Need some custom 1911 work done...Recommendations?

This is a discussion on Need some custom 1911 work done...Recommendations? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need some suggestions as to where to get some work done. I just bought a used Springfield (loaded model) 1911 and want to get it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some custom 1911 work done...Recommendations?

Need some custom 1911 work done...Recommendations?

Need some suggestions as to where to get some work done. I just bought a used Springfield (loaded model) 1911 and want to get it tightened up. Looking to get the following done and want some feedback on smiths you've all had experience with.

I want to throat and polish barrel feed ramp, tune extractor, tune ejector, get matched link and barrel bushing, and get the fit on barrel hood and lugs tightened up.

Anyfeedback would help. Thanks
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Pretty much no gunsmiths "weld up" a factory barrel hood or lugs anymore.
    Nobody really tightens up a barrel hood on an existing or factory barrel anymore.
    The aftermarket "match grade" barrels are oversize in those areas and the custom smith will fit them to your slide.

Sounds like what you really need is a new match grade barrel.
    That takes care of the barrel feed ramp (already throated and polished) - the hood the barrel lugs plus the bushing (already fit to the barrel) and the link.

If you have that done then you might NOT need to get the slide tightened to the frame.
    In fact I would say unless it's "goose loose" then probably not.

Just guessing that what you really need is a "fit" match grade barrel with a mated bushing and the correct size link.

POSSIBLY...your frame feed ramp polished.

and a tuned Extractor.
    That should cover you out and you should be good to go.

Administrator
    Added Note:
    With the modern "match grade" barrels the critical fit is with the barrel slide locking lugs and the lower lugs...and truthfully the barrel hood being "beautifully fit" these days is really not much more than a cosmetic thing.

When earlier gun-smiths "fit" the barrel hood to the slide it was because they were pretty much modifying sloppy fitting factory barrels in order to give them a match grade fit.

The factory barrels were usually always undersize in the area of the slide to frame lugs and the external barrel chamber area.

So...those gun-smiths compensated for the undersize lugs and barrel by "welding up" the barrel hood and taking care of the rear barrel movement problem in the "hood to slide" area.

These days all areas of the match grade barrel have much closer tolerances and those high quality aftermarket match barrels will lock up tight to the slide even with space showing all around the barrel hood. Just FYI.

JD
    Administrator
    EGW is semi-local in Quakertown, I've had some work done there in the past and I've been pleased.

http://www.egw-guns.com/

Nighthawk Custom I sent them my Kimber Warrior.I've just got to get one of there full house guns now.

If you want to get a 1911 to run well, you need to contact a Master Pistolsmith that specializes in such work; In my experience drawn mainly from my days as a competitor in IPSC, was to use a gunsmith who was also a competitor himself. the guys that compete and shoot have first hand experience as to what works and what doesn't "in the heat of battle" so to speak. I have used Benny Hill at Triangle shooting sports in Corpus Christi, TX for years. His prices are reasonable and he stands behind his work. He is a Grandmaster/Master competitor in IPSC/IDPA and has a reputation for "making 1911's run, no matter what". He builds everything from full house 1911 race guns to entry/tactical weapons for law enforcement. Give him a call, or visit his website at www.triangleshootingsports.com.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Thanks guys... I actually did find a smith that "welds up" like the old timers, however as you stated, a match grade barrel should take care of that.
    Last edited by PAExplorer; August 22nd, 2007 at 03:27 PM.
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    JD is right on the mark with EGW. Extremely talented folks up there!

Got a call in to them! Also, my name is Eric, so I might actually get one of those "E" triggers with my trigger job!

JD
    Administrator
    Don't forget to get the monogrammed recoil spring plug

Seriously, they have them.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Don't forget to get the monogrammed recoil spring plug

Seriously, they have them.
    good lord! I think I'll just stick to the classic look!

Quote Originally Posted by PAExplorer View Post
    Need some suggestions as to where to get some work done. I just bought a used Springfield (loaded model) 1911 and want to get it tightened up. Looking to get the following done and want some feedback on smiths you've all had experience with.

I want to throat and polish barrel feed ramp, tune extractor, tune ejector, get matched link and barrel bushing, and get the fit on barrel hood and lugs tightened up.

Anyfeedback would help. Thanks

Springfield custom shop. Bar none

EGW or Ted Yost for my money i would go with yost

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by PAExplorer View Post
    Thanks guys... I actually did find a smith that "welds up" like the old timers, however as you stated, a match grade barrel should take care of that.
    I believe Robby Barrkman still does it also.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Now a question from the peanut gallery. Which is the most efficient, going with a factory barrel that needs welding and machining to fit, or a match barrel that needs machining to fit? I'm speaking of time and cost of both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links