Older 2" snubby for SD...

This is a discussion on Older 2" snubby for SD... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My older S&W Model 36 (manufactured in the 1960's) can not handle +P loads. What are my options for a standard pressure SD load? Should ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older 2" snubby for SD...

My older S&W Model 36 (manufactured in the 1960's) can not handle +P loads.

What are my options for a standard pressure SD load? Should I go with the reduced recoiling 110gr "Personal Defense" loads by Federal or go with 158gr LSWCHP loads? Or something else?

I know this is one of those "oh no, not again" threads, but I have not found a definitive thread addressing this question regarding non+P loads through older snubbies that are still being used for SD.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    i use a model 36 also. i was advised by our sheriff's department to use winchester silvertips, the 110 gr load. this is what their detectives use i suppose. Now, the problem with the lighter loads is they will not generally shoot to point of aim, but are usually low, sometimes very low. you must check that carefully, although of course it is not really much of an issue at less than 7 yds. many people like wadcutters, but i havent had much luck with them. recoil with the silvertips is minimal, functioning is perfect, and in my gun they shoot okay so long as you are fairly close.
    just my two cents.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Administrator

Concerning your 60s S&W wheelie and its ability to handle +P ammo.

S&W does not recommend using +P in your Mod 36 gun because shooting a steady diet of +P will cause eventual cylinder "end shake" and could also cause the revolver to eventually go out of time and/or begin to shoot loose.

If your "Smith" is in good mechanical condition...that is not the same thing as saying that your S&W revolver will go KaBoom if you shoot a few cylinders of +P in it - and then reserve the remainder of your +P ammo for carry purposes only.
    Some folks DO that.

Usually though you should carry the ammo that you practice a good bit with...so you might just want to go with a non plus self-defense load that you'll be more familiar with if push ever comes to shove.

Non +P

I have a couple of revolvers that I don't use +P in. Although I have a stockpile of Nyclads, I use the 110gr Hydra Shok. I shot some into scientifically calibrated wet newspaper and I was satisfied with the performance. Although I doubt there is any danger in shooting the occasional +P round, I just don't in the old model 37 S&Ws.

Administrator

Thumbs up

A good local gun-smith could check his revolver out and tell him if occasional +P was OK or not.

There is some pretty doggone decent non plus out there these days so really it's just a much better idea to stay consistent with what a shooter practices with.

But, if the bad guy is ready to kick the old home front door in and all that is immediately available is the 1960s Mod 36 & some +P ammo then don't be afraid to stoke it with that and be ready and waiting for the bad guy.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I am not interested in loading +P in this revolver...I would like to stick with standard pressure loads.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    First answer is "the standard pressure load (JHP or LHP) that you shoot best in your gun.

A couple of places to start:

Speer makes what I'm told is a great 130 or 135 grain standard pressure load.

Buffalo Bore makes a standard pressure 158-grain load. It's probably pretty good, and I think the 36 was made for a 158-grain load.

I've a 36, but it's recent vintage, specifically OK'd for +P, but I sure wouldn't feel undergunned with one of those loads in it.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

I would go with the 158 grain LSWCHP. The .38 special was the dominant cartridge in law enforcement in this country for most of the last century. Most of the departments I am familiar with used this load, some of them even after +P loads came on the market. I figure they probably had a good reason for adopting it and then sticking with it.

Thanks for info everyone! Now to find that 158 LSWCHP rounds in standard pressure at the local shop...

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigsauer View Post
    Thanks for info everyone! Now to find that 158 LSWCHP rounds in standard pressure at the local shop...
    You probably won't...

Winchester, Remington & Federal all make standard pressure 158 grain SWC loads, but they aren't hollow points.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Can bullet expansion in a standard pressure load really be counted on when coming from 2" snubby?

Would a lighter hollow point bullet moved by a standard load be a good idea? I would think penetration would seriously suffer.

JWM
    Well, NYPD carried standard pressure .38 SWC (not the hollowpoint version; it was solid lead) in their revolvers from I think the mid 70's to the early 90's. Not sure of the brand. Prior to that, they carried the standard pressure 158 grain round nose lead (RNL) Anyway, that combined with a renewed emphasis on tactics led them by the early 80's to claim that they were winning 11 to 1 against the bad guys in actual shoot outs (Source: Calibre Press). Not bad at all in my book.

Hmmm. As a rule, I take any agency 's claim, whether local or national, with a grain of salt.

I would counter that these 11 to 1 odds were directly related to the introduction and wide spread use of Kevlar vests as standard gear for the NYPD during the mid 1970 and early 1980's.

You might consider +P in your revolver. You're going to find it easer to locate 158 grain SWC ammunition in +P guise. The +P .38 Special ammunition isn't going to take your revolver apart. I 've used a Chief's Special made in 1952 with Winchester +P 158 grain hollow points.

At any rate I'd choose standard velocity 158 grain SWC's over any light bullet +P load. The SWC cuts a plug out of it's target and gives good penetration. It shoots to point of aim with most fixed sight revolvers. Expect a 75 fps to 125 fps gain with the 158 grain bullet when using +P rather than standard velocity.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Here is some very good Ballistic Data for snubbies.

http://www.snubnose.info/docs/snubby_ballistics.htm

Lots of other good info on that site too!
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links