Thinking of buying a Ruger SP101

This is a discussion on Thinking of buying a Ruger SP101 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been toying with the idea of buying a Ruger SP101 with the 2 1/4 barrel just because, well, I don't own a double action ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying a Ruger SP101

Thinking of buying a Ruger SP101

I've been toying with the idea of buying a Ruger SP101 with the 2 1/4 barrel just because, well, I don't own a double action revolver and I like the one I handled in the gun shop. There is a choice between DAO with a bobbed hammer and double/single action.

I have read several comments on this group about folks who have had the hammer bobbed and the action turned into DAO. I think I'd like to start with one with SA/DA with the idea that I could have a smith bob the hammer later if desired. If I was to have this done, why not keep the SA capability?

I've read somewhere where the bobbed hammer could have some residual "stub" that could be checkered. Then, you could pull the trigger part way double action so as to be able to engage the hammer and thumb the hammer back for SA shooting if desired. I'd liked to be able to keep the SA function for the most accurate shooting when working up handloads.

Practical or not? Good idea or not? I'd be interested in any opinions.

Thanks, Cloudpeak

2. Remove Ads

I don't see the point in bobbing the hammer of an SP101 since it's not likely to be used for pocket carry. The SP101 is an excellent revolver but if you want pocket carry, a J frame S&W would probably suit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I don't see the point in bobbing the hammer of an SP101 since it's not likely to be used for pocket carry. The SP101 is an excellent revolver but if you want pocket carry, a J frame S&W would probably suit your needs.
    Even if the SP101 isn't carried in pant's pockets, it could be carried in a winter jacket pocket. Even if carried in an OWB holster, removing the hammer spur would sure lessen the possibility of snagging cover garments wouldn't it?

One reason I think I'd like to retain single action capability is that single action would be the most accurate way to test various loads. I know, I know, probably overkill but I like working up the most accurate load for every gun I've owned. I can't help myself

I've got the non-DAO Sp101 order but my local dealer shows them out of stock with both of his suppliers. There's no problem with getting the DAO. I stopped at the gunsmith yesterday and he quoted $20.00 to "bob" the hammer. Actually, I'm sure I can do it myself as I have access to a mill. So, I'm still leaning towards the DA/SA version.

Thanks, Cloudpeak

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpeak View Post
    Even if the SP101 isn't carried in pant's pockets, it could be carried in a winter jacket pocket. Even if carried in an OWB holster, removing the hammer spur would sure lessen the possibility of snagging cover garments wouldn't it?

One reason I think I'd like to retain single action capability is that single action would be the most accurate way to test various loads. I know, I know, probably overkill but I like working up the most accurate load for every gun I've owned. I can't help myself

I've got the non-DAO Sp101 order but my local dealer shows them out of stock with both of his suppliers. There's no problem with getting the DAO. I stopped at the gunsmith yesterday and he quoted $20.00 to "bob" the hammer. Actually, I'm sure I can do it myself as I have access to a mill. So, I'm still leaning towards the DA/SA version.

Thanks, Cloudpeak
    Whatever you decide to do the sp101 is an excellent choice.

No need to bob the hammer, just get the concealed hammer model!

My 2 1/4 inch 357 carried in a Galco pocket hoster is my BUG. It fits great in just about every pants pocket that I own. I think it's a great little gun.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I have two SP-101's! They are both DAO with the bobbed/concealed hammer. I love them and contrary to what others have said, I often pocket carry mine and it works quite well. Maybe heavier than a smith lightweight but I kind of like the comfort of knowing I'm grabbing a fight stopper and not a squirt gun.

Nothing helps soak up recoil like the all stainless SP-101 with their stock rubber grips either.

In comparison, I have a stainless steel Ruger Speed Six with 3" barrel that has a full hammer with spur and can be cocked single action. While that is great when I go target shooting, I prefer the bobbed snag free hammer of the DAO SP-101 when carrying for Self Defense purposes.

