.45 ACP CCW Choice - P220 Compact vs. Colt Defender

This is a discussion on .45 ACP CCW Choice - P220 Compact vs. Colt Defender within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do people think about the choice for a .45 CCW between a P220 Compact vs. a Colt Defender. Here are some stats: P220 Compact ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 ACP CCW Choice - P220 Compact vs. Colt Defender

.45 ACP CCW Choice - P220 Compact vs. Colt Defender

What do people think about the choice for a .45 CCW between a P220 Compact vs. a Colt Defender.

Here are some stats:

P220 Compact is 7.79" long w/ a 3.9" barrel, weighs 31.2 ounces, and carries 6+1.

The Defender is 6 3/4" long w/ a 3.0" barrel, weighs 22 1/2 ounces and carries 7+1.

I don't have any width or height stats for each which would be very important for concealment purposes. I'm going to guess that the 1911 is slimmer, and the P220 compact is shorter.

It seems like the Colt Defender gets good praise in most of the forums I've seen. The 220 compact is new so haven't seen a lot on it.

2. Remove Ads

Well, I have a Sig P245 what the P220 Compact "replaced" and it was my primary carry gun for a good number of years. As I understand the P220 compact is identical to the P245 forward of the backstrap. The "ergonomics" have been slightly changed (such as the addition of a beavertail). Even the mags are interchangeable. The most important differences are two:
    #1 The Sig isn't a 1911 design
    #2 It's DA first shot.

Both of those are of critical importance to me. I'll trade the extra shot for the reliability inherent in the Sig design and not always present in the 1911 design when the barrel shrinks below 4.25" The late Jeff Cooper and I exchanged a round of letters on this very topic and he made it an addition to one of his Cooper's Corner editorials for Guns & Ammo. He agreed with me that it seems that the 1911 design becomes inherently flawed when the barrel lengths shrink below 4.25 inches. He said there are simply too many reports of FTF's and FTE's from across the nation to take a chance with personal defense. He said that he would never own one unless it was given as a gift. This pic of me was taken at an IDPA in 2006. January of 2006 IIRC. That's my P245.
    Attached Images
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Like Sigs, but vote for Defender this time

Quote Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
    P220 Compact is 7.79" long w/ a 3.9" barrel, weighs 31.2 ounces, and carries 6+1.

The Defender is 6 3/4" long w/ a 3.0" barrel, weighs 22 1/2 ounces and carries 7+1.
    I own a couple of Sigs although not that particular model, and also have a Colt Defender. In general, I like Sigs and feel they are highly reliable and accurate guns.

My Defender experience has been very good, and the gun has run through about 700 rounds so far without failing to feed or eject. I believe the "dimpled barrel" design used by Colt probably enhances feeding, and the use of a new recoil spring every 500 to 1000 rounds also probably helps functioning.

Given the choice of the two guns, I would pick the Defender because of considerably smaller size and weight (especially thickness), which makes it easier to conceal. I think the Sig is pretty hefty for a CCW with 6+1 capacity. I would pick the .40 caliber model P229 instead, which is not much bigger and gives you 12+1 rounds capacity.

Think it would be hard to go wrong with either of those guns. I have a Sig P239 SAS and a Sig P232 and have discovered why many folk think Sigs are the Mercedes of the pistol world. They are shooters and keepers.

I also have a Colt Defender with Crimison Trace grips that has been flawless. With the choice of CCW, I would probably go with the Defender because of size.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Thanks for the replies so far.....figure I'm aware of the trigger differences (already own a 1911 and a couple of DA/SA Sigs), so I'm trying to get a feel for size and conceal-ability between the two.

Another potential option is getting a lightweight Commander 1911 (say a Colt XSE or S&W PD), and then having the grip bobbed, but even then I think it will still be longer than either of the original options.

A final possibility is just going down to a 9MM and looking at the Sig P239, as that is shorter in length than the P220C (by an inch, though would think this is mostly due to the beavertail) and just about the same in height. (I want to stick w/ either 9MM or .45 in my autos).

New one

My new one, HK P2000SK in .40

Lead Moderator
    either one should work well for you. BTW, I found I can carry a 4" 1911 just as easy as a 3", because the slide is thin and doesn't bulge in the pants.
    Also I like the added inch of sight radius(easier to aim).
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I want a sig p220 bad. It's just not in the budget right now.

I shot one at the range today - Very accurate weapon.

I have never fired a defender, but I have fired Kimber and Springfield's chopped up 1911's and prefer the Sig to those.

Ex...

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Well, I have a Sig P245 what the P220 Compact "replaced" and it was my primary carry gun for a good number of years. As I understand the P220 compact is identical to the P245 forward of the backstrap. The "ergonomics" have been slightly changed (such as the addition of a beavertail). Even the mags are interchangeable. The most important differences are two:
    #1 The Sig isn't a 1911 design
    #2 It's DA first shot.

Both of those are of critical importance to me. I'll trade the extra shot for the reliability inherent in the Sig design and not always present in the 1911 design when the barrel shrinks below 4.25" The late Jeff Cooper and I exchanged a round of letters on this very topic and he made it an addition to one of his Cooper's Corner editorials for Guns & Ammo. He agreed with me that it seems that the 1911 design becomes inherently flawed when the barrel lengths shrink below 4.25 inches. He said there are simply too many reports of FTF's and FTE's from across the nation to take a chance with personal defense. He said that he would never own one unless it was given as a gift. This pic of me was taken at an IDPA in 2006. January of 2006 IIRC. That's my P245.
    From the looks of that wall, I thought for a minute that you might be at school and trying to get to your car...

As per the thread...I vote for the Sig...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lightbulb What ever you can shoot better...

The Colt would be lighter-big time. And thinner. These things make a difference at the end of a 16 hr day.

I have the 220 Compact and it shoots better than I can hold, trigger is nice, controls I can manipulate-but I carry a P2000SK.

Go figure.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Is that a Milt Sparks Versa Max II for the P220 Compact, or some other Sig?
    TIA
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Wink Roflmao!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    From the looks of that wall, I thought for a minute that you might be at school and trying to get to your car...
    It's pretty bad...but not THAT bad!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Question TIA? Blood Diamond?

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    TIA
    Thanks in Advance ...or....THIS IS AFRICA!

VIP Member
    I would go with the Colt.Mainly because it is a type of 1911.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    Is that a Milt Sparks Versa Max II for the P220 Compact, or some other Sig?
    TIA
    MS VMII for P229R, Compact fits just fine...
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links