Defensive Carry banner

Looking for a good hi-cap 45 (NOT a GLOCK)

5K views 55 replies 15 participants last post by  Bud White 
#1 · (Edited)
I have my M27 Glock and I love it because it fits my hand perfectly. The Glock M30, M21 and M36 do NOT.

A 1911 DA meaning a ParaOrd is a possibility but only in a 4" or bigger barrel. I'm thinking MAYBE of a TAC-4. Feels just great. However, I'm a bit concerned about the gun being a bit fragile especially in the spring department. I won't be competing with the gun (well not a lot), just for use on trips and as a general carry piece.

I'm also thinking of maybe a CZ 45 or the EAA clone. Does anybody have experience with these? I'm basically looking for a 10-13 rd mag capacity. The Tac-4 meets this. Dunno about the EAA. Also looking for a DA type action on the first shot. The TAC-4 is an LDA which I guess is a DAO, but lighter.

I'm ALSO thinking MAYBE of a S&W M99 in 45ACP. This is the joint effort between S&W and Walther. It seems to have at least a 10rd capacity and is DA. The light rail might be a plus as is it seems to me the ability to change out the mainspring housing configuration, so as to accomodate smaller hands like mine. Anybody have any experience with THESE?

#52 ·
I can't explain the inner workings of it. I do seem to remember being all to pull the trigger repeatedly without having to work the slide; so, I think that it does have double strike ability. However, please don't hold me to that as I don't remember for sure.

As a person that shoots DA revolvers a fair amount and shoots DA/SA bottom feeders, I found everything about the LDA trigger to be pleasing. I don't recall having to take my finger all the way off of it to reset it. The sear should reset at a point close to full extension.

The pull on each that I have tried was very, very nice and smooth.

#53 ·
My best friend SWEARS by his C6 LDA. But he doesn't shoot it that much and only reduced loads. Being a retired 05 Special Forces gives him some credibility in my book. HE says that doing a field strip on a PO with the LDA feature is an exercise in misery. He only does such a job every three or four times he shoots it. The rest of the time he just sprays it down with gun scrubber and makes sure he blasts particles away. Then he wipes it down and pays special attention to the bore and ramp and extractor areas.

I'm not sure I could agree on this. The only gun I know of that works every time all the time, no matter how dirty it gets is the Glock. The Glock only takes FIVE small drops of lubricant to get it to run and run and run. Even run dirty. I wonder how a PO LDA runs when it hasn't been cleaned in about 500rds? I know I'd have no problem with a Glock. Still, I can't have a Glock 45 for the reasons I stated at the start of this thread. When the chips are down only a 45 will do it for my peace of mind. Otherwise I'd stick with my M27 shorty forty forever. I ALSO want the accessory rail for a gunlight.

#55 ·
My Decision Is.....

CLASS3NH said:
Probably the PXD LDA Models.the Covert Black, the Colonel, the Covert Black Ops.......all with 14+1 cap....they also make the 16 and 18 shot models as well..<not sure if they have the rail or not tho>
Yes, the USPs take a little patience to get accustomed to as well........ :biggrin: Glad to see we're all giving you good input :biggrin:
Here is the link: http://www.paraord.com/product/product.html?id=45

I am pretty sure that SureFire offers an adaptor for guns without a rail so as to be able to hang the gun light. That does it for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.