Question for HK guys - Page 2

Question for HK guys

This is a discussion on Question for HK guys within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rocky Both a fine guns , with the VP 9 being a newer , more refine pistol IMO. Having owned a USP ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Question for HK guys

Senior Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Both a fine guns , with the VP 9 being a newer , more refine pistol IMO. Having owned a USP since 93 , I really still enjoy shooting it, however the VP9 seems a bit smaller, more grip options and overall better ergos.
    yep, nothing fit my hands better than a VP a place that was reserved for the 1911s before, I don't carry my VP-9 but it makes me look good at the range because of it's accuracy
    Chuck R. likes this.
    I know Jesus and I talk to God.

Actually I am getting rid of my plastic striker fired pistols and replacing them with metal frame hammer fired pistols. I feel that hammer down on a chambered round is safer then a cocked striker fire for CC. Just my opinion.
    ca survivor and hkusp9f like this.

Distinguished Member Array Chuck R.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by casurvivor View Post
    yep, nothing fit my hands better than a VP a place that was reserved for the 1911s before, I don't carry my VP-9 but it makes me look good at the range because of it's accuracy
    Try a P30. I own both and can't explain it (actually I can, the frames are slightly different) I really like my P30L better than my VP9 even with the same size panels installed. There's just something about it that feels "right" or at least "righter" than my VP9 and they're very close to the same size.

Chuck
    ca survivor and Militant like this.
    homo homini lupus est

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I carry a P2K9 for edc and have for 8 years. I have 4 other H K's and really love the new VP9. However I also carry a Glock 17 with RMR and a Smith CORE with RMR. Sometimes it's tough to have a fairly large gun collection.

Senior Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    Try a P30. I own both and can't explain it (actually I can, the frames are slightly different) I really like my P30L better than my VP9 even with the same size panels installed. There's just something about it that feels "right" or at least "righter" than my VP9 and they're very close to the same size.

Chuck
    Thanks, I eventually will get a P-30 the only one I have seen is the SK, P-30s don't stay in the gun shop shelf too long around here.
    I know Jesus and I talk to God.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Wathers View Post
    Actually I am getting rid of my plastic striker fired pistols and replacing them with metal frame hammer fired pistols. I feel that hammer down on a chambered round is safer then a cocked striker fire for CC. Just my opinion.
    You may want to look into either a USP for a P30 with the LEM trigger. Mechanically it can be thought of as a "cross" between a striker and a DA. The motion of the slide does partially precock the mechanism so that the trigger pull is fairly light but also pretty long. It's really hard to describe if you don't have one in hand. If for some reason you dropped that hammer and it didn't ignite the primer you can pull the trigger again and it will raise the hammer and fire the gun in pure DA mode. The beautiful thing about LEM is that it's still hammer fired; if you keep your thumb on the trigger as you holster you can prevent the hammer from moving (so the gun can't fire). I'm a bit more comfortable holstering an LEM gun vs a striker.

As for the guns the USP is an older design so it doesn't have some of the features that we take for granted in newer guns. For example there is no provision to change the grip panels or back straps as you can with a VP9, P30 or other similar gun. It also lacks a 1913 rail, having an older proprietary rail adopted before the Pic became standard. Mechanically the USP is one of the most durable, overbuilt sidearms you can find. It will digest a steady diet of the hottest stuff you can find. Federal uses a USP to test .45 ACP loads and reportedly has around 400,000 rounds through a singe gun! Inside the USP uses an unusual dual recoil spring setup, with one captive inside the other. This makes the USP one of the softest shooting guns for caliber that you can find and is one of the reasons the frame lasts so long.

I've got a P2000, P30S, VP9 and a USP. The USP is large and somewhat blocky so it doesn't get carried much anymore but I can't imagine ever being without at least one.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member Array Chuck R.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    You may want to look into either a USP for a P30 with the LEM trigger. Mechanically it can be thought of as a "cross" between a striker and a DA. The motion of the slide does partially precock the mechanism so that the trigger pull is fairly light but also pretty long. It's really hard to describe if you don't have one in hand. If for some reason you dropped that hammer and it didn't ignite the primer you can pull the trigger again and it will raise the hammer and fire the gun in pure DA mode. The beautiful thing about LEM is that it's still hammer fired; if you keep your thumb on the hammer as you holster you can prevent the hammer from moving (so the gun can't fire). I'm a bit more comfortable holstering an LEM gun vs a striker.

