Big or Little

This is a discussion on Big or Little within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After getting a chance to get some price quotes, ask the forumites, and otherwise ponder it, I finally decided to just pick a damn platform ...

Thread: Big or Little

Big or Little

After getting a chance to get some price quotes, ask the forumites, and otherwise ponder it, I finally decided to just pick a damn platform and caliber and live with it and decided on an XD in .40 S&W. The more I thought about it, the more I thought of it as a gun that appealed to my sensibility even if it's soulless and ugly.

What's interesting however is that then the debate became big XD or little XD. At first I reasoned little XD. I've been curious about it for some time. There's no known issue I could find with research with the subcompact model, and I thought the small size with the capability to have a full sized grip by adding a full size magazine with a spacer was just too neat.

However, I looked and realized the service model really isn't a whole lot bigger, and the thought suddenly occured to me that if I'm going to be using the larger magazines for the extended grip anyway, why not just buy the service sized model in the first place?

Well when all else fails, which one is cheaper? I checked my local sources and they're within $3 of each other.

I did find both models $5 cheaper than my local FFL offers them , but if I purchase through him I'll get the 12 round capacity magazines. Considering how much magazines cost that's the better deal.

The more I think about it though, why on earth would I want a gun that offers a two finger grip that can't be carried in a pocket? In fact I hate two finger grips with a passion; I don't shoot so well with such grips. The only reason I put up with it on my 642 is to facilitate the pocket carry I so adore.

Considering the wealth of good holster options out there for this particular gun, which will be another thread here in a few weeks, I see less and less reason to bother with the compact.

And the thought I'd like to end with is that the subcompact XD is not unique in its size category. It's just a good example of what the market has to offer. It's in that weird area between the compact fit in your pocket gun, and a full sized service gun. It's a size category I'm not sure I see a whole lot of use for personally. By the time I adapt it to my personal ergonomics, I've defeated the purpose utterly.

Or am I missing something as usual?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Ive shot all but the 5" tactical model......IMO, the 4" is the best of all worlds. Its large enough to shoot extremelly well and small enough to hide quite easily.
    Its amazing how many XD holsters I make lately........alot for the Compact but about 4-5 times as many for the std. barrel length. Im a big fan of pocket carry and agree with you......the gun is just too bulky to really work in that method of carry.
    Just my .02 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Shoot well.....
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

I like the 3 inch and the 4inch but i bought a 3 inch for carry hides really well almost as goo if not better than a snubbie i get 13 in my xd 9mm.. And a pocket carry is possible i do it a lot in a uncle mikes sleeve

Here's the thing about CCW gun choices... Once you get your CCW permit a Desert Eagle is just as legal to carry as an NAA Mini. We are quite often a little too concerned over making the gun as invisible as possible. Sometimes there is a good reason for that... other times, we are just being a little too paranoid. Carry the gun that you are most comfortable carrying. One that your trust, and one that doesn't make it obvious that you are packing. Really it's all a matter of how you carry rather than what you carry. Carry big, or carry little... whatever works for you. I used to carry a full sized SIG P220 concealed... and an HK USP full sized. Just use some common sense in how you pack it and you will be fine. I've got a brother in Virginia that packs a S&W 29 .44 Magnum... a big handgun by all counts. It works for him.

BTW... the XD... good choice. That's one solid pistol. The "Service" model is a good way to go because you will be able to shoot it all the better.

Thumbs up

I have a SA XD40 in GREEN on lay away at Kittery.....for 325.00...with bx..ex hi cap mags.and papers.......looks 99%........I considered the sw40VE due to price.but the SA seems best in a 4" BBl

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen
    Ive shot all but the 5" tactical model......IMO, the 4" is the best of all worlds. Its large enough to shoot extremelly well and small enough to hide quite easily.
    I agree. I really liked 4" XD-40. I found it to be extremely reliable and accurate and really a fun gun to shoot, in general. It carried and concealed well. I didn't have a good IWB so that type of carry was uncomfortable to me but am confident that a good holster would resolve that problem. I don't think you could go wrong with the XD. Ugly? Well sorta, but it grows on you....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

As far as looks goes, it ain't a 1911, but oh well. I love mine, it shoots very well and feels even better. I just need to get a good holster for it. I just ordered a Milt Sparks VM-II for my Kimber, so I might end up with one of those for the XD or maybe another CTAC.
    Euclidean- try to find somebody around you that has an agreement with Gallery of Guns. I have a dealer here who partners with them and their price is very good on them right now. Get the one with the stainless slide- they did have some problems with their finishes. Plus they look cool- I am thinking about getting mine hard chromed.

