which 9mm for 2017

which 9mm for 2017

This is a discussion on which 9mm for 2017 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello all, I am in the market for a new handgun or possibly two if the price tags are low enough. I'm considering the following ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: which 9mm for 2017

which 9mm for 2017

hello all, I am in the market for a new handgun or possibly two if the price tags are low enough. I'm considering the following guns for the following reasons. hoping to get a little input.
    Springfield range officer compact 9mm: this is the only gun I'm considering with any real practicality in mind. it would be for concealed carry, and as a range toy compliment to the full sized range officer 45ACP I already own. however it's the most expensive on this list.

Diamondback DP9FS: I'm really just interested to see if it's any decent. I'm not expecting a tack driver, and will likely never carry it. however the gun itself is only $300 an a 4 pack of mags is only $45 so it's extremely affordable. the ergos look pretty decent as well.

EAA Sar B6P: I can get it for around $300 like the diamondback but mags are a lot spendier and like the diamondback, it only comes with one so it would likely get old fast to have to reload after every magazine. it does get better reviews online but I take all reviews with a grain of salt.

Canik TP9SFX: believe it or not this is the one I'm most interested in. I already own, and actually carry the TP9SF, and love it, it's been very reliable, accurate and very fun to shoot. the chance to own a longslide version with lightning cuts, a lighter trigger, and 20 round mags intrigues me greatly. the only problem is that aside from listings on the century catalog and Canik websites I can not find this gun anywhere and have no idea what actual retail price is. another plus would be magazine compatibility with the SF I already own so I would have plenty of spares. this would be for range toy purposes only.

Springfield XD Mod 2 tactical: I really like the XDmod2s and the tactical has nice sights, and good ergonomics. I would prefer greater ammo capacity and a nicer trigger, but would make a good trainer and range toy regardless.

Dont touch the DB guns imop they wont handle +p ammo and they are iffy on QC imop gotten better but you not being in the USA I would not want to deal with sending it off ..I had a gen 1 that had pins walk out so..

EAA makes a decent gun ..Me in your shoes would get the metal frame model they made with you guys in mind that can swap uppers so you can use different rounds ..As I think you are limited on the number of handguns you can own

The Cannik are good the model you listed is the new ones I think normal trigger not a P99 clone ..I like the P99 clones but either way good to go

And of course the the XD is a good gun ... 19 round mags and all that ..Does have a thumb safty so bear that in mind

Frankly if you can get a gun you can swap uppers on so you can have more fun for less ..As last I looked you could only own so many guns there right some sort of points sytems or the such?
    thetwoh likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

wrong recroom, as soon as I saw your avatar I started yelling about breaking into the wrong recroom, then I saw your username, I have a feeling we have similar senses of humor. I think you might have misread my location. I am a free american, I can own as many guns as as I want...finances notwithstanding. the Canik I'm describing is part of the new roleouts that went away from the P99 clone with 12 pound triggers, I owned one of those and was not impressed at all, the newer ones are gravy and I highly recommend if you are after a low pricetag item. the XDmod2s unfortunately cap at 16 round mags, the XDMs are the ones with 19 rounds and have no magazine compatibility with the xd unfortunately.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tahunua View Post
    wrong recroom, as soon as I saw your avatar I started yelling about breaking into the wrong recroom, then I saw your username, I have a feeling we have similar senses of humor. I think you might have misread my location. I am a free american, I can own as many guns as as I want...finances notwithstanding. the Canik I'm describing is part of the new roleouts that went away from the P99 clone with 12 pound triggers, I owned one of those and was not impressed at all, the newer ones are gravy and I highly recommend if you are after a low pricetag item. the XDmod2s unfortunately cap at 16 round mags, the XDMs are the ones with 19 rounds and have no magazine compatibility with the xd unfortunately.
    Ah yes I read it as the Netherlands not the other ..Whops ..

Ah yes post makes more sense now ... I have seen the new Caniks and like them but the appel of them was the p99 system as I already have far too many of the same system of the action then new ones have ..But reviews are good on them .

And I did not no the mod 2 were at 16 ..Still not bad though ... Name is silly but the guns are good to go .. Again not my thing as they are ho hum to me as at this point I reall only buy different/odd guns

Frankly I would get the new CZ pistol out there the 10c that has a great striker trigger and I keen on that

EAA never did much to me owned some good CZ/Bretta clones but mags and holsters can be hard to get and though they seemed well built and cheep esp from CDNN and the like I just cant get into them as they really done offer much to me over what I have now .
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

This is the new 9mm I am lookin at .. Mags wont be cheep but the gun looks very nice to me
    sonnycrocket and flintlock62 like this.

that also intrigued me, but I think I'll wait for some non-paid reviews to find their way into the mix. once watched one of those where the gun failed to lock back on every mag and had several light strikes, the guy kept blaming the ammo and in the end said it was a great gun and highly recommended, not sure if it was MAC or one of the other youtube channels, but I try not to read too far into their descriptions.

