Pocket Carry Ruger SP101 2.25"...

This is a discussion on Pocket Carry Ruger SP101 2.25"... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pocket Carry Ruger SP101 2.25"... While I have read a number of positive post about carrying the SP101 in the front pocket and on the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Carry Ruger SP101 2.25"...

Pocket Carry Ruger SP101 2.25"...

Pocket Carry Ruger SP101 2.25"... While I have read a number of positive post about carrying the SP101 in the front pocket and on the other side of the coin I have read negative post regarding itís perceived heavier weight compared to the lighter J-Frame S&W. Though the reports are probably subjective just like recoil. I think a lot of the negative opinions are based on what the individual is willing to tolerate. I would think that with proper clothing would probably fit the bill in a lot of the cases. In other words if I would to wear lose fitting casual slacks whereas the revolver was actually bouncing off my thigh after each stride I would have to admit that it would be an unpleasant experience. However using different slacks wearing say jeans, cotton, denim or canvas etc which the pocket would be made up of more accommodating material and supporting the weight would make for a more appealing carry mode. I am not going to carry my SP101 in Hagger Dress Slacks, I will carry in a holster rig instead of pocket carry. I would not hesitate on pocket carry in jeans or the like material...

As always just my thoughts....

Dave

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I agree that the SP weight is probably for most folks just too heavy but ...... certainly well chosen pants could make things better.

That said - out of my own pants choices I really do doubt that the weight wouldn't 'pull' sufficient to show or, make for uncomfortable walking. I am not a fan of Airweights but feel they are about as heavy a revo as should be for pocket.

Could be too - afterthought - something on opposite side of similar weight could balance things up a bit. Maybe a whole bunch of ammo
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I find my SP 101 to be bit too heavy for my liking as a pocket carry gun, but I have done it and will do it in pinch. It works fine in a coat or jacket pocket in the cooler months too. For regular pocket carry, I prefer my Keltec P3 AT, as it is smaller, lighter and flatter.

For IWB, with the SP 101 I use a Concealco holster. secure and easy to conceal.
    Last edited by sass20485; August 30th, 2007 at 07:04 PM.

I'm just not a big fan of pocket carry but if I were going to do it I'd want one of the light J frame DAO snubs. The SP101 is a fine revolver. I'd want to holster carry it, probably OWB. There seems to be a good selection of holsters available for the SP101 as well.

When I carry my wife's SP, I use an IWB at the 2:00 position.

Sag ...

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Weight does not bother me; pocket depth is important to avoid the end of the grip being visible. I will carry TWO SP101 snubbies in the front pockets sometimes, wearing Wrangler Riata slacks.

Its a fine revolver alright, it was too heavy for me to carry.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    too heavy for me; I carry my 3" OWB on hikes, hunting, etc, even then it's a bit heavy. I love this gun but find it an odd duck since its just about a j frame with only 5 shots but feels like a 6" full size revo on the hip. Mine shoots great, looks great, etc. but the weight is what makes it less of a CCW option for me. And pocket carry ?

gotta be a big fella with big pockets!
    God Bless
    Gideon

I personally think it's just too heavy for pocket carry. To be comfortable that is. I carry mine in a Thunderwear holster. And I have a Crossbreed ordered. I wasn't too sure about having the magnum pointed at my boy's but in all honesty when it's in the Thunderwear you forget it's there. When you sit to drive or sit in general, you can feel the grip somewhat. I can wear a swimsuit and a tank top and you cannot see any trace of the weapon. There's my $.02 worth.
    Here's a couple pic's.
    Attached Images

These pair of denim slacks http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/d...ture=Product_5 will make my SP101 front pocket carry a viable option. The pants have 12" deep front pockets as advertised.

Dave

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Pockets are for change...get a good IWB and never look back...:)

I have carried both ways and have not had any problems carrying in the front pocket with a good pocket holster. IWB is my choice when I can cover it, but that is not always the case. The DAO (hammer spurrless) 2" SP-101 is great for pocket carry, but wear a good belt.

tex
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

I have mine in my back pocket now. ( Carpenter Pants )

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    I have mine in my back pocket now. ( Carpenter Pants )

Yes, I do agree.... I have even looked at the jeans Wally-World carries a few days ago and most of their jeans whether they are carpenter or not would suffice.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links