Actually hawk assuming I buy from my local FFL that's where it will come from. The only thing killing me is that I get paid once a month, so I have to hope they don't sell out by the time payday rolls around.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Need to ask--??-- Why do ya'll .40 cal. folk favor that over a .45 cal. Don't feel threatened, I am just curious. Heck, I could be missing something !!--------- It's happened before.

For me RSSZ it was a simple matter of convenience. Springfield dissppointed me and a lot of other people off by not engineering a new XD series frame for the .45 ACP. Instead they southern engineered the situation by making one in .45 GAP. That way they can say they offer the XD in .45 without actually making a new model chambered in .45 ACP.

One of my criteria for this gun was to be able to buy ammunition basically anywhere. .45 GAP is rare, .357 SIG isn't as common as I'd like it to be, and that left 9mm and .40 SW. I decided I want to try a .40.

If the gun was available in .45 ACP I'd get that no question. Heck if it was for shooting steel plates on special occassions I'd consider the .45 GAP. But I wanted a service caliber that was common as dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    ...One of my criteria for this gun was to be able to buy ammunition basically anywhere. .45 GAP is rare, .357 SIG isn't as common as I'd like it to be, and that left 9mm and .40 SW. I decided I want to try a .40.
    This was one reason I chose the .357 SIG. I love the cartridge, but by simply changing the barrel, I'm able to use .40S&W, if I need to. Prices on the .357 SIG have come down, so that defensive ammo for both is about the same price, but the .40 is a whole lot better stocked in places that don't cater to LEO's around here. FWIW, I think you made a good choice going with the larger platform.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

My wife has the XD 9 Subcompact and we both love it. I personally am a 1911 man hence I carry the Para Warthog in .45ACP, but the XD has a great feel. When we bought the XD it came with 3 mags, 2 10 rounders and 1 15 rounder with spacer. It also came in a nice hard plastic case with a Kydex paddle holster. I have found only one type of ammo it doesn't like and that was a cheap box of reload hollowpoints. It feeds everything else wonderfully, including cheapo Wolf ammo.

The SC also has the the quickest takedown of any gun I own other then the Makarov that I timed myself at 1.5 seconds for a take down. I think you will love the XD it is a great weapons platform.
    --------------------------
    Rantings of a Right Wing Nutjob
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VCDL Member
    USCCA Member

H&K USPc 9mm
    Para P-14 .45
    Para Warthog .45
    Bulgarian Makarov 9x18Mak
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Walther P-22 3.4"
    Ruger 10/22 .22
    Smith and Wesson 642 .38 +P

Got a chance to play with the 4" XD and 3" XD side by side about a week ago. Was shocked how big the 3" looked compared to my Glock 26. Just seems to be a whole lot taller. The Pearce extension on the mag didn't help matters a bit but ever without it, the baby XD appeared at least a half inch or more taller than the G26. Felt good in the hand and really liked the 4" one. My plan was to ditch the Glock 19 and 26 and pick up a 4" and 3" XD. Grip angle matches other handguns better, grip safety is a nice feature for a pocket gun, real steel mags. When I saw how big the 3" XD was I thought I better rethink my plans as I don't think it will carry in the pocket like a 26 would but without the grip safety I don't know that I trust the 26 in a pocket.

Still, that 4" felt real nice. If getting one that's the one I would get.

My personnal carry gun is the Para Warthog a 3" 1911. I don't carry anything else.
    --------------------------
    Rantings of a Right Wing Nutjob
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VCDL Member
    USCCA Member

H&K USPc 9mm
    Para P-14 .45
    Para Warthog .45
    Bulgarian Makarov 9x18Mak
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Walther P-22 3.4"