PPS report - Page 2

PPS report

This is a discussion on PPS report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; gentlemen, thank you. to answer a few questions, although i prefer IWB carry (nobody makes an IWB holster for it yet) this weapon is perfectly ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PPS report

gentlemen, thank you.

to answer a few questions, although i prefer IWB carry (nobody makes an IWB holster for it yet) this weapon is perfectly at home in my front pocket. its so dang slim that i find myself having to reach down to check to make sure its still there sometimes.

concerning the finish, although asthetics arent really important to me in combat weapons, this frame is beautiful. the pictures look good, but in person its even better. i only keep weapons that i can carry but this one is so dang "pretty" i almost want to put it in a glass case. ill most likely get another in black when available but only to compliment what i have now and certainly not to replace it for carry.

as with anything however, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. for some reason the wifey finds beauty in me so who am i to question it?

Member Array Angel in San Antonio's Avatar

40 cal question about the pps

Hi,

without trying to open a can of worms, can you tell me your honest opinion about what you might anticipate on the pps going to 40 cal. with the benefits and downfalls? I bought a 40 cal taurus ptmillenium pro and only because the price was great for a first gun. Was glad i did because the recoil was so slight from the exat gun of the 9mm caliber. I feel very confident of the 40cal and know placement is also a big issue when shooting any weapon. just wondering your thought of the 40 cal vs. a 9mm. Remember i'm about 6 months new shootor and appreciate any and all comments. i've comfortably put about 1000 rounds downrange, and know the p99compact or the pps will be my next gun without any doubt.

Thank you very much for your comments,

Angel

The PPS was designed for the 40S&W, so I wouldn't expect any problems.

Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

Quote Originally Posted by Angel in San Antonio View Post
    can you tell me your honest opinion about what you might anticipate on the pps going to 40 cal. with the benefits and downfalls?
    the main reason the .40 exists is because law enforcement wanted more capacity than .45 and the 9mm of that era just was not getting the job done. that said, 9mm ammunition has come a long way since the .40 was developed. todays 9mm loads (particuarly +P rated loads) are proving far more reliable because their penetration and expansion are more consistant. i do not feel under-gunned when i carry 9mm +P corbon loads in either 125 grains (1250fps) or 115 grains (1350 fps!), but i would not carry 9mm in the 1100 fps range which is what most loads tend to run. many will tell you "shot placement is everything" and if you do your job the bullet will do its job but i dont buy into that belief. shot placement is indeed critical, but the bullet still must do its job by penetrating adequately and hopefully expanding.

the bottom line, if you can shoot .40 accurately, comfortably, and consistantly i would recommend it over 9mm....but 9mm +P is certainly adequate for self defense. i typically carry .40, but today im carrying 9mm +P and feel perfectly safe with it.

Great review. Can you give us an idea of price for the weapon and for additional 7 and 8 round mags? I have large hands and I know that the basic 6 rounder will not be comfortable for me to fire.
    Mike

Spring Break Fallujah '06
    "Always Flexible"

Quote Originally Posted by SemperGumby View Post
    Great review. Can you give us an idea of price for the weapon and for additional 7 and 8 round mags?
    certainly sir. i paid roughly $650 for my first edition. you can get them a little cheaper if you find them locally. i had mine shipped in from a distributor on the east coast and paid shipping both ways (from the distributor to a dealer, and then from the dealer to my local dealer who couldnt order from that particular distributor) and then i paid $20 for the ffl transfer. i have no idea what the 7 and 8 round magazines would cost. all three come with the first edition, and the 6 and 7 round mags come with the standard version. i dont think the magazines are even available for purchase yet, but i could be wrong.

+1 on the holster. I bought one as well and am still looking for a good IWB or OWB holster for it.

CCWINNC

I contacted Walther support and asked about a holster from them (after all, they made the gun). Their email reply is:

"Hi, It will be months before we have a holster. Keep in touch with
    us for availability. Thanks."

Well my SmartCarry arrived today, and it may be as good as everybody says!
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Thanks Nathan for the good report here and the other site.
    Cabelas had 6 of the 1st Ed. in the entire system, with 2 coming in the store near me, came in Monday (I had one on reserve) and the other one never hit the display as was on reserve also. $599 and activated my Cash Card for $150...that's $450 net or $150 worth of free ammo, or what ever.

Nathan, it look like you bought a horrible gun. Wanna Sell it?

Serious, thanks for the report. I would really like to have one myself. Guess it is going on the list.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

my friend is interested in this new gun- I was too until I found out the warranty is only 1 year. I'm getting a HK- lifetime warranty. I think that says something.

ive read any walther stamped s&w on the slide will get s&w's lifetime warranty. i cannot confirm this, but will try.

Walther PPS report

Thank you for taking the time to write and share. I am a left handed shooter and looking for something between my .32 Seecamp and my fabulous Colt Officers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links