testing out a 4013

testing out a 4013

This is a discussion on testing out a 4013 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The following post contains the combined text of my posts in a thread at Shooters' Legacy. That is why there is some timeline in the ...

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar

testing out a 4013

The following post contains the combined text of my posts in a thread at Shooters' Legacy. That is why there is some timeline in the comments.

---

When the department bought new pistols three years ago, the old single stack 4013s were traded in with the 4006s. One of the SGTs bought one of them. He is interested in getting a little revolver like my 642 I just bought. I told him that I was interested in it. I think the 4013 would make a very nice little carry gun. I'm very familiar with the manual of arms after having carried a S&W for the last six years.

This pistol does shoot quite a bit high. I compared the rear sight on it to my duty 4006, and the rear sight on the 4013 seemed to be very tall. I wonder if taking it to a mahcine shop and having some of the sight based machined away would lower the POI. This might be cheaper than buying an all new sight if the base is large enough to have some machined off of it. If not, a new rear sight might not be too bad on the wallet if I can get the pistol at a good enough price.

---

I have the pistol for testing now. It turns out that this pistol was never issued to an officer the entire time it was in inventory. This is the old single stack verion with no rail. The current production models are double stack with a rail.

This pistol has a very low round count.

---

The guy that bought it is one of our armorers. Smile

I would be absolutely shocked if it has had 200 rounds put through it.

I was looking at the sight when I got home it tonight. I held the pistol up to the light in a profile view. The rear portion of the Novak sight that usually sits on top of the slide behind the dovetail is actually high enough off of the slide for light to be seen under it. I compared that to my 4006, and the rear sight on it sits flat enough against the slide so that this is not the case. I think that this is why the pistol is shooting high. I think that if I take off the sight and run it back and forth flat on a fine stone I can slowy remove enough metal to make it sit flat. My concern is that I don't remove so much metal that it narrows the base of the sight so that it doesn't fit into the dovetail correctly. I think that I can do so without any harm as long as I take it very slow. Dropping the rear sight just slightly should be enough to bring the hits down.

It's been a while since I shot it; so, I will test it at some point this week to see where it hits. I priced some other trade-ins at the local cop shop yesterday, and I can get this pistol for a fair amount less than them. When you consider that I don't know the history of those other pistols but I do know the exact history of this pistol it makes the price look better even if I have to spring for a new rear sight. I would still be getting a practically NIB 4013 for much less than the NIB price. I would also get three mags, two of which have finger extensions. I'm not sure if a holster comes with it or not.

Plus, considering this would be a great carry pistol it would be worth spending the money to put night sights on it, which would negate the sight issue anyway.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I had one for a fanny pack pistol. Great gun, it eats everything. Mine was dead on with Gold Dots. I sold it, I bought something or other...

I had a 3913 ,which is just the 9mm version of the same pistol, for quite a while and was very impressed with it. Carried and shot great. Very good size for a CCW. Now that I think about it I can't for the life of me remember why I sold it.
    "I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."
    Mark Twain

Administrator

Talking You're Welcome!

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

DC Founder
    Looks like the same design as the 5904 9mm I carried in Denver. I still have that gun and it shoots great but it rarely gets out much these days.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

The one I am testing is the older model (pre-TSW). It is a single-stack with 8 round mags, and it does not have the rail.

I carry a 4006 (nonTSW) on duty, and I have the 4006 that was my first issued weapon.
    Shooters' Legacy

I put 75 rounds through it today. No problems with it hitting high, but it did hit left. However, the rear sight is pushed slightly to the left, which is easily fixed. Looks like I'll add this one to the stable as it is too good of a deal to turn down.
    Shooters' Legacy

Administrator

CombatEffective Sounds Great

Scoop It Up.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'd buy it! I'd also consider putting on one of the XS Big Dot sight systems.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Ive had to change the way I sight with a couple of guns I have. I dont know why but some are made to shoot with the front sight covering the target and some are a 6 Oclock Point of Aim. This may be how your little S&W is designed to shoot.

The space under the rear sight isnt the problem, to lower the sight youll have to move the dovetail down and that would require welding n remachining the dovetail.

Try the different sighting method.......It may work out for you.....
    Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

It looks as if the sight is in the dovetail crooked somehow. So, I'll take it out and install it again just to see if it helps. I had no problem with the virtical shot placement to speak of on paper. I had to adjust up a little on the plates.

I'm getting this gun for less than half of the retail price when brand new, and it might as well be a brand new pistol.
    Shooters' Legacy

Assistant Administrator
    I'm getting this gun for less than half of the retail price when brand new, and it might as well be a brand new pistol.
    Lee - in UK we have a word for lucking out to that extent - ''Jammy'' LOL
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I should have asked him about it before I bought the 642 because I'm going a little over budget making these two purchases so close together, but I have been putting off the 642 purchase for too long, and I'm glad I bought it.

The 4013 is possibly going to make my Glock 27 expendable. One of my shooting buddies wants it very much; so, I may sell it to him for what I have in it and use the money for something else or just bank it. I'm also considering selling off my 1911.
    Shooters' Legacy

Was just thinking today how much I would like to have a nice single stack .40, a used 4013 would certainly fit the bill and wouldn't be too hard on the wallet.

Thanks for the idea.

Monty,

I'm very pleased with the 4013 and the way it handles. It is much more pleasant to shoot than my Glock 27. The only advantages the Glock offers is capacity and mag compatability with the larger model in the same caliber. As I have no intention of obtaining any more Glocks in .40SW unless a "jammy" deal falls into my lap this isn't an issue for me.

Once I get the sight reinstalled like I want and get a holster I like for it the 4013 will probably become my primary carry gun.
    Shooters' Legacy

Links