Kahr P-9, What a Shooter!

This is a discussion on Kahr P-9, What a Shooter! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We'll I've broken in a Kahr P-9. Alls I can say is that it's about the finest handgun I've ever had the pleasure of shooting. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr P-9, What a Shooter!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Kahr P-9, What a Shooter!

We'll I've broken in a Kahr P-9. Alls I can say is that it's about the finest handgun I've ever had the pleasure of shooting. I'd ordered this one with blackened stainless slide and night sights. It's DAO only with no safety or any external controls besides a slide release. I've got the 9mm. I went with the 9 as its so cheap to shoot and still, it's viable for self defense. I also went with the 9 because this pistol is LIGHT!!!! It's trigger is so smooth! I can't keep all the shots in a small jagged hole at 20 yards. As a concealed carry weapon, it's outstanding! It's less than an inch wide and simply disappears on me. I got the P9 because I wanted a full three finger grip and the P9 has exactly the right grip. The top round does fit in an odd manner in the mag as it angles up naturally which is different and it's rough on the thumb to load rounds in the mag but I just can't believe how reliable and accurate it is! Someday I'd like to get the Kahr K40 which is the steel version in a .40cal. I think the heavier model would feel better firing a .40.

I did a lot of research and now I've done a lot of shooting with mine. I just can't think of any pistol that would be a better conceal carry weapon. I can actually conceal this weapon better than my S&W J frame because of how thin the weapon is!

I spent a lot of money on this gun, but I can't believe how well it shoots! I have small hands and found many glocks, sigs, and other fine guns just a little to wide in the grip to give me a good grip with my finger just where it needed to be, but this Kahr fits my hand like they made it for me. The slide is a little stiff due to heavy springs so it might be a bit much for someone who had little wrist/hand strength, but it's not as bad as I'd heard.

Not much of a thread guys and gals, but if you're ever considering a small 9mm for concealed carry that is accurate and super accurate, I can recommend this one!

Believe it or not, I'm carrying a $700.00 weapon in a $15.00 Uncle Mikes sidekick IWB because it's super comfortable and doesn't add any bulk! The only disadvantage is you can do a one hand reholster, however, if need be I could just slip the gun in a pocket after I've drawn it and no longer need it. I bought a Blade Tech ultimate concealed holster but I don't like it at all! The holster itself is fine but the belt loop piece is so stiff it won't let my belt wrap around my hip smoothly. It kind of sticks out like a wing and gives the setup more bulk than an IWB that lets the belt wrap around the gun and get right back up tight against the waist. If anyone has a Kahr and would like to buy it cheap for themselves, just let me know. Maybe it'll fit you better than me.

God Bless...

Gideon

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs up

Actually that's a great thread Gideon. I know a lot of us have interest in the Kahrs. It's always good to hear when someone finds something that just works.

Well Congrats
    I have had several Kahrs 2 K40s 1 MK40 and my current E9. I was pleased with all with the execption to 1 of the K40s. Will post more later during the week, Just got home and have to head back to work in a few hours.

I hear ya', G. I have really, really come to love my e9. Now that I've been bitten, I wanna k9, just so as I got 2.

Dan

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    A fellow officer at my department just bought one, and he is very pleased with it. I know another guy at the department is looking at one. I need a pocket pistol; so, maybe I should take a look at one myself.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well between myself and my family weve had a dozen of them. Nice in everyway. Kahrs are one of the best made guns Ive seen or owned.
    Enjoy it.......as for the Uncle Mikes......well, you dont want the opinion of a holster maker on that one.
    Shoot well and enjoy your gun.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Administrator

Thumbs up Read More About The Kahr P9

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'll wait until the Kahr 45 hit's the market.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator

Photo borrowed of the web

Size Of Glock 36 Compared To Kahr P9
    I'll still stick w/ my G36 in .45
    Less "bullettos" but fatter bullettos.
    The Kahr feels much better "in hand" though as the grip configuration is much nicer...in my opinion.
    The G36 "point shoots" to the right for some people for some odd reason.
    I think the Kahr is a much more natural pointer.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for your commentary.

Gideon,

It so happens that I'm in the market for a "Summer gun," and I am looking at the G26/27 and the Kahrs. I appreciate your input on this matter.

I would probably already have one, but my range has been closed for about a month, so I haven't had a chance for a test drive.

SSKC

Talking Person shot with Glock becomes GLOCKAMOLY

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Size Of Glock 36 Compared To Kahr P9
    I'll still stick w/ my G36 in .45
    Less "bullettos" but fatter bullettos.
    The Kahr feels much better "in hand" though as the grip configuration is much nicer...in my opinion.
    The G36 "point shoots" to the right for some people for some odd reason.
    I think the Kahr is a much more natural pointer.
    I can't speak for the Kahr, but you absolutely cannot go wrong with a Glock M27! I especially love to carry it with a M22 or M23 mag as backup, giving 13 or 15 rds. Put one of those plastic spacers on and it gives a seamless grip area. Awesome.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I've been thinking of getting one of these for the hot summer days (don't laugh) in Oregon, when wearing a vest would look odd (I said stop laughing!).

I'm trying to chose between the P9 and one of the ultra compact 1911s.

The K9 would ride in a pocket holster, but the 1911 would have to go in a tuckable, which is slower to get to, but then I do like bigger holes...on the other hand the K9 would work as a better BUG to my S&W 1911SC...

So many guns, so little cash...
    /***********
    Phill
    ************/

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate"
    William of Ockham (ca. 1285-1349)

Hey QKShooter how did you get a picture of my gun? I have two Kahr's a subcompact .40 (forget the mod #) and a P9. The P9 was loaned to my SWAT team to test for inclusion as an off duty/backup piece. Passed with flying colors. I have several guns and keep cycling back to the P9 for all the reasons GIDEON stated at the start of this thread. Would like a K40 but considering how the P9 bucks with +P may wait a while and give it more thought. Ya I know the small .40 bucks but its a last ditch backup/belly type.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Guys, I think the K40 will be ideal, but a P40 will have more muzzle flip. I'm also skeptical about any of the Kahrs being used as a pocket pistol unless it's the PM9. I haven't shot one, but based on shooting my P9, I think the PM40 would be too much for followup shots and wouldn't be very nice for range work. I must say thought, I'm sold on them and one day intend to get a K40 to round out my over all collection. I looked at the Clock 36 but the biggest difference between the glocks and the Kahrs that will affect concealability and "carryability" all day is the thickness. It's a staggering difference.

I think the 9mm is effective is you have good placement, are good with your weapon and you can't beat the cost of shooting a 9mm.

Well, goodnight all!

Gideon

So does anyone carry a PM9? I heard the beefy recoil spring made them hard to rack, so the PM40 would be even worse. I had a Browning HP in 40 which was a pain to rack. It made malf drills a chore
    /***********
    Phill
    ************/

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate"
    William of Ockham (ca. 1285-1349)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links