Looking for a good hi-cap 45 (NOT a GLOCK)

This is a discussion on Looking for a good hi-cap 45 (NOT a GLOCK) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have my M27 Glock and I love it because it fits my hand perfectly. The Glock M30, M21 and M36 do NOT. A 1911 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good hi-cap 45 (NOT a GLOCK)

Cool Looking for a good hi-cap 45 (NOT a GLOCK)

I have my M27 Glock and I love it because it fits my hand perfectly. The Glock M30, M21 and M36 do NOT.

A 1911 DA meaning a ParaOrd is a possibility but only in a 4" or bigger barrel. I'm thinking MAYBE of a TAC-4. Feels just great. However, I'm a bit concerned about the gun being a bit fragile especially in the spring department. I won't be competing with the gun (well not a lot), just for use on trips and as a general carry piece.

I'm also thinking of maybe a CZ 45 or the EAA clone. Does anybody have experience with these? I'm basically looking for a 10-13 rd mag capacity. The Tac-4 meets this. Dunno about the EAA. Also looking for a DA type action on the first shot. The TAC-4 is an LDA which I guess is a DAO, but lighter.

I'm ALSO thinking MAYBE of a S&W M99 in 45ACP. This is the joint effort between S&W and Walther. It seems to have at least a 10rd capacity and is DA. The light rail might be a plus as is it seems to me the ability to change out the mainspring housing configuration, so as to accomodate smaller hands like mine. Anybody have any experience with THESE?
    Last edited by ExSoldier; May 28th, 2005 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Added another idea on gun model
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

You mean the CZ 97B. It's an amazing handgun. Most accurate handgun I've ever owned.

Smile Hope these pics upload

Quote Originally Posted by George Hill
    You mean the CZ 97B. It's an amazing handgun. Most accurate handgun I've ever owned.
    Found some pics of the CZ 97 B

I know that while COL Jeff Cooper just HATES all the 9mm's, he also says that the venerable CZ 75 is the best example of a great gun for a poor caliber. I wonder how he feels about the CZ in a 45? Hmmmm
    Attached Images
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

How about a HK usp or usp compact 12 rounds in mag on fullsize 8 or 9 in compact

Also Springfield is making a Hi cap 1911 milspec this year

A USP .45 would be just the ticket for a non-GLOCK high capacity .45....
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

I don't have first hand experience but the full size USP in .45 is a nice gun. I've gotten a chance to play with one. I personally congratulated the owner on his purchase. I'd consider getting one if I could justify the expense.

Edit: Here's another thought: The Taurus 24/7 in .45 ACP has been rather well received. I hear the negatives include it's hard to take down and the slide stop is stiff. Same grip angle as a 1911.
    Last edited by Euclidean; May 29th, 2005 at 01:27 AM.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    May I ask why this pistol must be a .45 ACP.

Is it the demands of a department regulation?

The same reason I was wanting a .45 Tourist only more so: familiarity and trying to avoid 10 million different calibers. He already runs 1911s so looking for a .45 makes a whole lot of sense.

If nothing else it's only one set of dies to own and one kind of brass to gather.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    That's true. However, in Madison, Wisconsin, the city police officers may only carry 9x19, .45 ACP, .38SPL and .357 Mag. They will let the officers carry a Glock.

In many jurisdictions, a Glock 22/23 has been the issued sidearm for years. You cannot carry one in Madison.

I probably shoot more 22LR's and .45 ACP's than any other calibres I own combined. Almost all of my defense firearms are .40 SW.

Granted, I only have about ten different gun powders on my shelf. It does make it simple. But if a great new gun came along that struck my fancy--and the .454 and the .475 are headed in that direction--I might have to expand my inventory.

The Para 14 in 5" might be your better choice...also the Kimber Pro 10 poly series..
    I personally love the K&K USP cCompact in either 40 or 45...GREAT syetem...huge cost though..(I have a USP 40 Compact Stainless slide, and it's a superb weapon platform)
    The Para LDA's are nice to....Maybe.just maybe now........how about a S&W 4513TSW?
    (since you're thinking about a SW99 as it's a Smith) The 4513TSW has sight rails, stailess, Novaks, very compact, and D/A..."I also have the 4013TSW as well.)..

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    The Para 14 in 5" might be your better choice...also the Kimber Pro 10 poly series..
    I personally love the H&K USP Compact in either 40 or 45...GREAT syetem...huge cost though..(I have a USP 40 Compact Stainless slide, and it's a superb weapon platform)
    The Para LDA's are nice to....Maybe.just maybe now........how about a S&W 4513TSW?
    (since you're thinking about a SW99 as it's a Smith) The 4513TSW has sight rails, stailess, Novaks, very compact, and D/A..."I also have the 4013TSW as well.)..
    Good thoughts, thanks. The Smith 99 is a hybrid with Walther and has none of the ergonomics of a regular Smith semiauto. Those I can't stand.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    This may get me slapped around and beaten about the head and shoulders with a cane pole, but have you considered the Springfield XD in .45 GAP? Also, they are introducing their Champion 1911 model in the GAP round.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Quote Originally Posted by CombatEffective
    This may get me slapped around and beaten about the head and shoulders with a cane pole, but have you considered the Springfield XD in .45 GAP? Also, they are introducing their Champion 1911 model in the GAP round.

Well since you asked for it :chairshot

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links