This is a discussion on 642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The 640 Stainless Centennial is +P+ rated. If I were to carry a S&W wheelgun that was rated for +P ONLY then I would shoot ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 642

Administrator

Concerning +P & +P+ For S&W J Frame Revolvers

The 640 Stainless Centennial is +P+ rated.
    If I were to carry a S&W wheelgun that was rated for +P ONLY then I would shoot regular "+" ammo in it and carry it defensively with +P+ anyway.
    That is what I would do myself & I'm not suggesting that anybody else violate the Smith And Wesson +P+ LAWS.
    Historically...a S&W +P revolver will not explode just because you shoot it with +P+ but, it will shoot loose much quicker & go out of time...which probably will not bother you too much at all when the Bad Guy is running at you with a tire iron designed to fit your head. If I owned a tight Good Condition Non~Abused S&W that was rated for +P...I would be OK with carrying it with +P+ & would not worry about it BLOWING UP if I ever needed to use it to save my skin.
    Since chances are great that you'll need your "Belly Gun" Close Up & Personal & not as a Defensive Long Range Target Handgun....Stoking it with +P+ for Emergency Defensive Use...makes a lot of sense to me.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    In the .38sp, how much are you gaining when you go from the +P to the +P+?
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Administrator

Lots Of Data

There is lots of printed material "out there" concerning various ammo in +P & +P+ fired out of ultra~short barrels & I'll look it up for you by Friday.
    I can tell you that in slopping wet phone books there is a bit of visual difference with the +P+ looking a bit more destructive.
    Of course you are gaining a bit of muzzle flash & some increase in sharper "felt" recoil also. I have fired off a very few cylinders full of +P+ in +P revolvers but, I don't have a chronograph SO....I'm not being very helpful right now...am I?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I just wonder if you are getting enough advantage from the extra + to negate the extra flash and recoil.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links