.17 HMR Revolver for wife CCW

This is a discussion on .17 HMR Revolver for wife CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that the caliber is small, but this cartridge packs a serious punch. Can you give some opinions?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .17 HMR Revolver for wife CCW

I know that the caliber is small, but this cartridge packs a serious punch.
    Can you give some opinions?

Taurus makes a hole line of .17hmr revolvers. There is not much talk about the .17hmr so you might have a hard time finding a good review.

22rssix,

I agree with the limited info. I have seem this round hit varmint out of a rifle, and i would not want to be the critter. it was very impressive. i just wonder what the speed is out of a pistol?

Senior Moderator
    From a short barrel, I don't think one can qualify the .17 as packing a "serious" punch. At best, it's on par with the .32 ACP in ME, and the .32 isn't exactly known for it's fight-stopping capability.

Is the .17 better than nothing? Of course.

But I would submit that it not a wise choice for personal defense.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

makes sense. i mean a GH weighs a few lbs, and an attacher can weigh 300 lbs.

okay. had to get that out of my system. .357 it is.

Assistant Administrator
    One other option some folks go for when keeping things smaller and lighter with revo's is .32 mag.

.357 is way better of course
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by *SA-XD4ME* View Post
    makes sense. i mean a GH weighs a few lbs, and an attacher can weigh 300 lbs.

okay. had to get that out of my system. .357 it is.
    If you go with a .357 for the wife I would stick with 38spls in it to start. A small gun with hot 357's will not be fun for someone who has never shot one before. The S&W 642/442 in 38+P has a great following. There are other options for the S&W J frame size that are make by other mfg's.

Take her out to the range/rental and let her try them out first. If you buy her a gun she does not like she will not carry it. But if you buy one that you like and she does not end up likeing you have yourself a new gun while she can pickout one she likes.

Why not just carry a squirt gun....

Seriously, there is a common sense "ballistic hurdle" to get over when selecting a personal defense round. Many say 9mm is the minimum, some .38 Special, .380, .32, etc.

I would strongly encourage her to shoot some of these rounds and come up with the best choice, be it revolver or semi.

However, please don't rely on a .17 or .22 of any configuration.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I understand that many of us have a minimum floor to CC, but I am having the same issue as the original poster. My wife wants to CC at work, but if seen will lose her job. The only security is 911 and "undesirables" come and go all day. We are looking at the NAA mini-revolvers or a derringer. Unfortunately women's dress cloths are not the best for CC, very light fabrics, small/ no pockets, and are relatively form fitting. It seems women dressing around a gun is a whole different concept then for men. The problem w/ a derringer is weight, most weigh the same as a SS J Frame. Because she is partial to revolvers, I think a small one in 32 H&R mag would be great, but no one seems to make a revolver between a J-Frame and a NAA mini.

SO... Sorry to hijack the thread,
    Is .17 better than .22lr or .22mag from a NAA mini (or small revolver)?

Is there a revolver smaller than a J-frame but larger than a mini?

I recently sold my mini in 22mag. and went back to my j frame. I've carried for over 10 yrs. That little gun really was hard to hit with, even at 10 ft. A ladysmith or taurus ultralite, work well for my wife. I don't have any experience with the kel-tec auto's but that might be another option. With the improvments in defence ammo, the smaller arms can get better results. But what do we bet our lives on?

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    whats wrong with a nice kel-tec .380 ? NAA guardian? LWS Seecamp?

whoops just saw that post about kel-tec as soon as it refreshed. ^ . Keltecs have a very nice lifetime warrenty,and have seemed to prove themself very well. I'd prove the gun reliable before carrying (break it in.) I just picked upa P3at today, I'm excited to take it out the range to see how it does.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

kel tec arms

Do you have any experience with the kel-tec plr-16 pistol. I've been unable to locate one at a gun shop or show. please don't laugh, but here in arkansas, it meets the requirements of a pistol and could be legally carried in a auto. Scarface would be happy with a little friend like that!

Member Array Gun Loving Liveral's Avatar
    If a very small gun is desired I would go with .22 magnum rather than the .17 cal. A bigger slug and much cheaper, therefore more likely to practice. I would not go with a derringer as my own opinion is the only reliable ones are expensive and only have 2 shots. It would really be nice if somebody would make a good quality, small revolver in .380 or even .32.
    In Oklahoma, even we liberals like guns!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I too would recommend the 22 mag for the size of the round. I can appreciate her challenge in concealment. I'm in dress pants, tucked shirt each day and it's hard to conceal even a J frame. I've looked at the NAA mini's and it seems they'd be very hard to handles due to the size/shape of the grip but I've never fired one. I have seen a small S&W .22 revolver but it looks like it would be just as hard to conceal as a J frame and the NAA guardians are heavy for thin dress pants. So maybe the NAA mini is it but I would encourage her to consider the kel-tec P3AT. I simply havent found anything more concealable or truly suited for pocket carry that is still relatively light weight.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of choices for someone in your wife's shoes...if you get the NAA Mini, let us know what she thinks of it after she's practiced a bit.

God Bless
    Gideon

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    Why not just carry a squirt gun....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links