This is a discussion on 642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I were to switch to a wheel gun for CCW it would with out a doubt be a 642 or an SP101. For new ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 642

If I were to switch to a wheel gun for CCW it would with out a doubt be a 642 or an SP101. For new the Ruger is cheaper and just as functional.

Depends whether or not the dealer really wants to sell the Smitty.
    They sure are sweet though.
    Last edited by MissouriMule; June 17th, 2005 at 10:41 PM.
    John Moses Browning and Eugene Stoner were the Albert Einstein's of the Gun Industry!

2. Remove Ads

A 642 rides with me daily, in a Null pocket holster weak side. Usually third gun.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatEffective
    I've been very pleased with the 642. I put off buying one for so long. Now, I carry the thing so much I wish I had bought one a long time ago.
    Thank you for the kind words.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Just to add to the hilarity...

There is one known issue with some 642s and that is the horrible spray on finish.

Having cleaned mine many times now, the original finish has mostly worn away. What's left underneath is a kind of "brushed steel" look, like the brushed Zippo lighters. It looks okay, but it is rough. This is not something I desire in an object I don't want to get caught on a draw from a pocket.

I have taken to rubbing it gently with some fine steel wool, and then again with a silicone cloth. Make sure you clean it again to get out the steel fibers, preferably with a blower powered by a high powered air compressor.

This doesn't make it look any better, but it does smooth it up. If only there was some way to polish up the MIM trigger I could actually have this thing looking kind of nice. But like all my wheelies it's coming off as used and not abused.

I could care less what the finish looks like....do not collect guns, just carry and shoot them. As long as the gun is safe, and shoots well and is reliable, the finish is mote.

My 642 has peeled in some areas...if I really wanted it fixed, it could go back to S&W, or to Robar.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

I'm with you KC but I don't like my pocket gun having a surface as rough as sandpaper! I don't want friction on the draw so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I am REALLY thinking that the 642 with a DA action Job to make the trigger pull "Smooth~as~Silk" in combination with some zippy GOLD DOT & a pair of Crimson Trace laser grips would be THE ultimate BUG.
    THAT WOULD BE ONE AMAZINGLY EFFECTIVE LAST DITCH BELLY BUTTON GUN!
    I had some of the Crimson Trace grips for my 642 and for some silly reason sold them....now I want another set. Could save soooo much money if I would just keep the stuff when I bought it the first time

Administrator

Monty

You are telling that to the guy that makes some of the dumest dollar losin'-est gun trades and deals on the planet but, "What The Hey" it's only $$$ & you only live once...or twice if you're really lucky!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    You are telling that to the guy that makes some of the dumest dollar losin'-est gun trades and deals on the planet but, "What The Hey" it's only $$$ & you only live once...or twice if you're really lucky!
    Been there, done that too............but I'm paying em back LOl.

I'm a newb here, hello to all. I've lurked a few times and liked what I saw/read. I bought my 642 this week and have Crimson Trace grips (original design) on order.

Has anyone put any Hydra-Shok 147gr. +P+ through their 642?

642 is not +P+ rated.

Never heard of the listed ammo in .38 special by Federal..New?
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Quote Originally Posted by KC135
    642 is not +P+ rated.

Never heard of the listed ammo in .38 special by Federal..New?

I know it is not, only +P rated. Go to Federal's site and you'll find it under the Law Enforcement section.

BTW, I have some but have not shot any yet.
    Last edited by JMag; June 26th, 2005 at 05:01 PM.

While Federal tends to be caution with +P+(look at velocity from a 4" barrel)I would use another round. Do not know if it will open up out of a 1 7/8" barrel.

Do not believe the round has been tested by the only group I trust. I will suggest it for a future test from a 2" gun.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Red face

FWIW... I now have it on good authority if stereotypes are to be believed that my 642, is indeed, and I quote:

Absolutely FABULOUS!

Hehe apparently the forum doesn't use the "[color]" tag, but you get the idea.

BTW, I got some Nyclad 125gr. +Ps yesterday and will soon try 'em out.
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links