo, firearms and ammunition marketing.

- Lack of basic skills

- Choosing the handgun for wrong reasons. Examples: its looks, following trends, a cursory "feel" impression at the gun shop counter, Movie use (the "Dirty Harry" syndrome), unrealistic expectations about the choice's cartridge capabilities whether it be heavy caliber or fearsome high-tech projectile performance.

Do you ever choose to tote a handgun for which you have a lack of complete confidence? I do. I have infrequently chosen to carry a Kel Tec P3AT even though I dislike the gun, its ergonomics and size, and the .380 cartridge. I more often carry a J-frame snub even though I don't expect it to perform as well for me in some potential defensive scenarios as my more favored handgun choices would. Sometimes a compromise is required though I strive to limit those occasions rather than to embrace the least amount of "gun" I can get by with. I've determined that the least amount of gun I can get by with is not the gun I want if gunfighting is called for.

Personal confidence and the lack thereof underpins a lot of Forum content. Where are you on the topic of confidence? How important is a high degree of confidence to you? Do you have that confidence?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I am more confident in my gun's ability to shoot accurately than I am in my ability to MAKE it do so.
    I am confident that the calibre will be sufficient for most any situation that would require I pull the trigger.

Unless it happens, I will never be 100% confident that I will do the correct thing in a SHTF situation.
    I can only prepare and hope that the preparations lead to the best outcome.
    Confidence can lead to arrogance, can lead to sloppiness, can lead to bad juju...
    Northface, Hodad, GR and 12 others like this.

Hypothetical Scenario: You have been in a fight. You are down to the last bad guy and your last bullet. He's coming around the corner to finish you off. What gun and what bullet would you want?

About forty years ago I chose to carry a 1911 variant and 230 grain bullets. I still do.

I train with what I carry and don't feel the need for switching among some list of EDC guns.
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northface View Post
    Hypothetical Scenario: You have been in a fight. You are down to the last bad guy and your last bullet. He's coming around the corner to finish you off. What gun and what bullet would you want?

About forty years ago I chose to carry a 1911 variant and 230 grain bullets. I still do.

I train with what I carry and don't feel the need for switching among some list of EDC guns.
    I should've brought more ammo.
    “I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you.”

Ed Koch

I need more training. I will always need more training. That being said, I feel confident in my gun's ability to operate as it should when called upon in most possible situations. Stuff happens and nothing is perfect. I like to think that I subscribe to the idea of "prepare for the worst, hope for the best".

The machines and tools I use daily instill an aspect of confidence in my belief in my ability to complete a task.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I have always had confidence in my weapon and ammo, I wish I could find more IDPA shoots. I have only shot one match but that gave me more confidence in my choices than any amount of reading or target practice.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    Hóka-héy! Crazy Horse

Distinguished Member Array Havok's Avatar
    I have confidence in all of my guns, however, I do realize that my LCP is not the same as my G19. For the times that I do pocket carry, I must acknowledge that I am giving up capabilities for convenience, but that does not mean that I am not confident in my gun.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    The only thing you can have too much of is liberals.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I have always had confidence in my weapon and ammo, I wish I could find more IDPA shoots. I have only shot one match but that gave me more confidence in my choices than any amount of reading or target practice.
    Good point. I've only ever shot one match too and it did give me more confidence, even though I mostly bombed the time in most events. I was the most accurate in most events.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

For me? Among your choices it's gotta' be a toss-up between;
    #1) Simple Ignorance
    or
    #3) Lack of Basic Skills.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Thats why i carry a Sig P239 in 9mm. Life saving confidence in that pistol, no second thoughts.

......New York reload.
    OD*, SWIll, gatorbait51 and 4 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northface View Post

How much ammo I have at the end may depend on the gun and ammo that I started with. You choose a 1911 that holds 8 rounds, but if I have a G19, i may not be in that position to begin with.
    gatorbait51, Eric357 and AzQkr like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    The only thing you can have too much of is liberals.

I am confident that I can Kill or be killed with no fear or remorse. I would be confident with a 22 Cal up to whatever, if that's all I had. I am so confident that I am confident that I am confident.
    SBD Stealth Baby (Silent But Deadly)

I have Looked and Now I Have Found

I have almost zero confidence in my handgun. It's main purpose is to break contact. Don't misread, I do know it will fire when the trigger is pulled, and it will hit where the sights are aimed, and that I'm far better at drawing and making hits than I am that deliberate target style shooting. But.. it is just a handgun, there's a reason we send men to war with rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Puros_bran View Post
    I have almost zero confidence in my handgun. It's main purpose is to break contact. Don't misread, I do know it will fire when the trigger is pulled, and it will hit where the sights are aimed, and that I'm far better at drawing and making hits than I am that deliberate target style shooting. But.. it is just a handgun, there's a reason we send men to war with rifles.
    I wish there was a way to "like" this post more than once!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links