Looking for a good hi-cap 45 (NOT a GLOCK)

This is a discussion on Looking for a good hi-cap 45 (NOT a GLOCK) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; have you considered the Springfield XD in .45 GAP Am I missing something? New recruits in our MATC classes to become police officers have the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good hi-cap 45 (NOT a GLOCK)

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    have you considered the Springfield XD in .45 GAP
    Am I missing something? New recruits in our MATC classes to become police officers have the XD listed as one of the automatics they can select, and carry, for duty.

I work with one of their students at the sporting goods store, and the XD in 9x19 is the pistol he selected.

Is your concern the pistol itself as the shooting platform, or the .45 GAP as the round that it fires? Or is it the combinationof the two?

2. Remove Ads

The XD is an outstanding pistol... the .45 GAP, in such a gun would be, or at least has a great potential to be, a very good combination.

But I don't think Id want to be an early adopter of this combo. I certainly wouldn't think about it in a Glock either.

If you are looking for a 1911 type with a higher capacity... the Wilson Combat KZ-45 is a great handgun all around.

Another option is the new Beretta Storm pistol coming out... lots of potential there. The gun uses the same rotory action like the Cougar uses. The Cougar .45 that I tested and still own is a flawless weapon in terms of accuracy and reliability with factory loaded ammo. So there is a very good likelyhood that when the Storm hits in .45 it will be one of the best pistols on the market.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    No problem at all with the XD, and I for one am hoping the GAP takes off, but I figured the suggestion of the GAP is what would get me the virtual backhand.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

I for one am hoping the GAP takes off
    I don't think that's a concern anymore. More than one cartridge company loads them, and more than just Glock makes the handguns that shoot the stuff. Like the SW .40, I think it solves a very real problem. With the +P loads, I don't believe you're giving up any performance.

As for reliability, a shorter cartridge is better for slide timing.

I'm waiting for the shop in my little burg to carry the smaller Kimber GAPs.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I didn't know that Kimber was going to offer GAP models. I have been wanting an XD. Maybe I should go with the XD GAP.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Good thoughts, thanks. The Smith 99 is a hybrid with Walther and has none of the ergonomics of a regular Smith semiauto. Those I can't stand.
    Yes indeed the SW99 Series is the Walther offshoot.. I have handled one at Kittery teading post on a couple of ocassions.they ARE nice!! Lots os possibilites with that SW99 series..

Is the smith 45 a high cap? I thought it was only nine plus one?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Keeney
    Is the smith 45 a high cap? I thought it was only nine plus one?
    I THINK it's the minimum in my range at 10+1.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Cool No G.A.P. for ME!

Quote Originally Posted by George Hill
    But I don't think Id want to be an early adopter of this combo. I certainly wouldn't think about it in a Glock either.
    I've got to say, I hate the thought of the GAP. It's sorta the answer to the unasked question. I'll stick with the tradition and history of the 45 ACP. I also don't like the idea of having my 45 ammo accidentally mixing!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    The Para 14 in 5" might be your better choice...also the Kimber Pro 10 poly series....I personally love the H&K USP Compact in either 40 or 45...GREAT syetem...huge cost though..(I have a USP 40 Compact Stainless slide, and it's a superb weapon platform)
    The Para LDA's are nice to....
    I'm thinking of a ParaOrdnance TAC-4 (SpecOps model) with a 13 + 1 capacity or possibly an H&K USP std in 45ACP which has a 12 +1 capacity. The H&K would cost me about what a Sig P220 would set me back. The H&K also has an accessories rail which is another huge plus. I don't think any of the PO line has a light rail.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    I'm thinking of a ParaOrdnance TAC-4 (SpecOps model) with a 13 + 1 capacity or possibly an H&K USP std in 45ACP which has a 12 +1 capacity. The H&K would cost me about what a Sig P220 would set me back. The H&K also has an accessories rail which is another huge plus. I don't think any of the PO line has a light rail.
    I think the Kimber Pro Carry Ten II Poly has the sight rail...13 +1 hi caps. The SW99 is a 9+1 cap mag...doesn't look like the Para's have the sight rails..

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    I think the Kimber Pro Carry Ten II Poly has the sight rail...13 +1 hi caps. The SW99 is a 9+1 cap mag...doesn't look like the Para's have the sight rails..
    Tghe problem with the Kimber is that it's not DA first shot. The Para Tac-4 and the H&K are. I have two excellent 1911's already. And a Browning Hi-Power. But I no longer carry them. I'm also still looking at the CZ 97B.

Well I know you stated you would like a DA first shot, but if you would consider a SA I have to put in the the Para Warthog. It is 10+1 with a 3" barrel. I have now put about a thousand rounds through this gun and it is wonderful. The only mods I have done to this gun was to disable the grip safety, but this is for personal reasons, as I don't need it. I have done this with my P-14 as well.

Speaking of the P-14, this is also a great gun with a 14+1 capability. If SA is out of the picture then look at Para's LDA line. I almost bought one of these when I was looking at the P-14. As a matter of fact it was the P-14 LDA that I debated about, but for my first 1911A1 style pistol I wanted a SA. I would not hesitate to purchase the LDA though, wonderful weapons platform.
    --------------------------
    Rantings of a Right Wing Nutjob
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VCDL Member
    USCCA Member

H&K USPc 9mm
    Para P-14 .45
    Para Warthog .45
    Bulgarian Makarov 9x18Mak
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Walther P-22 3.4"
    Ruger 10/22 .22
    Smith and Wesson 642 .38 +P

Quote Originally Posted by dhomoney
    Well I know you stated you would like a DA first shot, but if you would consider a SA I have to put in the the Para Warthog. It is 10+1 with a 3" barrel. I have now put about a thousand rounds through this gun and it is wonderful. The only mods I have done to this gun was to disable the grip safety, but this is for personal reasons, as I don't need it. I have done this with my P-14 as well.

Speaking of the P-14, this is also a great gun with a 14+1 capability. If SA is out of the picture then look at Para's LDA line. I almost bought one of these when I was looking at the P-14. As a matter of fact it was the P-14 LDA that I debated about, but for my first 1911A1 style pistol I wanted a SA. I would not hesitate to purchase the LDA though, wonderful weapons platform.
    I will never again own a sub 4 inch 1911, and I especially will never again own a P10! I had one and it was JAM-A-MATIC from day one. It also felt just like a 2x4 in my rather smallish hand.

I know, there are tons of folks on this board and everywhere else that has never had a problem with the micro-45's but enough people I know HAVE had those probs and for that reason I'm convinced that the micro 1911's are inherently flawed in the basic design. But the TAC-4 is a 4.25 inch Commander sized gun with a 13+1 capacity. I like that. It's also LDA.

the GAP...It's sorta the answer to the unasked question
    I disagree.

For example, the 10mm Auto is a fantastic cartridge, one of my favorites. Early firearms needed their recoil assemblies to be redesigned, and the original 200 grain Norma round was hotter than Ciara's dance shoes, but things evolved.

It can be an auto cartridge, it can be a revolver cartridge, it can kill a pretty good sized bear. It kicks, and the guns that best launch it are pretty big for smaller sized hands.

Much of the same can be said four the .45 ACP. While most +average size men find it very ergonomic, it's heavy for a lot of smaller guys and women. And that demographic is now in law enforcement and in the armed forces.

If the GAP can duplicate the .45 ACP and do so in guns suitable for people of lesser stature, it's a great advance for the calibre. You are no longer forced to accept the 9x19 if your first choice of "gun is too big."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links