As for the guns the USP is an older design so it doesn't have some of the features that we take for granted in newer guns. For example there is no provision to change the grip panels or back straps as you can with a VP9, P30 or other similar gun. It also lacks a 1913 rail, having an older proprietary rail adopted before the Pic became standard. Mechanically the USP is one of the most durable, overbuilt sidearms you can find. It will digest a steady diet of the hottest stuff you can find. Federal uses a USP to test .45 ACP loads and reportedly has around 400,000 rounds through a singe gun! Inside the USP uses an unusual dual recoil spring setup, with one captive inside the other. This makes the USP one of the softest shooting guns for caliber that you can find and is one of the reasons the frame lasts so long.

I've got a P2000, P30S, VP9 and a USP. The USP is large and somewhat blocky so it doesn't get carried much anymore but I can't imagine ever being without at least one.
    Fixed it........

Chuck
    Cuda66 and SnoMan97 like this.
    homo homini lupus est

VIP Member
    Ooops, yeah meant hammer.
    SnoMan97 and Chuck R. like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I've had a USP 9mm Full Sized Var.1 since 1994 and I mostly cc a Springfield Ultra Compact .45 or a HK P7 PSP....I've carried everything from the M9 to Glock 17's and Sig P226/228's for work...however.. I can't stand the LEM...I've tried friends pistols with the LEM and would rather pound my privates with a brick than have a pistol with the LEM....to each there own I guess.
    Cuda66 and Militant like this.

LOVE my VP9. Still want a P30...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Question for HK guys

If you are wanting a hammered fired gun to replace your striker fired, you can't go wrong imho.

The USPc with LEM is the best of both worlds and not much different in size to the highly praised G19. You get a consistent trigger pull on a hammered fired gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Chuck R. and Militant like this.

Distinguished Member Array wsquared's Avatar
    +1 on the USPc being the "Goldilocks" size for carry. Other pistols that fit this size are the Glock 19 (mentioned it first so the fanbois could calm down), HK45c, and H&K P2000. Perhaps not coincidentally I own one of each of those. The P2000 and G19 are the ones I carry most because they accept a Surefire XC1 light better than the others.

The only other pistol that I have found which doesn't feel at all "small" in my hand which is equally comfortable an concealable is a bobtailed commander sized 1911. Mine is a steel frame, which definitely adds some weight - but the difference in width between the double stacks and a single stack is definitely noticeable. When carrying it I do make the concession of having two spare magazines instead of just one.

Just to add to what the others have said; the VP9 is "fully ambidextrous" with both the slide lock/release and magazine release being on both sides of the pistol. This makes it a great option for we lefties. The USP's only have the slide lock/release on the left side of the pistol.
    HK P30, HK VP9 HK 45c,
    HK P30sk HK USP9c HK USP45c
    HK USP45c Stainless HK USP40c Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by hkusp9f View Post
    I've had a USP 9mm Full Sized Var.1 since 1994 and I mostly cc a Springfield Ultra Compact .45 or a HK P7 PSP....I've carried everything from the M9 to Glock 17's and Sig P226/228's for work...however.. I can't stand the LEM...I've tried friends pistols with the LEM and would rather pound my privates with a brick than have a pistol with the LEM....to each there own I guess.
    I can't stand it either!
    hkusp9f likes this.
    HK P30, HK VP9 HK 45c,
    HK P30sk HK USP9c HK USP45c
    HK USP45c Stainless HK USP40c Stainless

Senior Member Array 2ndunamended's Avatar
    I bought the P30 for this reason. However, the P30 doesn't get rid of polymer- so you maintain the same weight advantage of a "plastic" striker fire but with the safety of the decocker.
    With his pistol drawn, decisive judgement could be reached and reached quickly.

NRA Life Member
    Gun Owners of America Member
    NRA certified Range Safety Officer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links