Help finding smaller gun with bigger caliber

This is a discussion on Help finding smaller gun with bigger caliber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So after lugging around my XD-40 subcompact for a while I bought a Keltec P3AT for when I need to have something smaller. My small ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help finding smaller gun with bigger caliber

Help finding smaller gun with bigger caliber

So after lugging around my XD-40 subcompact for a while I bought a Keltec P3AT for when I need to have something smaller.

My small frame (5-9, 130lbs) makes it hard to hide the XD if i'm doing anything more than walking around so I find myself carrying the Keltec almost all the time now. I carry that IWB and can bend down without printing unlike the XD.

I love the keltec but 6 (or is it 7? I forget) rounds of .380 is a bit smaller than I'd like. What's out there that is smaller than the XD but larger caliber than .380? I prefer .40 or .45 but may consider 9mm if the price & size are right.

Are there any others that I could look into? I want something quality but priced within reason. Say $1000 max although I could stretch that a little for the right gun.

The Kahr PM-40 comes to mind. Although I don't know how big they are exactly, a C&S adventurer would be nice but I'm afraid thats out of my price range, even used.

What else is out there?

2. Remove Ads

I carry my full size 1911 most of the time but when i want something a little more concealable I carry a Keltec pf9 9mm. I carry it in a Desantis insider IWB holster and it disappears under a tee shirt with no printing at all. The pistol is so small that it is hard to believe it is a 9mm. It holds 7 in the mag and one in the pipe just like my 1911 and only cost me $275 NIB.

Hardcore

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    There probably is no smaller large calibre gun than the offerings from Kahr arms. But, they are expensive, and I've read about some reliability issues.
    I just purchased a Sig 239, in 40 cal. This is the smallest large cal. firearm they make.
    Walther has a brand new 9mm which is smaller, and the H&K 2000c is smaller. All high end guns.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Look at the Kahr line in 9mm or .40 ( for the " full sized kahrs ) 9mm on the sub compacts ( pm/mk series ) . Stay away from pm pistols serial numbered before the ab prefix as they have a reputation as problem children, the ab and later guns seem fine tho most folks seem happy with the 9mm over the .40 in this size pistol . If you can take a bit larger formfactor the p and cw series are fine lightweight pistols that are not a lot bigger than a walther ppks and again avalable in 9 , 40 and only slightly larger in .45. The Kahrs are extremely thin for the calibers they come in and light in the p/cw series with the polymer frames
    The Kel-tec pm9 certainly looks interesting also , and overall seems to be getting typical kel-tec reviews ( love it or hate it , no inbetween ) .
    If you can stand a bit of weight used H&K p7 psp police trade ins are now avalable for around 600 to 800 bucks from a variaty of sources and almost all reports have the grade a and b as near new guns , some apparently unfired .

Hope that helps get the old cogs turning for ya
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Might consider this little bad boy.....9mm

Or the Para Slim Hawg in .45 cal.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

[QUOTE=If you can stand a bit of weight used H&K p7 psp police trade ins are now avalable for around 600 to 800 bucks from a variaty of sources and almost all reports have the grade a and b as near new guns , some apparently unfired .

[/QUOTE]

FWIW... I bought one of those P 7's about a month ago and really like it. (Nobody will ever call it lightweight though.) I'm seriously considering getting rid of my Kahr TP 9. The P7 will be taking it's place now that I've got a good IWB holster for it......YMMV mike

PS : The P 7 will definitely require extra practice to get get comfortable with the squeeze cocker.... I'm 5'3" / 150#

i just got a taurus 731UL. it shoots the .32 H&R Magnum. it really packs a punch. it is a 6 shot 17oz revolver. it is so easy to conceal.

Kahr PM9. Mine's been perfectly reliable.

Photo with Walther PPK/s. The PM9 is smaller in every dimension and lighter. It does carry one less round, but 6+1 of 9mm beats my Kel Tec P3AT of 6+1 .380 every day. The P3AT is smaller and lighter than either the PM9 or PPK/s, but not by much next to the PM9. Just thinner and a bit shorter. Height difference is negligible. But, you wanted something stronger than the .380 cal...

My PM9 has also been much more reliable than my P3AT.

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    Might consider this little bad boy.....9mm

Or the Para Slim Hawg in .45 cal.
    I'd love to have a Rohrbaugh, but the price, reliability issues and not being able to use +P and beyond ammo is a deal breaker. That and they recommend changing the recoil spring every couple of hundred shots of STANDARD pressure ammo. I'll take the slightly larger Kahr PM9 in +P+ 9mm, please.

I LOVE my KM-40 and it vitually disappears in cargo pockets or IWB Blade Tech under dress shirt.

Never have liked 9mm...oh well...my 2 cents.
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

PM
    Hardcore meantioned the Keltec PF9 there is also the keltec P11. The pf9 is the p11 with a single stack mag. Keltec was looking to make a smaller gun than the P11 and that had a better trigger than the p11. I personally have fired niether but have held both the P11 feels better in my hand due to the double stack mag (the grip is larger) neither fit my hand when it comes to all four fingers on the grip; the pinky is doing the tea cup thing. Both the P11 and the PF9 are small enough to pocket care or to hide well under about anything IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by PM View Post
    Hardcore meantioned the Keltec PF9 there is also the keltec P11. The pf9 is the p11 with a single stack mag. Keltec was looking to make a smaller gun than the P11 and that had a better trigger than the p11. I personally have fired niether but have held both the P11 feels better in my hand due to the double stack mag (the grip is larger) neither fit my hand when it comes to all four fingers on the grip; the pinky is doing the tea cup thing. Both the P11 and the PF9 are small enough to pocket care or to hide well under about anything IMHO.
    Yeah, but the P11 has a TERRIBLE and LONG trigger pull, even with the KT trigger shoe installed. The stock plastic sights are terrible and the rear will push off with finger pressure. Mine came off during range shooting, so that's why there's no rear sight in my refinished P11.

Here's a pic of my P11 laid on top of my G19.

My P11 has been reliable enough and it is shorter than my G19 but it's not that much smaller or thinner than a G19 for IWB carry.

Basically, if you can't pocket carry a G26, you can't pocket a P11...

My KelTec P-11 is small but not fun to shoot. Actually, for that 'small' carry option, it's had to beat the P-3AT, but perhaps you may want to pick up a Glock-36...6+1 of .45 in a pretty thin package. It does not have that 'brick' feel because it's a single stack...I love my G-36!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Kahr P45.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Para Slim Hawg

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links