That little five shot snubby is one of those guns that will come through when circumstances are dire and you are under stress and don't want to be fumbling around with something snagging or hanging up on the draw.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    No need to bob the hammer, just get the concealed hammer model!
    So, you don't think there would be any advantage to being able to fire single action when trying to work up the most accurate load? I can always "bob" the hammer after load development and I would still have the ablilty to fire single action if I decide to try & work up another accuracy load. I was thinking that firing double action only might not be the best method for best accuracy.

I do intend to shoot double action. I'd also like to add that this will be my first double action revolver in 30 years. Way back, I had a couple of S&W 19s but all other revolvers I've owned and shot have been single action. In fact, I still have my Ruger 44 Blackhawk flat top, 3 screw I bought in 1969. I shot my first deer with that gun and quite a few coytotes, badgers and wild dogs on my ranch.

For the last few years, I've been shooting my XD40SC, a couple of S.A. 1911s and my latest pistol, a M&P 9mm. I don't have a double action revolver and I'm sure I need one I have high hopes of loading up some powder puff loads and trying to get my wife interested in shooting the SP. She can't work the slide on any of my semi autos.

Cloudpeak

The pull on my SP is pretty heavy, so an SA would be more accurate. Even so I can shoot this better than my semi-autos. You can get kits to lighten the trigger, but you have to be careful not to go to far and have light strikes.

I have had an SP101 for 7 years and like it a lot!, I put Eagle wood grips on it to get it in and out of pockets easier.
    I almost never carry it in a conventional holster.
    Pants pockets, vest pockets, a Uncle mikes generic belt bag.
    the initial double action trigger pull was on the rough side, but 600 to 900 dry fires smoothed that right out..
    I shot the single action about 35% better than the double action.
    I have also gone to .38 special +P loads as the Mags were ruining my hand and wrist.

Side note:
    When you go in to purchase this revolver; compare it too an X.D. 9mm w/ a 4 inch barrell. hold them side by side and compare the exterior dimensions.
    Then think about having 16 rounds of +P 9mm in the gun instead of 5 .357's in the revolver. Then take a minute to consider how long it would take you to reload both guns.

PS : I have both guns and will never sell either.
    Last edited by Arizonut; September 12th, 2007 at 12:54 AM.

It's easy to smooth the trigger on a SP101 to the point that you don't NEED to "lighten" it. I run factory weight springs (no light-strike issues) and it's as smooth as silk.

I would rather buy a conventional SP101 that go DAO. The factory bobbed hammer can be bought & installed if you want to, but it has no notch to allow SA operation. One point to remember, if you have a gunsmith "semi-bob" the hammer of a conventional SP101, it's tough to manually lower the hammer from SA "cocked" position because there's little left on which to hang your thumb. It makes AD/ND very easy.

SP101 is an EXCELLENT choice. I, personally, prefer it to the j-frame alternatives.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizonut View Post
    Side note:
    When you go in to purchase this revolver; compare it too an X.D. 9mm w/ a 4 inch barrell. hold them side by side and compare the exterior dimensions.
    Then think about having 16 rounds of +P 9mm in the gun instead of 5 .357's in the revolver. Then take a minute to consider how long it would take you to reload both guns.

PS : I have both guns and will never sell either.
    Arizonut, not sure if you were talking to me but-- I have a XD40SC and have put 5,000 rounds plus through it. It has been "bullet proof" but, after buying the 1911s, I didn't like the grip or trigger on the XD nearly as much. I much prefer my M&P 9mm (17 round mag IIR) to the XD and it's the same size as my LW Champion. I'd rather carry the Champ.

But, 16 rounds would probably be better than 5 .357 it's just that I don't own a double action revolver

I live in a pretty "tame" area. About the only thing to worry about around here is a crazed tourist or mountain lion once-in-awhile and, you'll probably never see the mountain lion until he snaps your neck from behind.

Cloudpeak

If he snaps my neck from behind...I still won't see him.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    If he snaps my neck from behind...I still won't see him.
    Good point, smarty

Cloudpeak

My wife has one, and it is a great little shooter. Even with .357 rounds it is very controllable.

I have thought about getting the hammer spur shaved some. Making the back end more rounded, and less likely to catch on some thing.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links