Defensive Carry banner

Looking for a good hi-cap 45 (NOT a GLOCK)

5K views 55 replies 15 participants last post by  Bud White 
#1 · (Edited)
I have my M27 Glock and I love it because it fits my hand perfectly. The Glock M30, M21 and M36 do NOT.

A 1911 DA meaning a ParaOrd is a possibility but only in a 4" or bigger barrel. I'm thinking MAYBE of a TAC-4. Feels just great. However, I'm a bit concerned about the gun being a bit fragile especially in the spring department. I won't be competing with the gun (well not a lot), just for use on trips and as a general carry piece.

I'm also thinking of maybe a CZ 45 or the EAA clone. Does anybody have experience with these? I'm basically looking for a 10-13 rd mag capacity. The Tac-4 meets this. Dunno about the EAA. Also looking for a DA type action on the first shot. The TAC-4 is an LDA which I guess is a DAO, but lighter.

I'm ALSO thinking MAYBE of a S&W M99 in 45ACP. This is the joint effort between S&W and Walther. It seems to have at least a 10rd capacity and is DA. The light rail might be a plus as is it seems to me the ability to change out the mainspring housing configuration, so as to accomodate smaller hands like mine. Anybody have any experience with THESE?

#27 ·
CLASS3NH said:
I think the Kimber Pro Carry Ten II Poly has the sight rail...13 +1 hi caps. The SW99 is a 9+1 cap mag...doesn't look like the Para's have the sight rails.. :frown:
Tghe problem with the Kimber is that it's not DA first shot. The Para Tac-4 and the H&K are. I have two excellent 1911's already. And a Browning Hi-Power. But I no longer carry them. I'm also still looking at the CZ 97B.

#28 ·
Well I know you stated you would like a DA first shot, but if you would consider a SA I have to put in the the Para Warthog. It is 10+1 with a 3" barrel. I have now put about a thousand rounds through this gun and it is wonderful. The only mods I have done to this gun was to disable the grip safety, but this is for personal reasons, as I don't need it. I have done this with my P-14 as well.

Speaking of the P-14, this is also a great gun with a 14+1 capability. If SA is out of the picture then look at Para's LDA line. I almost bought one of these when I was looking at the P-14. As a matter of fact it was the P-14 LDA that I debated about, but for my first 1911A1 style pistol I wanted a SA. I would not hesitate to purchase the LDA though, wonderful weapons platform.

#29 ·
dhomoney said:
Well I know you stated you would like a DA first shot, but if you would consider a SA I have to put in the the Para Warthog. It is 10+1 with a 3" barrel. I have now put about a thousand rounds through this gun and it is wonderful. The only mods I have done to this gun was to disable the grip safety, but this is for personal reasons, as I don't need it. I have done this with my P-14 as well.

Speaking of the P-14, this is also a great gun with a 14+1 capability. If SA is out of the picture then look at Para's LDA line. I almost bought one of these when I was looking at the P-14. As a matter of fact it was the P-14 LDA that I debated about, but for my first 1911A1 style pistol I wanted a SA. I would not hesitate to purchase the LDA though, wonderful weapons platform.
I will never again own a sub 4 inch 1911, and I especially will never again own a P10! I had one and it was JAM-A-MATIC from day one. It also felt just like a 2x4 in my rather smallish hand.

I know, there are tons of folks on this board and everywhere else that has never had a problem with the micro-45's but enough people I know HAVE had those probs and for that reason I'm convinced that the micro 1911's are inherently flawed in the basic design. But the TAC-4 is a 4.25 inch Commander sized gun with a 13+1 capacity. I like that. It's also LDA.

#30 ·
the GAP...It's sorta the answer to the unasked question
I disagree.

For example, the 10mm Auto is a fantastic cartridge, one of my favorites. Early firearms needed their recoil assemblies to be redesigned, and the original 200 grain Norma round was hotter than Ciara's dance shoes, but things evolved.

It can be an auto cartridge, it can be a revolver cartridge, it can kill a pretty good sized bear. It kicks, and the guns that best launch it are pretty big for smaller sized hands.

Much of the same can be said four the .45 ACP. While most +average size men find it very ergonomic, it's heavy for a lot of smaller guys and women. And that demographic is now in law enforcement and in the armed forces.

If the GAP can duplicate the .45 ACP and do so in guns suitable for people of lesser stature, it's a great advance for the calibre. You are no longer forced to accept the 9x19 if your first choice of "gun is too big."

#32 ·
the GAP...It's sorta the answer to the unasked question

I agree with this statment for me anyways but i could see where the Mrs could enjoy the Gap in a 1911 she loves 1911 pattern even though she doesnt complain much about grip size but i can see the smaller 1911 would be good for her

#33 ·
The EAA CZ clone is called the Witness, and I have had the full size steel model. I sold it when I got the 1911 bug, but wish I hadn't. Very nice shooting accurate gun, and very reliable. If you get the .45 you can later order new barrel/slide combos for just about any other caliber, not so if you start out with a smaller frame like 9mm. They have multiple barrel/slide lengths to choose from and a polymer version. The gun is a very good value for the price, and there are lots of upgrades to make it into whatever you want it to be.

