Defensive Carry banner

Suggest me a new concealed carry piece!

5K views 41 replies 30 participants last post by  ReefBlueCoupe 
#1 ·
I currently carry a G23 in a CTAC and am waiting on 2 custom leather holsters. Down here in the south it is way too hot to wear anything too heavy. I find I can conceal my 23 farely well depending on what I'm wearing. However, if my shirt is not too big(drooping off of me, which I can't stand) the 23 prints very badly. I want a new piece that no matter what I'm wearing I would not think twice about carrying(and when in public I don't always need to be aware of it...just strap it on and forget about it). Only requirement is .38 caliber or better. Auto or revolver. My guess is everyone is gonna say the 642 J-frame. If so be specific as to which model/options you are carrying it with. If it is an auto it needs to be reliable. Money is not much of an issue within reason. Thanks!

#2 ·
Actually, if you can find the right holster for you, you would be surprised in how light of clothing you can conceal that 23 with little clothing. I often carry my 23 in shorts and a t-shirt, and I don't wear baggy or larger size clothing. There are times I even have my t-shirt tucked in over the gun. No printing that gives me away. Just have to find the right holster.

Otherwise, maybe a kahr CW40 or CW9. They are about the same size, just thinner. I often use that one in a tuckable IWB when I want a little deeper concealment.

This is my favorite IWB

#3 ·
Have you thought about the KelTec's PF9, P11, P3AT?

I carry a Taurus 605 Blue when my wife hasn't got it, but I really thinking about trying to add a P11 or PF9 to my stable.

#4 ·
Small revo IWB. It's contours hide what it is even if there is slight printing. However, with some (non rubber) boot grips and a good holster (with decent forward cant) it will disapear into your side.

#5 ·
My EDC is a 4" S&W N-Frame Revolver. I find revolvers easier to hide due to the stocks being shorter than the grips on an autoloader, if you change them.
I have Eagle "Secret Service" stocks on mine and I have no problem concealing under a dark T-Shirt. I also prefer revolvers because the "curves" on a wheelgun are easier to hide than the "squareness" of a "bottomfeeder".
By the way, I'm not a big guy, 5'06" and 140 pounds soaking wet. I live in the desert southwest and know full well about 100+ degree days too.
My BUG is a S&W 442. It hides in a pocket really well, or on the ankle. If you want a .357 Magnum take a look at the Ruger GP100 in a 3" Barrel. To me a 3" barrel is the "ultimate" CCW size.
If you must stick with an autoloader take a look at Kahr. I have a PM9 that I use as a third gun, or a BUG to my Glock 19. I only carry them Off-Duty about 2% of the time.
The "trick" to hiding a decent sized gun is using a good belt and holster from a "reputable" maker and learning to "Dress around the gun".

Biker :tumbleweed:

#8 ·
I can conceal my 23 under a tee shirt in my VM-II.

Have you though about a G-27?

#9 ·
KelTec 3AT. Small, lightweight, I carry one everywhere that it is legal to do so! With CorBon or other high quality self defense rounds it is very effective. I used to carry a J-frame, pocket carry, but the KelTec has taken its place. Mine is very accurate for having such tiny sights. Great little point shooting at spitting distance self defense gun.

#14 ·
Kahrs are fine quality guns. The key is to break them in.

#15 ·
I carry a S&W 642 in a Comp Tac CTAC and it carries very well. Doesn't print and I can pocket carry it if I wanted to as well. :hand10:

#17 ·
2 suggestions - both skinny, concealable guns...

I have two small guns that are quite thin and conceal easily in an IWB holster. I would recommend either one for summer carry when you are only wearing a tee shirt as a cover garment. They are a Kahr MK9 (9mm) and a Colt Defender (.45 ACP), shown below.

Both guns have 3 inch barrels and a slide width of 0.90 inches. The grip width on the Kahr is about 0.95 inches (with stock nylon grips - the wood is a little thicker), and grip width on the Defender is 1.04 inches (with thin grip panels).

I carry the Kahr in a Comp Tac kydex "appendix carry" holster at 2:00, and the Colt in various holsters at 4:00, either IWB or OWB.

Another summer carry option I have used that conceals well under a tee shirt is a snubby like my Colt Detective Special .38 in a high ride OWB leather holster from DeSantis at 4:00 position. The gun sits so high relative to the belt that you don't really need to go IWB. And as someone mentioned, the curved narrow grip of a snubby conceals even better than a typical semiauto grip.

#18 ·
That Colt Detective Special sounds like a dandy choice to me. You also can't go wrong with the S&W Model 642. Stoke 'em with +P 158 grain SWC's and your ready to go.

#19 ·
My second carry weapon is a Taurus 905 (9mm) revolver. I carry it in a Blackhawk "Berns-Martin" style leather holster most of the time (sometimes in a Fobus paddle holster) and it's not likely that anyone else would ever know you're carrying.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,
just me

#20 ·
My guess is everyone is gonna say the 642 J-frame.
Nope, a 442 J frame. Black is the new silver for 2007. I carry mine in a Kramer pocket or a Galco Ankle Glove open top. I have an Alessi APX that I ordered (read long wait) after talking to Lou about it, that should work well for my appendix carry. I also have a Serpa that I love but I don't wear it much, maybe this winter. My G27 rides IWB in a borrowed C-TAC that my friend never uses.

If you carry guns you must get a J frame.

#22 ·
If the G27 is too large, then I must surmise that your issue is thickness...in which case a Kahr will probably be your best bet. If thickness isn't the issue, then I'd STRONGLY encourage you to revisit a G27 for the following reasons:

1. You can use the same holsters as you do for your G23
2. You can use the same mags (esp. for a reload)
3. You minimize the difference between carry guns (trigger, grip angle, sight system, etc)--crucial for your reliance on muscle memory to take care of business (and not miss...and all this assuming you train regularly)
4. The G27 is very expandable. Go with a 9-rd mag w/ flat baseplate for smallest & most concealable config, +1 Pearce mag extender for 10+1 (my standard config), or a G23 mag with a grip extender (A&G) for a short barreled G23.
5. Should you choose to start packing a BUG, the G27's a natural in an ankle holster or other deep concealment rig...and again, you've got common mags & ammo between your two weapons.

If I was in your shoes it'd be a no-brainer...but that's just my $0.02.

#23 ·
All suggestions sound good. I haven't ruled out the 27 but I feel it is about the same to conceal as the 23...i think thickness is the issue.
I'm gonna hit the gun shop Saturday and ask to see:
keltec p3at
kahr 9mm
hk p2000sk
442 and 642
sig 239
kimber pro carry ii
bersa thunder 380
xdsc

We will see. I'm thinking I need to add a 442 or 642 to the collection. I want a take everywhere, don't think twice about it, reliable firearm. Definitely not in a hurry and gonna do my research...i can stil carry the 23 just need alittle baggy shirts...which i really really hate!

#24 ·
I don't think the snubbie revo's are going to buy you anything on thickness, but many people carry them very discreetly anyway...also check out the new Walther PPS. I've heard good things.

I've never heard a bad thing about kahrs--people that have them generally love them. I'd like to get one of their tiniest for pocket carry (PM40)...someday. I thought the G27 was going to be a pocketable gun...oh well. :)

Good hunting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.