Nothing I have seen or heard of so far would make me desire to stray from the G26, CZ75 platforms.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Well, JMHO's but:

Can't go wrong with a Springfield 1911!
    Run - don't walk - from the Diamondback.
    EAA's offer a lot of gun for the money. I have a Witness P .45 and a Windicator .357.
    Dunno much about the Caniks. What I've heard is mostly good.
    Don't much care for the Croatian "Springfields". My XDm .40 is not one of my favorite guns. Don't really know why.

FWIW
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Kind of hard to compare the canik or eaa to a 1911 CCO . DB9fs no way , never . Get a slingshot if that's the only choice .

Why are those your only choices as there most be 50 more than fit in with the size and weight of the eea and canik !! There sooo many great choices out there new and used .

Gave the NEW handguns to the market some months before investing . Been to many handguns that get far to much beta tested today .

Since a CZ pattern handgun is on your wish why not go with the real thing . Between the rami's and compacts yours plenty to pick from and honest prices . ranges have rentals and tend to let you shoot what they have in one caliber for one rental fee if you have time to kill . Might find a few more brand and model to pick from .
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Kind of hard to compare the canik or eaa to a 1911 CCO
    I wholeheartedly agree, but just let me reiterate that the springfield is the only one that's in the consideration that would be for concealed carry, the rest are range toys and trainers only.
    Why are those your only choices as there most be 50 more than fit in with the size and weight of the eea and canik
    a fair question. a couple years ago I set out on a quest to find good, inexpensive handguns. I've been going back to school and a lot of the kids thinking about buying their first handguns were constantly asking about what I would recommend and none of them liked the pricetags on the guns I was recommending. so I started buying up cheap handguns left and right(or as close to left and right as you can get in a town with relatively little firearms selection while going to school full time). I've tried out the arcus 98DA, Canik TP9 and now TP9SF, Ruger 9E, and now an M&P which i picked up for $350 because the store accidentally put the wrong pricetag on it and decided to honor it. the arcus and first gen canik went byebye with bad recommendations and the M&P will hopefully follow, the 9E is also being sold to fund other fun but only because I have other guns that fit a similar role. the reason I'm considering the cheap guns like the EAA and Diamondback are because they are inexpensive and what better way to give recommendations on handguns other than first hand ownership? the springfield is an odd one out in that I am considering it due to a genuine interest, rather than the desire to try out a handgun in order to develop an opinion.
    gun I already own or have owned include Ruger 22/45, SR45 and SR9C, and Springfield XDMs, XD-s, 1911, and XDs in various size and configurations. what can I say I have narrow interests. I am not a fan of glocks and even though I love them Sigs generally have too high of pricetags for my liking, although the 2022 has tempted me on occasion. other inexpensive handguns I've considered and decided they aren't worth trying are the FMK9, Taurus PT111, SCCY CPX, Hipoints, Keltecs, etc etc. the guns I listed above are either guns from manufacturers I trust, or get very good reviews. most others simply don't interest me at this time. I am done with used guns. the last used gun I bought didn't have last round lockback, only came with one mag, and has had failures to eject/doublefeeds and lightstrikes gallore. I will never buy another used gun without a test fire first.

SA XD mod2 and the Canik are my choices. I have heard great things about the Canik.

Stay away from the Diamondback. You have to modify the Magazine with springs from a Keltec PF9. They're not reliable. I had the DB9. God awful. Cracked frame at the 535 th round. I got it back from the factory and didn't hesitate it let it go.

If you want a single stack, stick with a S&W Shield or Glock 43.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA, Lifetime Member

again a little confusion here on models, I'm talking about the DB9FS which is a full sized double stack handgun that looks like the love child between a glock and a CZ75.
    also, I own an XD-s which I would happily take over any glock or M&P any day of the week and twice on sunday.

Tahunua I not concernedif a handgun comes with one or three mags as I will end up with a few more anyhow . Once a mag is proven reliable I split them into range mgs and carry mags and there cost just a small extra compared to new and reloaded ammo many of us shoot in a year . Work at deciding what you want and not worry about our opinion as most all makes and models can be found here carried and liked and disliked by folks here . Your opinion is the only one that really matters and reviews are only a google or bing or youtube away for reading .

If DB9fs is a love child just I wonder if the parents were a bit to closely related !! DB builds a fine airboat but fire arms is another thing but I guess someone has to be there beta tester as they sure don't do enough . Just decide if you want a double stack or single stack and start form there .

Have you considered the Springfield EMP or EMP4?
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

I love my Colts and 1911s. I would look at a Defender if you have never shot or handled one. One step up the Commander. Both can be had in 9 or 45. Both are shooters.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links