Mine held 10+1, but it was bought during the ban. There are high/standard caps available, but I don't know how many they hold. It is a double stack mag.

I have heard that EAA customer service is not stellar, but I never had cause to use it.

#34 ·
HK USP45f. I have had a few other 1911 style 45s and this one I like best.12+1 ,suppressable, various aftermarket barrell options and out of the box accurate.I don't know of other pistols you can drop an empty mag out and slam a new one in and it will rack the slide by full mag force.its known to do that and a + I think.the price is not bad,you get what you pay for.

#35 ·
USP45 said:
HK USP45f. I have had a few other 1911 style 45s and this one I like best.12+1 ,suppressable, various aftermarket barrell options and out of the box accurate.I don't know of other pistols you can drop an empty mag out and slam a new one in and it will rack the slide by full mag force.its known to do that and a + I think.the price is not bad,you get what you pay for.
The Hk is known to do this but its not designed to ... My one 1911 will do this as well i know it needs a slide stop though ..

#36 · (Edited)
It was designed to do that and most people did not like it so it was changed to be less likely to do it.I cannot consistently do it but I just threw that in as an added feature because there has been only a few times I could not replicate that function,I think I will practice this.but all that aside the only downside to the HK USP I ever hear is price.for the money its well worth it.Bruce Grey used it for a long time before switching to sig 226 in competition.better info @ hkpro.com

#37 ·
H&K USP 45

USP45 said:
My single serious complaint about the H&K's is the really GRITTY trigger action. I dry fired one at a gun show and it felt as if sand had been poured into the mechanism. Anybody have any experience with this? I also think the grips are too abrasive to be comfortable and concealable. Hate to have my cover garment get snagged on the grip and lead to an embarrassing "flash" incident.

#38 ·
No gritty trigger on mine well i take that back after i flushed the frame and reoiled everything no gritty trigger...

I use a hogue handall on mine becuse of big hands but am going to take it off for thinner grip for carry i never had a problem with snaggin b4 or after the hogue handall seems the hogue would grab more with its kind of sticky feeling...

#41 ·
Gee, I'm glad I read this column, if only for my education. I didn't know anybody made an autoloader besides the 1911 Colt .45 ACP. Did you, Bob? Ive just been buying the same ol' thing, over, and over, and over. Gov't models, Gold Cups, and Officers Model. Don't know about them other new-fangled doo dads. I hear some are made of Tupperware. Zat true?

#42 ·
Hmmmmm ParaOrdnance is Looking Better and Better...

CLASS3NH said:
The Para 14 in 5" might be your better choice...
I actually got this morning a rather long letter from the folks at ParaOrdnance on my "issues" and they gave me a link to the PO LDA that is 14+1 and has the accessories rail, so I can hang a SureFire X200 for the home mode...I can't remember the name of the model, but it looks really good. If I'm going back to a full size 15rds to start with sounds mighty impressive. I'm liking this idea a whole lot more. If I do this and I REALLY like it, I might also pick up a TAC-4 (SpecOps model) for the wife. Well, she'll be my EXCUSE anyway.

My other complaint with the H&K USP models besides the gritty trigger is a really ABRASIVE finish that is not only uncomfortable, but downright annoying to deal with.

#43 ·
Probably the PXD LDA Models.the Covert Black, the Colonel, the Covert Black Ops.......all with 14+1 cap....they also make the 16 and 18 shot models as well..<not sure if they have the rail or not tho>
Yes, the USPs take a little patience to get accustomed to as well........ :biggrin: Glad to see we're all giving you good input :biggrin:

#44 ·
CLASS3NH said:
Probably the PXD LDA Models.the Covert Black, the Colonel, the Covert Black Ops.......all with 14+1 cap....they also make the 16 and 18 shot models as well..<not sure if they have the rail or not tho>
Yes, the USPs take a little patience to get accustomed to as well........ :biggrin: Glad to see we're all giving you good input :biggrin:
This is the link: http://www.paraord.com/product/product.html?id=49

#46 ·
The triggers on the LDA models I have handled have been SWEET!! I have read of some durability issues on the forums, but a deputy I know bought one for duty carry. The holster he ordered turned out to fit only the bobbed hammer. He called PO and told them that he had bought the pistol used and wanted to know if it would harm the pistol to carry it with the thumbstrap between the hammer and frame as if it were C&L. The PO guy told him it could lead to spring fatigue since it was not designed to be carried that way.

Then the PO guy offered to send a bobbed hammer free of charge. My friend reminded him that the pistol was used. It didn't matter. They wanted to have a happy PO owner. That says something about their customer service.

#47 ·
Lda?

CombatEffective said:
The triggers on the LDA models I have handled have been SWEET!!
How far does the trigger have to travel on the return to "reset" or being DAO does it have to rebound all the way? And in doing so do you have to take your finger off the trigger all the way to allow it to reset? ALSO, Please outline for me, if you will just HOW the LDA works? I mean I THINK you have to rack the slide so that tension results. Then you set the safety for carry, right? The smooth trigger results come from an already compressed spring, correct?

#49 ·
Field Strip the LDA?

Bud White said:
Ive heard the only bad thing so far on lda's is taking them apart
AH! Good point. Anybody have any experience with this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.