Question for HK guys

Question for HK guys

This is a discussion on Question for HK guys within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am not familiar with HK pistols and have been looking at the USP 9c. What is the difference between the VP and USP lines?...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Question for HK guys

  1. #1
    Member Array 4Wathers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    32

    Question for HK guys

    I am not familiar with HK pistols and have been looking at the USP 9c. What is the difference between the VP and USP lines?

  2. #2
    Member Array danpoplawski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Burlington VT
    Posts
    31
    The VP9 line is striker fired, the USP line is hammer fired.
    SOS24 and 2ndunamended like this.
    Sarsilmaz K2P 9mm
    Taurus PT111 g2 9mm
    Sig Sauer P250 9mm full size
    Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm
    Ruger LCP 380
    Walther P22

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    3,218
    First off, the USP is hammer fired. There are 9 different variants. They can be had with or without a manual safety.
    Question for HK guys-uspvariants-1-.jpg

    The VP's are polymer framed, striker fired, have interchangeable side panels and back straps to better fit the gun to your individual hand size/shape. The trigger pull and reset is also better refined.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=hick...hrome&ie=UTF-8

    Last edited by flintlock62; January 15th, 2017 at 09:28 AM. Reason: corrected erroneous information
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    NRA Lifetime member

    "A government big enough to give you everything you
    want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Distinguished Member Array Chuck R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NE, KS
    Posts
    1,910
    A better comparison might be the VP line and the P30 line since they both share the same magazines and have interchangeable backstraps and side plates, but danpoplawski pretty much summed it up.

    The hammer fired guns; USPs, P30s, P2000s and their SK (sub compact) versions also can be configured in multiple triggers ranging from SA cocked and locked (not the P2000) to LEM whereas the VP is striker fired and that's it's only trigger configuration. The two most popular triggers seem to be the DA/SA (V1 or V3 depending on model) or the LEM which is a DAO trigger, only pre-cocked and truly unique.

    I've got a VP9, but really prefer my P30L with light LEM and my all time HK favorite is the P2000 with light LEM, which is my current carry pistol.

    Chuck
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

  6. #5
    Distinguished Member Array Chuck R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NE, KS
    Posts
    1,910
    Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    First off, the USP is SA/DA and is hammer fired. There are 9 different variants. They have metal frames, so they are heavier and can be had with or without a manual safety.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uspvariants (1).jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	169226

    The VP's are polymer framed, striker fired, have interchangeable side panels and back straps to better fit the gun to your individual hand size/shape. The trigger pull and reset is also better refined.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=hick...hrome&ie=UTF-8

    USPs are Polymer also.......

    Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

  7. #6
    Distinguished Member Array wsquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,339
    Full disclosure - I own a USP9c, an HK45C, a P30L, and a P2000. I really like the HK hammer fired pistols. I do not own a striker fired HK pistol. I do own a mittfull of Glock and Smith striker-fire polymer wonders.

    The USP is the grand-daddy of all of HK's hammer-fired pistols - P2000 (and SK), P30 (and SK), HK45 (and compact). The first pistol that I ever owned with the intention of carrying it is a USP9c. I found that HK's hammer fired pistols are just a tiny bit better (purely subjective) than most other pistols in a bunch of different ways. In some ways they are the Mercedes of pistols....they cost more and they are a little different, but if they work well for you the extra money is worth it.

    For specific differences (and I'll talk just about 9mm for simplicity here), the USPc has a magazine capacity of 13 - but it can accept the VP9 15 round magazines if you don't mind it sticking out. The USPc is a bit smaller, and I find that it conceals very well. The USPc rail is non-standard and is rather limited in the lights that it can accept, whereas the VP9 will accept almost any light. The USPc is available in a variety of trigger configurations (DA/SA, SA with external manual safety, DAO - which they call LEM), whereas the VP9 is only DAO/striker fired. Of all the trigger configurations, my favorite is the light LEM...but I do not have any real trigger time on a VP9, so I cannot offer a real comparison.

    The VP9 (and VP40) is a recent product from HK, and generally seems to be a bit of a departure...they seem to have aimed at a lower price point than they have with most of their previous offerings.

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    3,218
    Oops, my bad, you're right, they are polymer.
    NRA Lifetime member

    "A government big enough to give you everything you
    want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

  9. #8
    Distinguished Member Array wsquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    I've got a VP9, but really prefer my P30L with light LEM and my all time HK favorite is the P2000 with light LEM, which is my current carry pistol.

    Chuck
    Very similar to me. My favorite full-sized pistol is my P30L, but I run it single action with a manual safety. The HK that I carry most often is my P2000 light LEM, with a Surefire XC1 on it.
    Chuck R. and BigHairyGobbler like this.

