a simple 1911 question

This is a discussion on a simple 1911 question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What makes a 1911 a 1911? at one time I thought is had to be a Colt made 45 caliber semi-auto pistol. I now see ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a simple 1911 question

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

a simple 1911 question

What makes a 1911 a 1911? at one time I thought is had to be a Colt made 45 caliber semi-auto pistol. I now see 1911's in all sorts of calibers and made by most everybody. So what features does a pistol have to have, or cannot have, to qualify as a 1911:
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Well - OD, QK and Bud are among the 1911 afficionados here but I take any platform to be 1911 if it shares all those features of the original Gov't A1.

Call them clones if you will - whether they might have ambi safeties, extended magwells etc .... they will all follow the essence of JMB's design.

Usually .45acp tho some 9mm variants, even .38 Super ......... locked breech, single action ... thumb safety and grip safety - std capacity 7+1 for full size.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Its got to be close to the orginal design for me .. a change in sights and beavertail and mag well is cool but no LDA or any stuff like that

what oil ? , what doctor ?, what tires ?, what party ? , here these are easier questions to ask . LOL

ok i believe this question to be subjective and if it even survives being posted , here's my buck two fifty .

1911 ,colt 45 , 45 .. these were interchangeable nomenclature .
    "oh, what have you got there ? a 45 ? "
    which pretty much answers part two of your question . yes 45 calibre.

when asked i still answer as thus ;
    them:" what do you carry?"
    me:"a 45 ."
    "oh yeah what kind?"
    "springfield mil-spec"
    "oh i see "

LOL
    you still get that oh you couldn't afford a colt or don't know any better look .
    even though they asked what kind .

ok fisikul qualities:
    all 45's are five inch: if yours ain't then it's a long colt , which aint what it shoots . or its a carry piece if the barrel is shorter than five , which also pushes the misconception that you can't carry a 5".
    all 45's fire the acp 45 round: even though i think the supers are cool
    all 45's are single action : not to many models baulk at that one.
    all 45's are colt's: it's easier to make that statement but i consider any wwII made pistol a 45 , which also makes it easier for me to carry the springer .
    all 45's are single stack: otherwise it's a Hi-capacity

ok if you go into one piece guide rods and ambi safteys and bobbed tails , you'll get the purists after you . me, thats ok but the barrel without a ring is too much off of the beaten path , oh and the linkless design don't agree with them either .

LOL
    anyway JOHN MOSES got it right the first time , but i still like an arched housing . and a few of the other tricks .

hope that helps or informs or amuses ya .
    LOL
    elance

Talking 1911

To be precise:A "1911"is a Colt military contract pistol,made 1911-1927.............
    U.S. Army Veteran

its any gun that looks liek a 1911 duh

I guess you could say what makes a gun a 1911 is the same thing that makes all ARs of different manufacturers an AR-15. They are all based on the same pattern and specs. All 1911s are based on the original Colt M1911A1. Take a look at the pics in this thread, and you will notice that they all have the same frame and slide. Most of the parts are interchangeable, including the magazines.
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

member: NRA, SAF, GOA, USCCA
    GeorgiaCarry.org

OD*

The best description I have ever read

Unfortunately, "1911" has become a generic term.

There seems to be a lot of confusion for many regarding what type of pistol they have...Government Model, M1911 or M1911A1? I hope this will help.

Government Model is a pistol produced for the commercial market by Colt, regardless of whether or not it has the 1924 improvements. These pistols will have a C prefix or suffix with their serial number. The C is considered part of their serial numbers, and should be included when making reference to the serial number of these commercial pistols.

M1911 is a military model designation for military pistols shipped 1912 through 1919, and only refers to pistols produced under contract for the United States Government. Serial range is 1-629500.

M1911A1 is a military model pistol produced in either 1924, or 1937-1945. Serial range is 700001-2660318 and only refers to pistols produced under contract for the United States Government.

The military M1911 and M1911A1 pistols do NOT have a C prefix or suffix with their serial numbers. They do have an No (o is underlined) or NO. serial number prefix before the serial number.

The first M1911A1 military pistols were produced in 1924, but were originally designated the Improved Model of 1911. Then in 1926, the M1911A1 designation was approved and made retroactive to include all military pistols produced back to 1924 beginning with serial number 700,000...although the serial range actually began at 700001.

Colt's specifically picked the name Government Model for their commercial series of pistols in order to boost interest and sales by promoting the idea that it was the same basic pistol that had been accepted by the U.S. military.

There are other specific differences by year and serial range in the finishes and characteristics of commercial Government Models and military M1911 or M1911A1 pistols. Those differences may be more difficult to distinguish, but anyone can determine what type of pistol they have with this information.
    Scott Gahimer
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

OD*
    All 1911s are based on the original Colt M1911A1.
    Actually, they are based on the M1911.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Actually, they are based on the M1911.
    True, the A1 was the "improved" model.
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

GeorgiaCarry.org

GeorgiaCarry.org

Senior Moderator
    I actually have a video about this on YouTube..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQtT8DEakuc

I get this question.... A LOT.. So I made a video about it.

Nice video Lima!

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Thanks all! I thought I was the only person confused about this. Good to see I'm not alone and that there is good reason to be a bit confused. Great video it helpd me a lot.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

I think we can look at a famous court case for the best description of what makes a 1911 a 1911...it's sort of like "obscenity"

Jacobellis v. Ohio

"I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it..." -Justice Potter Stewart

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links