Sig owners' question

Sig owners' question

This is a discussion on Sig owners' question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the fever once again, and this time I'm really Jonesing for a Sig P-239 in 40 cal. The trouble is, as if this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig owners' question

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar

Sig owners' question

I have the fever once again, and this time I'm really Jonesing for a Sig P-239 in 40 cal. The trouble is, as if this gun isn't expensive enough MSLP: $747 everywhere I've looked, they are asking about $100 more. Is this your experience as well?
    Being a general cheapskate, it's difficult to pony up more than list price. Is a Sig really worth it?

Bud's Gun Shop - $721

I just checked Bud's Gun Shop, which is a reliable low price Internet seller in Kentucky, and they show the Sig P239 in .40 caliber in stock and priced at $721.

Sig P239 at Bud's Gun Shop

I think Sigs are worth some extra cost, but not several hundred more over the competition. I have a SigPro 2022 in 9mm and love it. It was worth a little over the price of a Glock, but I have since gotten a M&P9 for over $100 less then the Sig and I am enjoying it much more. It really comes down to are you willing to pay that much and is it worth it to you.

I would suggest buying used or CPO (Certidied Pre-Owned). Sig CPOs are sent back to the factory and given a run through and all small partd replaced. It become a practically new gun for around $500. Check the SigForum for both used and CPOs.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    The shop I deal with had a used one and several factory refurbished ones all priced at about $640. Certainly seemed high to me, especially since the only 239 in the group was the used one and it rattled because the slide to receiver fit was so sloppy!

I've owned 3 different SIG's, and still own 2 right now. I've never had one issue (FTF or FTE), or any other issue with any of them. Personally, I love the full size SIG's (P220, P226).

I have not purchased a gun through any online store, but I've heard very good things about Bud's, and their prices seem very reasonable and beat local gun stores, but not by very much around here.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    I have the fever once again, and this time I'm really Jonesing for a Sig P-239 in 40 cal. The trouble is, as if this gun isn't expensive enough MSLP: $747 everywhere I've looked, they are asking about $100 more. Is this your experience as well?
    Being a general cheapskate, it's difficult to pony up more than list price. Is a Sig really worth it?
    That seems really odd to me. I don't think I've ever seen a gun selling for MORE than its MSLP...........many at, but not more. Check around and I'm sure you'll find a much better deal. I know I sure wouldn't want to pay more that the list price. As for the Sigs themselves, well I have to think that they're one of the very best out there. So many federal and state agencies are willing to spend the $$ to outfit their people with them, well, I think that says something in itself. You really do get what you pay for, for the most part. At this moment in time, there is no sidearm on earth that I would trade my 229 for as a personal defense weapon. Shoots accurately, works flawlessly, digests any ammo I put through it without so much as a hiccup.........what more can I ask for? When it comes to staking your life on something, dependability is everything, IMO.

Senior Moderator
    Its all about supply and demand.

If they are hard to get right now, they'll be higher in price.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I saw two this past weekend at a gunshow in Richmond, Va...they were both around $700! I noticed because my wife saw them & she carries one.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Lead Moderator
    While I'd say shop around, here in Maryland with some of the restrictions, I usually end up paying MSRP. My SIGs have been worth every penny!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I've also been looking for a P239/.40--go to gunbroker.com...you'll find CPO pistols for $500-$600---good deals there.

...I just need my finance committee to agree to another gun purchase.

Did the one you looked at have night sights vs. no night sights on the price you quoted?
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    FWIW, my P239 in .40 is a dandy gun. I think I gave $430 for it used but in 95%+ condition (no visible wear on exterior of gun, bluing wear on barrel).
    Shot-placement is king. Adequate penetration is queen. Everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins.

I've never enjoyed shooting any handgun more than my P229 SAS. My two cents. It was worth every bloodsucked penny.

I kind of liken it to the BMW GS motorcycle I've got my eye on

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=r1200gsa

It is a ridiculously priced dual-purpose fun machine, but sometimes, having the refinement is truly what makes a ridiculous price tag justifiable.

Can someone call my wife and tell her I'll be somewhere between here and Canada?...I need to make that much space between us before she sees the Mastercard bill...

Last edited by Scot Van; August 16th, 2007 at 02:45 PM.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

I might be willing to let mine go with 5 mags, night sights, and ctac.
    About 400 rounds through it.

I really want a para LDA. Just not sure I want to give up the reliability of the Sig for something unknown.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

I own several Sigs and never paid more than $465 for one. All of them were USED.

I have rarely purchased NEW firearms because I just sit around an wait for the deals. Know what to look for and keep your eyes out for all of the guys getting divorced or married, they usually offer the best deals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links