  10. #9
    Distinguished Member Array Chuck R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NE, KS
    Posts
    1,910
    Quote Originally Posted by wsquared View Post
    Very similar to me. My favorite full-sized pistol is my P30L, but I run it single action with a manual safety. The HK that I carry most often is my P2000 light LEM, with a Surefire XC1 on it.
    For some reason HK safeties and I don't agree. I keep trying to ride it like a 1911 safety and it screws up my grip and pushes my palm off the gun. So all of mine have been converted to LEMs. I really think the LEM should be more popular as a defensive trigger.....there's just not enough shooters that have tried one, or even heard of it for that matter. Same with the P2k, the hK that get's no respect......

    Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

  11. #10
    Senior Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    1,106
    in my opinion, the USPs are one of the finest weapon in the HK line.
    multistage and rocky like this.
    I know Jesus and I talk to God.

  12. #11
    Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bowling Green, VA
    Posts
    1,621
    Other than the striker Vs. hammer set up, the biggest difference may be the tactile, ergonomic feel of the grip. The two are not alike.

  13. #12
    Member Array 4Wathers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    32
    Thanks for all the info, learned a lot.

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array Cuda66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    minnesota
    Posts
    2,548
    Quote Originally Posted by wsquared View Post
    Full disclosure - I own a USP9c, an HK45C, a P30L, and a P2000. I really like the HK hammer fired pistols. I do not own a striker fired HK pistol. I do own a mittfull of Glock and Smith striker-fire polymer wonders.

    The USP is the grand-daddy of all of HK's hammer-fired pistols - P2000 (and SK), P30 (and SK), HK45 (and compact). The first pistol that I ever owned with the intention of carrying it is a USP9c. I found that HK's hammer fired pistols are just a tiny bit better (purely subjective) than most other pistols in a bunch of different ways. In some ways they are the Mercedes of pistols....they cost more and they are a little different, but if they work well for you the extra money is worth it.

    For specific differences (and I'll talk just about 9mm for simplicity here), the USPc has a magazine capacity of 13 - but it can accept the VP9 15 round magazines if you don't mind it sticking out. The USPc is a bit smaller, and I find that it conceals very well. The USPc rail is non-standard and is rather limited in the lights that it can accept, whereas the VP9 will accept almost any light. The USPc is available in a variety of trigger configurations (DA/SA, SA with external manual safety, DAO - which they call LEM), whereas the VP9 is only DAO/striker fired. Of all the trigger configurations, my favorite is the light LEM...but I do not have any real trigger time on a VP9, so I cannot offer a real comparison.

    The VP9 (and VP40) is a recent product from HK, and generally seems to be a bit of a departure...they seem to have aimed at a lower price point than they have with most of their previous offerings.
    Actually, the HK4 would be the grand-daddy of HK's hammer fired pistols...with the P9 being in there as well. ;)
    rcsoftexas and hkusp9f like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

    ...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper


    There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

  15. #14
    VIP Member Array multistage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NW Iowa
    Posts
    3,089
    How much do you want to ante up?

    The VP line is pretty damn good. Striker gun, incredible ergos, excellent trigger, accurate (as all HKs are) and economical. Mine is a FDE LE version. The LE version comes with three magazines and factory (Meprolight) night sights. A favorite internet dealer sells these for $660.00. Or you can get the standard VP9 with two magazines and standard (luminescent) sights for about $575.00.

    The USP line is, to me, as good as DA hammer guns get. I have a USP 9, a USP 45c, and Saturday I picked up a USP 9c. A DA hammer gun will take a bit of work to get dialed in, especially if you are used to a striker gun. But well worth the effort.

    I've had several P2000s and a P30. If the P30 had the USP trigger and a single side slide drop, I'd have kept it. I find that the USP series has the best DA trigger by far. I also like the aggressive grip texture of the USP. In short, the USP is my preference.

    Until I have to pay for it.

    The USP 9c that I picked up the other day has a V1 trigger system (SA/DA, safety, decocker). Like all my HKs, it is the LE version, three magazines and night sights. And it cost me about $910.00. As did my full size USP 9. And my my USP 45c.

    They claim that the USP series is a bit outdated. I dunno. A fine 1911 and a Smith 15 are as well by those standards. I like them all.
    rocky likes this.

  16. #15
    Lead Moderator
    Array rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    18,226
    Both a fine guns , with the VP 9 being a newer , more refine pistol IMO. Having owned a USP since 93 , I really still enjoy shooting it, however the VP9 seems a bit smaller, more grip options and overall better ergos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question for HK guys-image.jpg  

    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson


    Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •