The Taurus Judge

This is a discussion on The Taurus Judge within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm starting to see magazine articles on Taurus' Judge (Model 44) revolver that chambers 5 rounds of .45 ACP, .45 Long Colt or .410 shotgun ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Taurus Judge

The Taurus Judge

I'm starting to see magazine articles on Taurus' Judge (Model 44) revolver that chambers 5 rounds of .45 ACP, .45 Long Colt or .410 shotgun shells. It's cylinders are overly long to contain the shells, so the short barrel model has funny proportions. Since the barrel is mildly rifled, the 18" federal limit for smooth bore shotgun barrels does not apply.

I think this firearm is too bulky for easy concealment, and I doubt that many holster makers support it, but it seems like a good car gun or home defense weapon. A handgun sized shotgun has the advantage of better weapon retention (compared with a long gun), easier to use in conjunction with use of a flashlight and/or cell phone and less worry about over penetration of partition walls. I would load the first two chambers with No. 4 shot to shock the BG, then follow up with 3 .45's that will only be used if the BG still has fight in him.

Have any of you fired this gun? You must have to use a star clip to retain the .45 cartridges in the chambers. Doesn't this get in the way of loading the .410 shells, or do they have to be loaded first?

2. Remove Ads

From my understanding it doesn't fire .45 ACP only .45 Long Colt or .410's.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Assistant Administrator
    dr_cmg has one and wrote it up a while back.

He may well drop by and add his 2c plus a link to his thread. You may however find that by doing a search on ''judge'' with him selected as post originator.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Famous Gun writer Dick Metcalf did a video on the judge its pretty neat heres the link http://www.taurususa.com/video/taurus-videos.cfm
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    This weapon is on my Christmas list. I do not think this was meant to be a concealment weapon. I'll be using it for a close quarters car gun.

I know I really want one. I haven't even seen one in my local shop though.

I was wrong about the .45 ACP. I thought I got that from the August addition of American Rifleman, but I went back and checked; it's .45 Colt and .410, no .45 ACP.

Thanks for the video link; that's eye opening. I'll have to put one on my Chanukah list.

Senior Moderator
    The videos all seem to show small shot dispersing in a wide pattern.

It seems to me that while this will be messy, it is not going to achieve the penetration needed for quick stopping of the threat.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Matt I know what you are saying about the video. That is why I said I wanted it for close quarters car gun. Not for its stopping powers but for its get away powers.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    It seems to me that while this will be messy, it is not going to achieve the penetration needed for quick stopping of the threat.
    Depends a lot on what kind of shot you use. I see some people advocating loading the Judge with birdshot, which isn't a good stopper in any gun. If you load it with 00 or 000 buck, on the other hand, it's going to get good penetration and do some serious damage.

Senior Moderator
    Yeah, the buckshot should achieve the penetration needed.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Those 3 pellet OOO buck shells would be pretty nasty.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    jofrdo:

I've got one and have shot it (and shoot it whenever I get the chance), and it is a H-O-O-T, period. I heartily and highly recommend it.

I've read on other boards where people poo-poo The Judge as too bulky to carry, too ungainly to handle, too odd-looking to make you a chick magnet, too-this or too-that, and how everything you can do with one could be done more effectively with something else.

Big Woop. All those comments have been made (as far as I can tell) by people who haven't actually SHOT The Judge.

You shoot it, you love it.

It would be a great car or room defense weapon. I have mine by the bed or on my desktop, loaded with 000. I've patterned it, and inside 7yards, it'll put three .380 or .32 ACP-equivalent buckshot pellets inside a canteloupe-sized circle, every time. And it allows you to put 15 of'em in such a circle really, really fast.

With birdshot at very close ranges (up to 5 yards, probably a little longer), you don't miss. Anything.

It'll be a good rabbit gun (loaded with No. 4's) for up-close and personal cottontail encounters next winter.

And its performance on snakes......I'll have to leave that to your imagination, aside from saying that it gets the job done (which is something of an understatement).

I shot a two-inch group with it with .45LC's at 15 yards, too.

It conceals great inside a large smartcarry (under overalls), but would be kind of awkward to carry concealed in most any other sort of rig or clothing setup.

Dude, I'd get one while the getting's good (and it doesn't look like the getting is going to get much gooder)- - just for fun if nothing else.
    Last edited by randytulsa2; August 21st, 2007 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Misspelled "buckshot" with something that looked vaguely obscene...
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

HKR
    I keep a .357 sp101 for a truck gun and my friend liked the idea so he went to a gunshop and brought back a .............Judge. Anyway, he really likes it and the two times I've fired it have made me consider getting one. I have only shot 00 buck through it and I don't think any carjacker wants any part of that. The two major shops around here both stock them and say they are getting quite popular with the local farmers and ranchers.

I shot one on Saturday. Fella at the range was teaching his teenage son to shoot with one.

He let me shoot a cylinder of .410 birdshot. At five yards, the pattern was about 3 feet in diameter.

The ejector required hammering against a wood block to dump the spent hulls.

Can't say that I left the experience wanting one.

YMMV one hell of a lot.

Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links