Colt revolvers

This is a discussion on Colt revolvers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been thinking about getting a revolver to carry occasionally. I have a SP 101 that I like, but I think of it as ...

Thread: Colt revolvers

Colt revolvers

I have been thinking about getting a revolver to carry occasionally. I have a SP 101 that I like, but I think of it as more of a back up gun than a primary. I have been looking at the colt python's and king cobra's on gun broker. They look very nice, but they are also very expensive. Why do these paticular revolvers demand such a high price? And are they worth it? How much should someone expect to pay for these revolvers in about NIB condition?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    The Colt Python is a super sweet revolver. They are quite collectible. Personally I don't like the way the Colt revolvers fit my hand. If it were not for that one fact alone - I sure would own a Python.
    One of the nicest triggers ever on a wheel gun and super accurate.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Collector's items

Quote Originally Posted by bmwaddicted View Post
    I have been looking at the colt python's and king cobra's on gun broker. They look very nice, but they are also very expensive. Why do these paticular revolvers demand such a high price? And are they worth it? How much should someone expect to pay for these revolvers in about NIB condition?
    Colt Pythons and Cobras have become collector's items - especially the Python. They are out of production and have gone up in value quite a bit in the last few years. Examples in NIB condition are especially valuable, with a current range of possibly $1000 to $1200 for a Python and less for a Cobra.

I have a Python that I bought 8 years ago for $630, in roughly 98% condition. It has a beautiful blued finish that I wouldn't jeopardize by putting it in a holster. It mainly sits in the safe and gets shot at the range about once a year, with .38 ammo. If you want a good .357 carry gun, I would recommend a K frame S&W, such as the models 19, 65 or 66, which cost a fraction of what a Python costs, and shoot just as well.

Here is my Python:

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    the pythons are beautifully made, and the blue- wow. it is called colt royal blue, and on the old guns, it is wonderous. did you know the cylinders turn the "wrong" way??
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Thumbs up Python

Quote Originally Posted by bmwaddicted View Post
    I have been thinking about getting a revolver to carry occasionally. I have a SP 101 that I like, but I think of it as more of a back up gun than a primary. I have been looking at the colt python's and king cobra's on gun broker. They look very nice, but they are also very expensive. Why do these paticular revolvers demand such a high price? And are they worth it? How much should someone expect to pay for these revolvers in about NIB condition?
    The Python is no longer in production,and never will be again.It was literaly hand fitted and finished.The finish, smoothness of the action,bank vault lockup,and precision accuracy of the Python earned it the often called "Rolls Royse of Revolvers"title.Any Python today that is all original and in good condition will bring anywhere from $1K on up,depending on configuration.A very desirable collector piece.The price will only go up with time.Here is a "Python Target",chambered for .38 Special w/8" bbl.
    U.S. Army Veteran

If you are thinking about approaching the bottom end of the Python price range, you could buy a new 386 Smith & Wesson for about $916.00 if you want a 21 oz. 21/2" 357 magnum.

I absolutely love Colt revolvers. Always loved the way they fit my hand and, without a doubt, the way they shoot. The Python is a masterpiece, and if I find a good example when I have the funds, I definitely will acquire one. Also on my high priority list is a Detective Special, to replace the one I sold in a time of financial need years ago.

If you can't get a Python, consider a Trooper. My Trooper MK III is extremely accurate and has a great trigger. It's a bit big for concealed carry with the 6" barrel, but it's a weapon I know I can count on 100%. It's an excellent hunting handgun as well.

For her birthday, I recently got my young bride a Cobra, which is a very good choice for conealed carry. It's light weight with the aluminum-alloy frame, and I like that it's a six-shooter, as opposed to the S & W five.

Colt Trooper MK III, 6" barrel, lustreless nickel finish

Colt Cobra - great grips for a snubby.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I like owning and shooting Colt double action revolvers, prefering the ones made prior to 1969 that have the action with the V main spring. Pythons are very nice and will spoil you. Actually so will a plebian Colt Official Police from the era.

Love my Colt Grizzly. Too big for carry, but accurate, accurate, accurate.

For information on getting your CCW License in California please visit CalCCW.

I still have my Diamondback that I bought in 1968 and just recently bought an Agent for pocket carry. I like having 6 shots, a blue that's as nice as they come, a lock-up that feels like a weld and surprising accuracy to help me make it look like I know what I'm doing.

That all said, I still think a J feels mighty good in the hand and will never be far from hand.

My colt detective is just so nice that I dont have the heart to carry it...so I bought a beat up old S&W Model 36. The detective is a safe queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Condition Plaid View Post
    Love my Colt Grizzly. Too big for carry, but accurate, accurate, accurate.

Nice looking revolver! While I've not owned one like that yet, I've always liked the look of the unfluted cylinder.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Links