Cant get grips off:1911

This is a discussion on Cant get grips off:1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sure this is a problem some of you have had before, so before I damage something, I'd like some advice. The left side, bottom ...

Thread: Cant get grips off:1911

Cant get grips off:1911

I'm sure this is a problem some of you have had before, so before I damage something, I'd like some advice. The left side, bottom grip screw just turns without coming loose when I twist it. With the mag out, there is no perceivable way to stop the threaded insert from turning when I try to take out the screw. Any Suggestions?
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

2. Remove Ads

You should be able to turn out the whole thing then.
    You will have the bushing screw and grip all together still.
    I had that happen to me and that what I did. Then used a vice to grip the bushing and remove the screw.

the whole unit just turns with no vertical movement at all
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Sounds like you stripped the grip bushng threads.

Apply some outward pressure on the grip from inside the mag well as you turn the grip screw. Go Gently and MAYBE the bushing
    will release. IF not, drill the screw slowly so not to damage the grip. when the screw head is gone, gently pry the grip off the screw.

Or you can Bubba it, Drive a screw driver between the grip and the frame and pry upward until the grip breaks, remove the screw & bushing then duct tape the grip back on

Try taking the oppisite grip panel and bushing out and going thru the hole and try to stop that bushing from turning using a small screwdriver or pick of some sort, had the same problem once and it worked for me.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

Question drilling shouldn't be necessary

If you're unscrewing but the bushing is turning with the screw and the bushing is THREADED (ie not staked) you should be able to just unscrew the whole "kit and kaboodle" until the whole threaded bushing and all pops out.
    I had this happen once with my old colt. My bottom screw got me. I just unscrewed the top one like normal. Then unscrewed the bottom (threaded bushing and all ...all together) and the whole thing came off. Meaning I got the grip with the bushing and screw still screwed to it. I just put a pair of vicegrips on the bushing side afterwards and removed the screw. I replaced it(the threaded bushing) with a new one after I got them all separated(don't forget the loctite or whatever your preference when putting the new one in).
    Last edited by packinnova; August 28th, 2007 at 12:40 PM. Reason: emphasis
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I tried everything suggested so far to no avail. Maybe I can bring into the gun shop and see what they can do.

Administrator
    Is the other grip panel off?

Look carefully with a flashlight....you should be able to see the bushing turning from the other side. You'll need to make a small tool to hold that bushing from the flip side while you turn out the screw at the same time.

It helps if you have 3 hands. Or just PAD a vise and snug the frame in the vise just enough to hold it...don't kill it tight.

The threads are stripped either on the bushing or in the frame.

They are fine threads.
    The inside base of the bushing might be staked in a little bit to the frame & that is why it is just turning without coming out.

You can also try to just lightly tap the entire grip off from the rear.

Either the treads on the bushing or in the frame are stripped anyway so you have nothing to lose by doing that really.

The grip the bushing and the screw might all just pop off together.

It's not really a problem...after you get the bushing off you have two ways to go.

(1) ~ degrease the bushing & the frame hole and set the bushing back in with Loc~Tite RED............or

Buy the oversize thread bushings & the slightly oversize thread tap from Brownell's and just use one of the 4 as a replacement bushing after you retap the hole for the new thread.

Really if you just carefully remove all traces of oil from your existing bushing and the hole...the Loc~tite Red will hold it even if the threads are stripped.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'll give it a whirl!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Or you can Bubba it, Drive a screw driver between the grip and the frame and pry upward until the grip breaks, remove the screw & bushing then duct tape the grip back on
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    Actually Team that's not a bad idea either if it's just a "not too special" wood grip or the intention is to replace the grips anyway.

A small sharp wood chisel centered right on the grip and some taps with a mallet would split most wood grips.

Not something you would want to do with Ivory grips though.

Actually if you can just keep that bushing from moving a little bit then the screw usually frees itself for the bushing pretty easily unless it's cross threaded.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Springfield ? Lightweight Frame per chance?

I'm no 'mechanic', and I'm certainly no 'smith...
    I use the same gunshop (one of two)...one is .5 mile away. For something like that, they would quickly help me.
    My advice is to...ignore Beans...and head to a 'smith at your local gunshop...they'll fix it in a heartbeat, and you'll ruin nothing.

OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Springfield ? Lightweight Frame per chance?
    Not a lightweight frame... I actually did "bubba" it... even thought that suggestion was more of a joke. I'm replacing the grips anyway. Once I got the grip off, I was able to get some small vise grips on it and unscrew the screw.

Whatever you do, keep Loc-Tite Red away from all other parts of a gun. Grip bushing are the ONLY place it's appropriate.

It's RED for a reason! Beware!
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Links