Night sights on front only?

This is a discussion on Night sights on front only? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I tried to search - didn't want to dup another post but anything I searched for on night sights came back with almost 300 posts ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Night sights on front only?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Night sights on front only?

I tried to search - didn't want to dup another post but anything I searched for on night sights came back with almost 300 posts to look at.

Anyway - anyone here only have the front sight - night sight or everyone have front AND rear?
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

I cant imagine any pistol with only the front sight being a tritium night sight.

Anyone that does hasn't mastered the art of a "Two sight picture" technique, or they've not heard of it.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

I have seen a S&W 340 pd with a front night site. I don't see how it could be any good unless you are really close to your target.

There are some people who prefer this setup, as it works for them. From a another thread (http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=30463)...

Quote Originally Posted by ront View Post
    Very nice gun Rocnerd!! I have the .40c and I like it a lot!! I also have a sight set up pretty much exactly like you are talking about. It have taken a bit to get used to just the night sight in front. I like the set up very much. That said, it the Warren Tactical sight were released with a tritium tube under the notch (just a single tube) I may purchase that one.
    Here are a few pictures of my set up.

Ron

Stock sight set up
    I have been toying with the idea of a warren tactical solid black rear and a night sight up front.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    I tried to search - didn't want to dup another post but anything I searched for on night sights came back with almost 300 posts to look at.

Anyway - anyone here only have the front sight - night sight or everyone have front AND rear?
    I had a HI-Viz fiber optic on a 220 worked very well. I now thats not what your asking but it worked well.

I toyed with the idea. I always used trijy's and doing some night shooting it looked like 3 UFO's right infront of me and I sometimes would loose which one was the front sight. Then I got a a pair of Orange Rears, Green Front Night Mepros WOW what a difference.

If you remember back to grade school ROYGBV (RED, Orange, Yellow, Green, BLue, VIOLET) Color spectrum.

Green is actually brighter than orange.
    Draw a even bell curve over R O Y G B V and green and yellow rest in the middle and appear the brightest to the human eye. With the Orange rears its enought to make a big enough difference to get faster aquistion in real dark places.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    I cant imagine any pistol with only the front sight being a tritium night sight.

Anyone that does hasn't mastered the art of a "Two sight picture" technique, or they've not heard of it.
    Actually, for defensive accuracy perfect sight allignment not needed.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

One of mine is set up with front-only tritium, and it works pretty well for me overall. What a few of us had noticed during low light practice was that sometimesfolks with a full set of night sights were slowing down too much to try to achieve a "more perfect" sight picture. Perhaps with more training and repetition that wouldn't be an issue.

Note the italicized use of 'sometimes' above, that's my way of preventing any incoming flaming arrows that might be headed in my direction.

I know quite a few shooters who use a set-up similar to the one Eagle5 linked. Warren, 10-8, Y-B, and some Novak rear sights are all intended to be used with a front night sight (or some other high vis. choice) without the use of rear dots.

It's all preference and experience. I have a buddy who shoots great with Heinie straight-8 sights, while I do better with 3 dot, especially past 10 yards.

B.

My SIG P239SAS is that way. Never had to use it in a stressful situation, but its as accurate as anything else I have (when put in my hands). That being said, I'd rather have the 3 sights and will probably switch out the rear with a set that I had from a previous 239. I don't care for the rear sights on stock SIGs.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post

One of my SIGS has white dots on rear and Tritium dot on front.

You don't understand the concept.

Many people find the glowing rear sight distracting in very low light.

Low Light Defensive shooting should normally be close range , and all
    you need do is keep the front dot center of mass.

Obviously - the daytime sight picture will be conventional.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Actually, for defensive accuracy perfect sight allignment not needed.
    True. My Glock 21 had a large dot tritium front sight & a ghost ring rear sight. It worked well & was quick.

Currently, though, I have different color (Front & rear sights) TFOs.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Lead Moderator
    I think the original intent for front sight only tritium was for military applications. a holstered 3 dot trit. set up would give away position thru night vision.
    That said, I have considered front dot only , for fast shooting. How precise ya gonna be in a low light situation anyway?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

OD*
    I have two pistols set up with tritium in the front only.
    After using 3 dot Trijicons for almost 20 years and switching to the single front, I don't think I'd ever go back to 3 dot.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I've painted the front sight on my revolvers and left the rear sights alone. Of course they are painted with a luminous paint, so that's sort of like a front night sight.

Biker

I am going to set up my M&P with a night site front and a plain black rear. I have been distracted in the past with the three dot set up and thought the plain black would prevent that distraction. It took me an additional fraction of a second to determine which was the front site in low light conditions. In bright light I find that my eyes are drawn more easily to the two dot rear sites. I then have to refocus on the front site before I can break the shot. I have found that with the plain black sight my eyes immediately focus on the front sight since it stands out more and there are no distinguishing characteristics on the rear sights to distract me.

Once I get the sights and make the swap if I don't like the plain black rears I will go back to a three dot set up with a green front and orange rear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links